World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon guys

I am going on holiday to Filey the first week in November and looking to do a bit of shore fishing.

I used to live on the isle of man and loved going down to the shore/pier for a few hours catching Doggies etc....

Is there somewhere near Filey where i can do likewise....just to get away from the missus for a few hours....

Also when is the best time to go....on the IOM is was as the tide was coming in. What are the best baits and i would appreciate any advise you guys can offer.

Thanks

Coops

·
Registered
35 Posts
reet.....
filey bay after dark for whiting and occasional codling

filey brigg at low water fishing from the north facing side for codling pollack and collies, needs calm conditions though! probably your best spot!

head up the cost towards scarborough and try the marine drive and pier for codling and whiting

further north uve got the sea life centre, well sheltered and perfect in rough conditions!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats brilliant...thanks WellyCod.

How about baits guys....any advice? I used to use strips of squid or mussels in the isle of man....

I am not a beginner to fishing but i am a bit green about sea fishing..I used to be a big course fisherman but in the past few years work has meant i have had to sacrifice it :-(

The shore/pier fishing has been there to keep my line wet over the years so i am not as proficient in set ups etc...i usually use just a simple paternoster or running led rig.....trying to keep it as simple as possible....would you say i am taking the right approach?

I have a good beach caster and reel so the equipment is there...just my knowledge isn't as up to scratch as i would like it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
if u want t keep it cheap u wont go far wrong with muscle and squid,
but if u fancy splashing the cash (or getting ur hands dirty) lug worm and peeler crab are both good too!in terms of rigs simple is best, use hooks to match with the type of fish u want t catch, if ur after cod stick with at least a 3o and pile the bait on!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks wellycod, your a top bloke.

Your advice has been fantastic......am quite exited now even though it is months away....

does the tide play a part in the best time to fish....a rising tide was always best on the IOM as it brought the fish in....although to be honest you could catch at any time over there...

After looking at various maps it looks as though there is deeper water quite close to filey brigg so as long as there is a bit of a swell it should fish quite well....would this be correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers derm

Will have a look at that site when i get home.....work PC wont let me look at it for some strange reason....think it is cos its classified as a "hunting and gun sports" site.....

Big Brother is watching hahahaha

You guys are amazing and being really helpful....thanks again!

·
Registered
164 Posts
you cant do much better than filey brigg,lugworm tipped with squid,ragworm,peeler crab all can score on their day but use a breakaway
as the area is snaggy! also contact the local butcher a.colling he was shore champion north east last year 2007.regards shank50_1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts