World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Shore fishing Norway 63lb halibut!

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dazthehappyhooker 
#1 ·
Hello
What a fantastic week we have had at Skarnsundet Fjordsentre. The cod fishing has been up to its usual great standard with Straumen slipway and Stus points producing double figure cod on most sessions. We have no seen many Cod over 20lb in the February period like we have in the past 5 years but I do think this is down to it been the warmest winter in 30 years!
Dave with some quality cod from Stus point!

The high light of the Welsh Warriors week was our day trip up to Einvika were the boys wanted to try for a halibut. I took them to a mark I had been fish over the past three in search of some monster flatfish. I have four good marks for Halibut on the coast, which is about 1.5 hour drive from Straumen. Two of the marks fish on the flood and two in darkness. A the tides were flooding in the daylight I choose the Einvika mark. Knowing from previous experience that the halibut mainly feed over High water and its possible to get multiple runs in*a short period, we got there at Low water. This would give the lads some cod fishing up to High then the chance of a Halibut over the top.
We were not disappointed! The cod were coming in steadily all day with the biggest cod falling to Steve at 16 lb.

Tension was mounting as High water approached, Andy's ratchet was the first to scream away, resulting in a nice 14 pounder. His first ever halibut so we were well chuffed.

After casting back out 10 minute later It was off again but this time there was no sign of it stoping! After a 10 minute battle the Monster flatfish surfaced. I was quick to set the gaff into a 63lb Monster. Congratulations Andy, the fish of a life time mate!

Check out the video…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKeGyw1DMIw

I always thourt it was possible to catch a halibut one 100lb from the shore in Norway and now Im certain!

Challenge excepted….
Phill
Nordic Sport Fishing
post@nordicsportfishing.com

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Phill,

Been following your shore caught halibut reports on facebook but I haven't saw anything in the way of the traces you use?

I am out at Sandland Brygge in May and one of the boys had his hook straightened by a halibut whilst fishing for plaice when we were last out there last September.
A few of the guys who were there the week after us had them to just under 20lb off the harbour breakwater and I've heard that a diver was down in the harbour checking the moorings and said the place is littered with them so we know they are there.

I was thinking along the lines of just using a beefed up clipped down pully pennel rig, 150lb snood to act as a bite piece?
Any hints and tips of rigs would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Daz :)

#6 ·
We use standard pulley rigs but we up the snood to 150lb
A pair of 6/0 or 8/0 hooks with the top hook whipped into place so it cannot slide away
Then above this we put some luminous floating beads to add bouyancy. Halibuts eyes look upwards so a bait suspended a couple of foot off bottom helps attract them.
Then a half or whole herring, lots of elastic, lots of waiting and then some luck and you get a screaming run!!
Me and Phill just spent a week at Saltstraumen prior to him guiding the lads on their epic 63lber.
We had a fair load of halibut and big cod. A full report is going up this weekend.
Ps
WOW that 63lber is an awesome capture

#7 ·
Sorry to butt in (boom boom) but I think choice of rig is more important. When we first started fishing that mark 3 years ago we never caught a halibut. As soon as we started fishing droppers we started catching them. Pulleys will catch halibut but there is the chance the weight can spook the fish if there's not enough tide to pull the bait away from the weight.

#12 ·
Many thanks for the replies, hints and tips guys regarding getting halibut from the shore.

I have ordered a few large luminous floating beads to add to my rigs and will see how I get on. We will be out on the boats for pretty much the whole time chasing a 'Big Butt' but will take some shore gear in the chance the weather is pants and I would prefer to go shore fishing to save me spewing my ring as I suffer from bad seasickness lol.

Keep the reports coming guys, they are great! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.