World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Is It A Private Island As The Population Have Bought It ?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i think they are trying for an exclusion zone around the perimeter because the scallop dredgers have been ripping up vital myrle (i think thats how you spell it)which is a growth crucial for a lot of breeding fish and sealife in which if left alone arran has an abundance and would benifit the island and that area of the clyde dont know if this is aimed only at commercials or includes us dont know if it is in effect yet.at least theres someone positively taking action in the clyde those dredgers are wrecking everything.i think they have a website

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
you CANNOT shore fish lamlash , expect cold looks if you fish elsewere on the island tackle n bait shop whiting bay charter boats from lamlash
you wont get much peace if locals or conservationists catch you fishing on arran
theres rare weed and other aquatic life around its shore fishing is frowned upon last year i saw two guys nearly get into a fight trying to fish brodick bay some golfers and dog walkers took offence to them
take your chances but remember the wicker man lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you CANNOT shore fish lamlash , expect cold looks if you fish elsewere on the island tackle n bait shop whiting bay charter boats from lamlash
you wont get much peace if locals or conservationists catch you fishing on arran
theres rare weed and other aquatic life around its shore fishing is frowned upon last year i saw two guys nearly get into a fight trying to fish brodick bay some golfers and dog walkers took offence to them
Thanks for the advice lobbit, me-thinks I'll stick to charter from Lamlash as I don't fancy upsetting the natives.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Why?????????

they didn't get the go ahead for a no-go area!

·
Registered
166 Posts
i've been fishing on arran quite a lot and never had any problems with locals . Although if you are wild camping expect some problems. the locals really dislike that!

at Lochranza fish the point at the castle on incoming tide, plenty sea trout around there.

Brodick, walk round the beach till you find a small river, at high tide this river attracts shoals of large mullet (summer months) i've had sea trout here too.

whiting bay fish kingscross point, deepish water, expect mackies, pollack mabey doggies.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try Clauchlands Point at Lamlash. As it is round the corner of the bay it is out of the exclusion zone. Turn left as you drop down into Lamlash and follow the road as far as you can then walk to the point. Fish from the second post which you will see as you round the corner. The bottom pic shows where you are in relation to the corner of Holy Island which is showing on the right of the pic. Hope this helps enjoy!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Used to fish there years ago on, used to catch ballen wrasse, cuckoo wrasse, mackies, pollack, conger and even ling. Might give it a try this summer sometime.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can appreciate their wish to conserve fish stocks and their marine environment, but that's no different to anywhere else. I would like to think most sea anglers are extremely considerate when fishing, only taking what they really need and returning what they don't, thus minimising any impact.
It would be a shame if there was a blanket fishing ban on Arran, as it is such a beautiful island, and as lobbit has already mentioned there is a tackle shop in Whiting Bay which would suffer if no one fished there.
So thanks for all the info guys, I'll take my gear with me and chance being run off the island by angry locals!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts