World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some good catch reports and dreaming of my first Sole of the year last night saw me popping my Shoreham Arm cherry. An early finish at work meant I had the gear in the car and was on the road just after 5pm for the 40 mile journey to the east, arriving at the West Arm just before 6:30pm.

There were a fair few rods already on the Arm, I had a reasonable idea of where I wanted to fish but with the big tide there was no water to the seaward side so for the first hour I claimed my spot and sat up on the wall enjoying the evening sunshine.

By 8pm the tide was fllooding and I got my first baits in the water. As the sun set I got a good pull on the close in rod and thought "here we go" but despite a good little scrap up over the wall came a ball of slime and a completely trashed trace :yucky: Which kind of set the standard for the rest of the evening.

A grand total of 5 hours fishing with two rods produced just that eel and a bit later on a Weaver. Other than that nowt, nothing, bupkiss, not a sniff. And it wasn't just me. The whole place was ram packed and when I left at 1am all I had heard of coming in were a few slip Sole and one or two baby Thornbacks.

Still at least the entertainment on offer made up for the crap fishing. At one point I felt trapped between a couple of Hollywood films: The Hunchback of Notre Dame to my left (The Bells! The Bells!) and Cheech and Chong go Fishing to my right (a group of lads who came along, pitched a tent and proceeded to smoke industrial quantities of weed :marinheir). Not to mention the two lads who came down just after dark and spent about 3 hours trying to feather Mackerel from the inside rail.

So an interesting experience for my fist trip to the Arm, despite the lack of fish it seems a decent venue, the locals appear friendly (and give me the weed smoking youths next to me anyday rather than the Stella chugging ones on South Parade Pier) and at least there was no weed. Just a shame AC has already caught all the Sole :bangin:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Great post, sounds like you had a very entertaining time even though the fishing was not that kind to you.

It still amazes me the sites you see whilst fishing.

Andy

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Good effort Mac. BUt I would say, its all in the rig where sole are concerned. The night we had 35 slips there were others fishing the same baits, and almost the same tactics bar one important bit!!

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are probably right about the rig Rob, I was trying an experimental thing last night based on my best guesswork looking at the photo's from your session there the other week :whistling Obviously it needs some refinement, either that or just be patient and wait for you to bring them to market under the Dvice brand.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hello Mackem..

They're buggers Sole thats what they are.

If you swapped your Weaver for a 5 inch Bass we'd have an identical catch reports. Fished Southwold up in Suffolk last night for an Eel and the above. What makes it worse is that the bit of coast around Southwold is called Sole Bay.
I'd agree there's a lot in the rig but they're quite capable of having feeding frenzy's one tide and disappearing the next.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Good report.

You must have been set up to the right of me as you lok out over the outside wall.
The bells were to the left of me and i coul also smell some funky stuff to the right of me and guessed it was the chaps with the tent (did smell nice tho) :)

The guys feathering pointlessly were not far fom me and after about an hour or so of continualy hearing one of them nearly remove the top eye of his rod every cast,as he was pulling the rig clip down in through it,i decided to tell him what he was doing wrong.....oh yea and after he had casted over my line three times in as many minutes aswell!!!

My mate was kind enough to give him a flapper rig and some bait to try with instead of trying to catch mackerel in the dark at around 11pm!

I ended up with a weaver and my mate a sole,so poor night fishing and have plenty of bait to use up tonight somewhere.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Similar story for me i'm affraid. Couldn't buy a bite appart from a schoolie early doors. :headhurt: Fished from 19.30-03.30, using crab, lug, rag, maddies, mackerel and squid.

A chap near the end did have a couple of sole and a very nice, but small undulate ray. I've seen the small thornies but not one of those before.

I must admit that last night was the first time in 2yrs back fishing that i got quite disillusioned with the whole thing. After a severe lack of sleep due to work, bait digging/collecting and the 8hr fishing stint i found myself, telling myself, i deserved a decent fish for all the effort i had put into it :crazy:

Still, out on a boat at the end of the month so hopefully i'll catch a decent fish or 2 a bit further out.

Ian.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Good effort Mac. BUt I would say, its all in the rig where sole are concerned. The night we had 35 slips there were others fishing the same baits, and almost the same tactics bar one important bit!!
Didn't your sole rig get beaten down Newhaven the other night Rob?!

G

·
if you wanted sole at shoreham!,you was in the wrong place...:whistling
the best spot is on the end of the three penny bit which you get
to by the lighthouse on kingston beach...
bigger soles as well....
the only problem is that you can't fish it over high water as it covers the platform you fish off!!!
unless its a 5mt tide or less!!!
you need to cast at 12 o'clock or to the left at no further than 10 o'clock,
this keeps you just out of the main tide run were the sole sit and
ambush there bait!!!

hope this help for your next trip!!!
all the best puddle man.......:bye1::bye1::wheelchai

ps,best bait in the past has been red rag!!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I was fishing for Sole over there the other night and had the misfortune of a group of Alpha Males deciding to stand near me yakking. They did not seem to be fishing but knew someone who was and decided to brag about how much weight they could bench press and the number of " Reps" they could do. One of their number spent a good half an hour stood up with his feet 2 1/2 feet apart as if he could not shut his legs due to the size of his manhood.

It was difficult trying to concentrate without laughing out loud. Despite the boredom and the odd wave slopping over they refused to see sense and bugger off, instead, extolling the virtues of x/y/ or z who had /could/did lift, crack,pull ,carry etc. etc... I wish I'd had the herbalists or the bells instead ! :headhurt:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts