World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will shortly be shore fishing during a holiday in Lanzarote. I will only have a light telescopic rod with me. Can anyone offer any advice on methods and baits???

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
As you are limited by your tackle I suggest you take some small bubble floats & some size 16 trebles. if you cast out a piece of bread flake with a small treble in it it will bring loads of tiny fish up to nibble at it, then suddenly the water will explode as something big comes up to grab the bread before the tiny ones eat it all.
You can do the same sub-surface with a piece of shrimp or a sliver of squid, but I have found the best fun to be a surface fished bread flake, the last hour of daylight & dusk being your best time (you wont be going on the booze before 10 anyway). My best fish on bread flake 3.1Kg Black Bream, El Torro, Majorca, 1999, tight lines!
blueskip

·
The Bush Kangaroo
2,807 Posts
hi stanleybell first what part of lanzarote are u going to
i use to live in costa teguise were i did my fishing from the enclosed beach there from the rocks fishing on the outside i used raw chicken to catch my live baits i think they are called lobina or something like that i then used these free line and caught barracuda and garfish best barracuda was 8.6kg and best gar was about 3kg good luck

tight lines
skippy

·
Registered
274 Posts
The baitfish are called Bogue´s, the Lubina is our Sea Bass. I used to fish in Teguise and Play Blanca a fair bit myself and think the way Skippy suggests using livebait is great fun.If you ledger them on the sand patches on a foot and half trasce youll get the odd Ray too.

Light float tackle using ccoked prawn on the hook will get you mullet,bass,breams,umbrine,small wrasse and damsels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hello, i don't suppose this idea of fishing flak bread will work in Sardinia ?? we are off there in may and have aleady found out its just £30 to take the fishing rods in a bazooka tube so well happy lol

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
iv'e had some nice lizard fish and bream by gently nudging a small strip of squid along the sea bed, an inch at a time, also, if you fish playa blanca, try to get down to the lighthouse end, good big fish here to tradition ledgering, the locals catch wrasse like fish on dried crab, remember you need a licence, seems to be overlooked for tourists, but you do need one officially.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
oh, and try to fish with some height, the fish are masters at diving into the volcanic rocks and staying there.:blink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum - and new to sea fishing - and new to Lanzarote (spotting a pattern here :) ). I've been pondering on taking it up, not an entirely new to fishing though, I used to do a lot of coarse fishing when I was younger. Anyway, bottom line is that on a whim today I bought myself a rod and reel today and joined this forum in the hope that perhaps I could get a few tips.

I live in Playa Blanca, and as was suggested here was thinking of going down to the lighthouse area.

The things I could realy use some help with is:

What are the best methods here - and were might I find some information on what tackle to buy and how to set it up?

What are the best baits?

I wasn't aware of the need for a licence... So where would I get one and how much?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
557 Posts
alangnw, check the previous posts about Lanzarote and Fuerteventura with the surch tool. The answers to all your questions are there.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
hi alan, all i can say is you lucky ######, if you live there then the licence is easy, you have to go to arricife, or maybe yaza admin offices with passport photos, ni number and a small amount of cash, as vlad says, check out the search for lanzarote.
i would fish the lighthouse differently to the more 'beachy' areas, most important would be a smallish wire trace to the hook, as some of those atlantic fish are toothy critters, as you know, there is a significant tide rise and fall, i think the best is to target high water, and look for some water with a rip in it, use fish or squid baits to a normal running ledger, if you have a big rip, use fixed wire weights, there is a good tackle shop in pb, looks like a hardware shop, just up the main road before the shipyard.
had some nice bream to 5lb at matargorda using squid heads and bubble floats, cast over the black volcanic rocks, fish the float deep with a stop about 12 ft, anyway, give you a shout when i am over, some time in late april, cheers, woodsy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Woodsy. Was talking to a local shop owner who hires out tackle (he also sells bait from what looks like a card shop next to Alfie Moon's pub in Punta Limones) about the licence. Apparently you have to go to the Cabildo in Arrecife, with €12 in your pocket - and this place being the way it is it'll take the best part of half a day being messed around. But hey, its a small price to pay isn't it :). It was suggested to me that VERY few residents here have them.

The shop you mentioned is Ferracur (sp?), which indeed does just look like a hardware store - but has a pretty good selection of kit in the back, bought my stuff from there. There's also a shop just down from the post office that sells just about everything including tackle.

Do, as you suggested, give me a shout when you come over....

First time out for me tomorrow. I got some light float gear for starters and figure if I'm catching with that I'll try a live or dead bait afterwards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll be here for a while woodsy. Seems I have much to learn.

Went out for the first time on Sunday for a couple of hours down by the harbour. Got nothing using a float and squid for bait... However - it is serving its purpose, getting me out and away from work. Made me remember just why I used to love coarse fishing so much (not much of that to be had here!:) ). How could I live somewhere like this and not fish!

Any suggestions for other spots or methods in Playa Blanca? Maybe next time I'll get one - won't be this week though I busted my knee up last night - and will be a few days before I'll be clambering over rocks again!

·
Registered
557 Posts
alangnw, I am comming to Lanzarote on the 8 March for a week.
I'll be staying at Costa Teguise but I'll have a car and can come to see you in PB.
Send me your telephone number on:

[email protected]

I'll show you how to catch more fish than you can eat :)
Just take me to a local Tackle shop so I can buy bait and speack to the shopkeeper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Vlad, would love to take you up on the offer - would be great to learn a few tricks Will send you my email address and number via email. If you're bring the Mrs on holiday - bring her down with you and my Mrs can entetain her in PB...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Great thread this, which I'm watching with interest as I've got 2 weeks in Playa Blanca coming up soon, taking light and heavier gear for my first time fishing abroad (if you don't count Cornwall). Already staining my chair with excitement.

Haven't yet done the back-searching, but are there any particular dangers lurking out there that I could hook into? I've never handled a stinger or barracuda before!

Thanks all
:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Weavers are the main one you could encounter when fishing over sand and are very commonYou may also get into some small stingray especially if using Mackerel or sardines,but doubtfull.

For the Weavers get as close as you dare and cut the line,dont mess about with them.

If you get a Stinger get it straight on its back, foot on its tail and unhook. Dont grab the tail as some do without a leather/gardening glove as the barb is saw like and the venom can attack through broken skin,it doesnt haveto "stab" you with the barb.

I caught this one yesterday evening and will be the average size you get where you are, although its a baby for here !!(excuse the photo,but youll get what i mean )

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7431/dscf2042nx0.jpg

This is me fighting one that i lost as it was being tailed(around50-60lb).The rod im using is designed for 120+ catfish so you can see the power of the fish putting the bend in it!

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8485/dscf2029ch4.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5889/dscf2035pv2.jpg

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i stung myself on a weaver recently in pb, very painfull, i astonished a group of sightseeing chinese by peeing on my hand for the sting, they didn't quite know what to make of it
whatch out for the wake from the ferries, it can come on you pretty quick if your around the rocks.
dont buy electrical goods from the indian shops unless you are absolutly confident in your product and price.
if you fish the deep south, around the lighthouse watch out for swells, this is oceano atlantico proper.
hope vlad and yourself have a great session or two, dont forget to tell us about it.
if you can capture and dry the small crabs, these make no 1 bait.
if you can buy the squid from supermarkets, a little tip, clean and cut into strips, then dry in the sun until hard( if you can keep the population of cats away), this helps to get through the damsel fish and pretty ones, it stays on the hook better.
there is a common little fish, bit like a silver mackerel, bogue i think?, if you can live bait these qver deepish ground you may get a big suprise, i fished the rocks at the end of the harbour at playa blanca, and put one on, unfortunatly i only had my little greys travel spinner and 7lb line, bit silly,:blink: , anyway, a great torpedo wake came towards my float and hit the thing like a hammer, it was huge whatever it was, gone in a blink.
have fun.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts