World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
what a great fish , id say that IS a shore rockling though not 100% on it , Davy holt ??

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I'd say it's a 3 bearded rockling.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
If I could see a picture I would tell you what I think! :laugh:

·
Registered
556 Posts
That's 3 bearded, shore rockling are a smooth brown/light brown colour with no "blotches".

Nice fish bud!

·
Registered
687 Posts
To me all the pictures of 3 bearded on there have the same patternation which is different to Daniels fish.They are in general much lighter.I admit that Daniels fish is quite mottled but I don't see the telltale blotches that the 3 bearded have.Also although the photos are not great especially when enlarged the mouth does seem shorter than that of a 3 bearded.I wonder if a shore rockling can take on this mottling when they are very large and in row?
Alternatively is it possible it could be a Hybrid?
Unfortunately the photos are inconclusive and it seems opinion is quite split

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was 39cm from what i can make out on my picture...i have a few more photos but it doesn't show any more than the ones i posted.

I personally now looking back on it and on all my pictures of the many Rockling i have caught and i am sure that i have caught alot of small Mottled Shore Rockling? Here is another Picture....i am sure a Three Bearded would look different (Typically Blurry Photo Again!) Dont really spend time on photographing these haha

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
All of the above pictures are shore rockling. They are a uniform dark brown, sometimes with a paler mottling, exactly as you see above.
A three bearded rockling is pinkish, or light brown, with dark stripes and spots, like a tiger or leopard. Absolutely nothing like you see above.
When you see them side by side, the difference is obvious.
Also, a 3b rockling has a much larger mouth.
Look at the "Unraveling the rockling files" thread whose link is above and you will see some proper 3b rockling.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i have to agree looks like a shore rockling to me but i looked at it said shore looked agian said three beared but am going with my first thaught and saying shore rockling

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Shore Rockling for my money, I had one with very similar markings off Roker pier a couple of years back:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have to admit that I’ve always been unsure of these mottled fish.

It raises the general question of fish recognition and distributions. Many of the books, and I have most of them, are lacking in the Illustrations, descriptions and distributions. All have errors in them.

I’m unaware of any organisations who are collating all the useful data that anglers can provide.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
That's a bloody great big shore rockling . dark in color tether than light /pink .smaller mouth. Plus the 3 beard has a larger tail . cracking fish .should of put it in a bucket of water and had it weighed then returned

·
Registered
815 Posts
Normally I wouldn't say this regarding a Rockling as they are a pest to catch, but thats one huge rockling, well done, never caught one that big.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts