World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice some guys are listing shore rockling on their species list. Are these really shore rockling or five bearded rockling?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
it's easy enough to tell the difference, shore rockling have 3 beards and 5 bearded have, er, well....5.
If you put a shore and a 3 bearded together the difference is noticeable. 3bd can grow very much bigger than the shore rockling.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bungy,

Shore rockling are a particular species. Both "shore rockling" and "3 bearded rockling" have 3 barbels

·
Registered
221 Posts
The rockling that I have been catching are a reddish brown colour, usually about 6-8 inches long. They definitely have 3 beards not 5. I couldn't be certain if their not 3-bearded rockling, but I thought they were usually much bigger and lighter in colour.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
i think .... shore rockling.... is just a general name.

the species are 3 and 5 bearded rockling. both caught from the shore.

i,m sure that there is actually more species than these 2 though.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
In British waters there are five species of rockling, the 3 bearded, 5 bearded and shore rockling are all quite common. Less common is the 4 bearded which is a deep water fish, and the northern rockling which can be confused with the 5 bearded, although this is a very rare fish. it has a row of barbels fringing the upper lip as well as the 5 barbels. Neither 4 bearded nor northern appear as having been caught in the Scottish record list.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
now i,m getting confused and i have caught hundreds of them.

gona need a picture to sort it out.

we get loads of the small dark brown ones up to 8in long locally and i have had a few heuge light brown/pink spotted ones off the rocks in north wales.

i never seem to count there barbles either. so what is a shore rockling?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just looked at the web site sent by capt,n haddock. What I have always thought of as a three bearded looks more like the shore rockling, Well done that man .certainly shows the difference, Still hate the little buggers though
Gray

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to the books I have 3 bearded have markings such as spots and shore rockling are plain in colour. I know 3 bearded are quite variable and can be pretty dull in colour or bright red.

I would be interested in just how common they are and in which regions they are common. I fished a lot in Cornwall, Dorset, North Wales, South West Ireland and Sea West Scotland and I've never even seen one.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
All three species are taken regularly from the shore in S.W.Scotland, the two smaller species usually by dropping a bait down the side of the rocks. The three bearded I have seen caught have caught by anglers targeting doggies in mixed ground using mackerel bait or similar. Quite often both shore and 5 beard have been taken on clean ground, close in during the winter months.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
According to the books I have 3 bearded have markings such as spots and shore rockling are plain in colour. I know 3 bearded are quite variable and can be pretty dull in colour or bright red.

I would be interested in just how common they are and in which regions they are common. I fished a lot in Cornwall, Dorset, North Wales, South West Ireland and Sea West Scotland and I've never even seen one.

both 3bearded and shore rockling are very common on rocky/weedy marks in north devon.a regular bycatch at most venues i fish.

sorry about the quality on the first one, you can see the different colours of the shore rockling compared to the 3 bearded in the last pic.

shore rockling

3 bearded.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
That is an excellent picture of the 3 bearded, showing all its spots, marbling and blotches, and it also shows the mouth going well back beyond the eye, which does not occur with the other two.

·
Registered
706 Posts

You couldn't have done much fshing near rocks in Cornwall then mate... they are pretty abundant here!

·
Registered
975 Posts
To put a spanner in the works - whats this one then ?

This was just on 1lb in weight - caught last week ... I thought a bloody big 5 bearded as it was the usual dark brown colour and caught in the area (Eastney) where I have caught quite a few 5 bearded before ...... but

... look at this - definatley only had 3 barbs :g:

So a 3 bearded in this dark colour or a 5 bearded with 3 barbs :blink:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts