Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHOREHAM BEACH
FISHING CHALLENGE

Competitive angling has reached a bit of a low point in recent years with many clubs struggling to attract more than a dozen anglers to their matches. The current 'catch and return' format that is used in many matches concentrates on an anglers ability to catch everything that is in front of him and every fish caught that is 18cm and over is measured and then converted into points using a conversion chart. To be successful at this type of match-fishing often requires a selection of different baits to cover all possibilities and a level of skill and experience that many anglers have yet to acquire. There are no 'real opportunities' and no 'real incentives' to encourage new anglers into competitive angling so we have come up with a new format which we hope will fill that gap.

Our aim with this fishing challenge is to create a more relaxed, friendly and sociable experience for everyone. A lot of anglers like to go fishing in the hope of catching a big one and it is this approach we will be encouraging. We hope to bring the 'lucky-fish' element back into competitive angling. We would point out to the more experienced match-anglers that there are plenty of opportunities throughout the year to fish the more conventional 'catch and return' matches as described earlier. This is an attempt to encourage new anglers to competition fishing and we welcome your support and understanding.

In order to give everyone an even chance of winning one of the many prizes there will be bait-restrictions to create a more level playing field. There are a couple of reasons for this. A lot of anglers buy their bait to go fishing and hopefully this fundraiser will help bait sales at the hut on the Arm giving the funds a boost. Also,not everyone is able to dig their own bait whether it be because of work commitments or physical health reasons. We would like as many anglers as possible to have a go at this challenge and want everyone taking part to believe that they could win any of the prizes right up to the last cast. The only baits you will be able to use are blow-lug, black-lug, king-rag, mackerel and squid.

The details of the fishing challenge are as follows: The date we have chosen is SEPT.11th. Fishing will be from 8am-2pm. The venue will be on the beach between The Burrells Roundabout and the Shingle Road Roundabout. These are the two roundabouts on Shoreham Beach on the road that leads to the West Arm. In the friendly spirit of the challenge anglers can fish where they like between the two roundabouts and all we ask is you leave about 15 paces between rods.Any anglers trying to spread themselves out too much will be asked to squeeze up to make room for other anglers. If the beach between the roundabouts fills up then anglers can use the beach between the Burrells Roundabout and the West Arm. Entry fee for the match will be £5 and this will be collected from the anglers once the fishing challenge is under way.

This fishing challenge will only be promoted on the WSF website and is a chance for forum members to meet-up and maybe win a prize or two Details of the fishing challenge itself and the prizes available will be put onto the South Coast Meets and Matches Forum shortly. We are putting this post onto the regular South Coast Forum to give anglers the chance to get used to the idea of the fishing challenge.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Why aint it on the arm?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
As part of the fundraising effort anglers will be asked to make a contribution when their entry fee is collected of anything up to a maximum of £5.

so an entry fee and a contribution is being asked for?
maybe not the best way forwards !

·
Registered
141 Posts
I feel this plan, which is obviously of the best intentions, has not been thought out fully.

I understand that the West arm is on a 4 month trial, hopefully it will be successful and will continue. I also understand from previous postings that after the trial period, the 'lease' for want of a better word, could be terminated by either side?

The people operating the West Arm are not a charity. They are a business and like any good business I suspect they would have factored in the likelyhood of a poor 4 months over the autumn and winter, pretty much in the same way that charter skippers have to.

What will happen with any monies raised from this comp if the west arm closes after the 4 month period. It puts the current operators in an embarrasing situation, plus lots of anglers will be asking where their dosh has gone and when money is involved things can always turn nasty.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I would have thought that all the anglers in the comp, if its on the arm, would be then contributing to the wbf turnover without the need to beg for donations to a business.Will you be providing lugworms free of charge?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Maybe the best way forward is to ask for donations from a local buisness or somebody wealthy, maybe there coud be advertising on the arm, for local buisnessess, as said before there must have been some sort of plan made for the quiet months, dave seems to manage fine on the marina.
I understand your concerns about the future of the arm but as an owner of a buisness myself i would never go cap in hand for donations if mine was failing.
On a brighter note what sort of money are you looking to raise, maybe pm me and we can chat, there are many options

martin

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Gutted, our club is away on our annual holiday to weymouth on the 10th Sept, I was hoping to get a few of us along to fish the comp. I am away for a weeks freshwater fishing at the moment but when I get back I will contact Fishosopher as I want to make a donation to WBF, maybe this can go in the pot to boost the over all donation raised by the competition. I think this is a great idea, Fishosopher you have done good mate. Well done.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
681 Posts
hmm, when my buisness needed more funds i had to go and ask the bank for a loan, next time im gonna host a fishing comp :)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
hmm, when my buisness needed more funds i had to go and ask the bank for a loan, next time im gonna host a fishing comp :)
I don't think the owners of the business have been consulted

·
Registered
949 Posts
SHOREHAM WEST ARM
FUNDRAISING
FISHING CHALLENGE

To try and help with the costs of staffing the West Arm to the end of the four month trial period at the end of the year we are organising this 'friendly fishing challenge' to help raise some funds.The unpredictable weather that comes with the Autumn months may result in reduced day-ticket sales and could make it difficult to staff the Arm at current levels. This fundraiser will hopefully help ease some of that pressure.

Competitive angling has reached a bit of a low point in recent years with many clubs struggling to attract more than a dozen anglers to their matches. The current 'catch and return' format that is used in many matches concentrates on an anglers ability to catch everything that is in front of him and every fish caught that is 18cm and over is measured and then converted into points using a conversion chart. To be successful at this type of match-fishing often requires a selection of different baits to cover all possibilities and a level of skill and experience that many anglers have yet to acquire. There are no 'real opportunities' and no 'real incentives' to encourage new anglers into competitive angling so we have come up with a new format which we hope will fill that gap.

Our aim with this fundraising challenge is to create a more relaxed, friendly and sociable experience for everyone. A lot of anglers like to go fishing in the hope of catching a big one and it is this approach we will be encouraging. We hope to bring the 'lucky-fish' element back into competitive angling. We would point out to the more experienced match-anglers that there are plenty of opportunities throughout the year to fish the more conventional 'catch and return' matches as described earlier. This is an attempt to encourage new anglers to competition fishing and we welcome your support and understanding.

In order to give everyone an even chance of winning one of the many prizes there will be bait-restrictions to create a more level playing field. There are a couple of reasons for this. A lot of anglers buy their bait to go fishing and hopefully this fundraiser will help bait sales at the hut on the Arm giving the funds a boost. Also,not everyone is able to dig their own bait whether it be because of work commitments or physical health reasons. We would like as many anglers as possible to have a go at this challenge and want everyone taking part to believe that they could win any of the prizes right up to the last cast. The only baits you will be able to use are blow-lug, black-lug, king-rag, mackerel and squid.

The details of the fishing challenge are as follows: The date we have chosen is SEPT.11th. Fishing will be from 8am-2pm. The venue will be on the beach between The Burrells Roundabout and the Shingle Road Roundabout. These are the two roundabouts on Shoreham Beach on the road that leads to the West Arm. In the friendly spirit of the challenge anglers can fish where they like between the two roundabouts and all we ask is you leave about 15 paces between rods.Any anglers trying to spread themselves out too much will be asked to squeeze up to make room for other anglers. If the beach between the roundabouts fills up then anglers can use the beach between the Burrells Roundabout and the West Arm. Entry fee for the match will be £5 and this will be collected from the anglers once the fishing challenge is under way. As part of the fundraising effort anglers will be asked to make a contribution when their entry fee is collected of anything up to a maximum of £5.

This fishing challenge will only be promoted on the WSF website and is a chance for forum members to meet-up and unite behind a common cause. Details of the fishing challenge itself and the prizes available will be put onto the South Coast Meets and Matches Forum shortly. We are putting this post onto the regular South Coast Forum to give anglers the chance to get used to the idea of the fishing challenge.
not quite sure wat you mean by saying,you want to attempt to encourage new anglers to competition fishing and catch and release is not the way forward and the lucky fish way is.surley to teach all new anglers how to fish and catch what ever speices there are at that venue is the way foward wat ever the size is,also cant see why you have to ban baits.

·
Registered
681 Posts
the west arm has only been open for 13 days as a paying fishing venue, if they need charitable donations already then just close it now tbh
the 'couple of quid' you might raise will go nowhere when you have the arm man'd with 2 x 8 hour shifts a day by people with kids to feed and mortgages to pay

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
the west arm has only been open for 13 days as a paying fishing venue, if they need charitable donations already then just close it now tbh
the 'couple of quid' you might raise will go nowhere when you have the arm man'd with 2 x 8 hour shifts a day by people with kids to feed and mortgages to pay
I think you will find the reality is different, the person running this fundraiser is not party to the financial situation and is doing this of his own back.I'm sure that his intentions are good but i don't think quite understands what running a business is all about.I have no doubt that this enterprise will be a success for both the business and the anglers

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
hi billy
would like to fish your comp but would it be frowned on if i didn't
make a donation ?
i feel that it's a bit early in the day to know how this new venture
is going to pan out and it could be profitable just as easy as not
i wish wbf all the best but think it needs more time to see how
things go before resorting to fundraising
the best way to support wbf is to go fish on the arm
cheers dave

·
Registered
681 Posts
not quite sure wat you mean by saying,you want to attempt to encourage new anglers to competition fishing and catch and release is not the way forward and the lucky fish way is.surley to teach all new anglers how to fish and catch what ever speices there are at that venue is the way foward wat ever the size is,also cant see why you have to ban baits.
good job you quoted his opening post baz, hes edited it now so it makes all our posts look a bit odd lol, at least people can see what we were replying to now :)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have tried to edit out the fundraising element to try and save the fishing challenge part but it just reads a bit weird now. I will ask the moderating team to delete the thread and we can all pretend it never happened.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.