World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

bally and myself planned to go fishing lastnight..

so i get off work early, rush home, get on the bus and meet bally in shoreham. now we drive to the arm where an angler tells us waves are coming over... ok we thought we could try the east arm..

so after driving for 10mins we get to the carats carpark (about 11.15). and thought we would fish the carats beach as it looks like bassy weather, as we walk up to see the state of the surf, its unfishable, a 30mph headwind and huge waves.

so we start think where to go. bally gets in the car, has a ***, i knock some chicken kurma up on the hexi burner. as me and bally sit in the car eating curry and having a beer we came to the decision to go back to the west arm and fish it.

so back we go!! when we get there we walk to the arm to see how bad the waves were... they were bad, so we fish the little beach in between the wooden peir and the arm.

after getting our gear down the 2m drop we set up. i use a nice fat peeler on a flowing trace. i cast out and put the rod on the tripod.... after 15mins i have nothing. so i bait up with another fat peeler, cast out and get a birdy....

so i rig up the backup ABU, again nice fat peeler and cast out..... we had nothing for over an hour!!

at 1.45 we packed up, i blanked but bally had a 1.5lb flounder and some rockling before i met him at solider's point.

moral of the story...... stay at solider's point in [email protected] weather!!! lol

Jamie

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
hi all,

so i get off work early, rush home, get on the bus and meet bally in shoreham. now we drive to the arm where an angler tells us waves are coming over... ok we thought we could try the east arm..

so after driving for 10mins we get to the carats carpark (about 11.15). and thought we would fish the carats beach as it looks like bassy weather, as we walk up to see the state of the surf, its unfishable, a 30mph headwind and huge waves.

so we start think where to go. bally gets in the car, has a ***, i knock some chicken kurma up on the hexi burner. as me and bally sit in the car eating curry and having a beer we came to the decision to go back to the west arm and fish it.

so back we go!! when we get there we walk to the arm to see how bad the waves were... they were bad, so we fish the little beach in between the wooden peir and the arm.

after getting our gear down the 2m drop we set up. i use a nice fat peeler on a flowing trace. i cast out and put the rod on the tripod.... after 15mins i have nothing. so i bait up with another fat peeler, cast out and get a birdy....

so i rig up the backup ABU, again nice fat peeler and cast out..... we had nothing for over an hour!!

at 1.45 we packed up, i blanked but bally had a 1.5lb flounder and some rockling before i met him at solider's point.

moral of the story...... stay at solider's point in [email protected] weather!!! lol

Jamie
Queens head had a rover last night,4 of them went on the arm,1 of them was the match winner with 30 sizeables (28 ling 2 flounders.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
hi all,

Jamie
Good report J D,sounds like the incar catering was the highlight !!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
someone told us that nobody caught on the arm.

but they were catching smuts on friday and saturday

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the smuts do seem to be in then.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
so the smuts do seem to be in then.....
hi jamie. yep they are about. i was on hove beach last night(sure was blowing a hooley) i did well, but the chap who fished next to me landed a good size smutt just after high, at about 60yards.

mark h.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Interesting that Bally caught at soldiers point as it's quite tricky to fish in a big tide with the flow. Good effort.

And good on you for fishing Hove last night Mark H, must have been close to unfishable. What does ' I did well' mean? Always interested to hear of Hove reports. (err sorry just seen your other post).

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi jamie. yep they are about. i was on hove beach last night(sure was blowing a hooley) i did well, but the chap who fished next to me landed a good size smutt just after high, at about 60yards.

mark h.
What size was the smutt you saw :secret:

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
hoora SMUTS about ,,,,il be down that way soon

·
Registered
111 Posts
What size was the smutt you saw :secret:
The smut was 52 cm, so just over the limit. the chap was well chuffed and made the evening for him. It was also nice to see the fish slipped back into the water.

mark h.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Interesting that Bally caught at soldiers point as it's quite tricky to fish in a big tide with the flow. Good effort.

And good on you for fishing Hove last night Mark H, must have been close to unfishable. What does ' I did well' mean? Always interested to hear of Hove reports. (err sorry just seen your other post).
The key to fishing at soldiers point is not to cast too far - the more line in the water the greater the chance of catching weed! I was fishing opposite the lifeboat station where a short cast puts your bait inside of the main flow.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
All Ways Nice To See Em ,,,swim Away When Put Back,,,,,,weve Had Them Do A Little Swimming Display Be Fore They Take Off Sometimes

·
Registered
111 Posts
It was 45cm (not really a good size). My mate caught it in a Livewires match. Not actually sure that 45cm is big enough is it? :unsure:
The smutt in question was indeed 52cm. i measured it, and the chap was andy broughton from south croydon. there was a match on last night on hove beach but neither andy or myself were part of it. we were a couple of beach's along.

mark h.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts