World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

looking for new SWFF venues, saw mention of a water outflow from shorham powerstation, my attention was grabbed, anyone give me any info, looked on flash earth, couldnt see any obvuous structure, so i am guessing this is a low water mark.. is the water wadable, do you need a boat.... HELP ME :)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Hi

looking for new SWFF venues, saw mention of a water outflow from shorham powerstation, my attention was grabbed, anyone give me any info, looked on flash earth, couldnt see any obvuous structure, so i am guessing this is a low water mark.. is the water wadable, do you need a boat.... HELP ME :)
Google maps don’t show much but it is there.

Quite popular with the fluff mob (have see quite a few anglers on occasion stood waist deep out in front of it).With chesties on you can wade out on the pipe itself to the end some 3-4hrs after high depending on the size of tide (a railing just above waist high needs to be straddled a short way along the pipe).Best if there is only 2 of you on the pipe fishing the end as that’s comfortable fishing (prefer the right side myself as you can trot out redgills etc…perfectly in the outflow,hold it at a set distance and see the bass take it on the surface…after a few minutes the flow slowly takes the lures to the left and due to some U shape fencing protecting the front of the pipe you then need to wind in and start again.

Option B is wait for 4-41/2hrs or so down after high,walk out on the sand and wade in to a suitable position and do what you do.

Picture of the pipe…
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/488883

:thumbs:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are a gent hot wad

·
Registered
605 Posts
best also to get early because only fishes 5 max at a squezze.tend to walk along with water still over the pipe..but be carefull slippery..try free linnig a live prawn too... cant wait to try my kayak off the end of it soon..

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Must mention this...a few ill-informed peeps down there, are taking under size Bass.

Please anyone reading this who does, don't do it and anyone seeing it, kindly let them know they (the Bass) should be released.
Aye,it does happen down there....have had to tell a few people over the years that there is a MLS for bass.:boxing:

The place does attract the odd knob that finds it amusing to catch tiny bass 3/4 at a time using shrimp rig lures....boring!

It does sometimes get checked by the fisheries boys though......36cm if you wanna keep any.:busted_co

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would second that, seen plenty of very undersize bass being taken home from the hot pipe, good fun for an hour or so on the fly or with a dexter. be prepared to get wet when fishing in a wind there as the spray/surf hits the opening to the pipes and you will get covered.

Does anybody know what the "scum" on the water is around the hot pipe, it has a funny smell to it, a mate said it was sand?, used to surf there years ago when I lived over the lock gates and quite often there was raw sewage around (looks a lot cleaner there now days).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I still surf there. The foam is apparently harmless but does a very metalic smell to it. I have surfed and kayaked around the stuff with no ill effect. Apart from the extra head and third arm:doh:

·
Registered
154 Posts
UWI, havent surfed down there for years, now live at the Witterings so pretty much get in down there most of the time. The foam does have a strange smell and a stranger taste (got coverd in it a few weeks back when spinning off the pipe - must learn to keep my mouth shut), water does generally seem as lot cleaner down that way than 10-15 years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts