World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a session down the arm with the idea of hunting some early bass, but hedging my bets with peeler for flounders.
Got there about 5:30am and great! - no generators, though I could have sworn there was one there as I drove past on my way to Hove.
Slight sea in a north easterly wind and just a bit chilly to start, but water was that nice mix of dark at the entrance and clear to the western side.
I noticed some silver flashes in the water on Tuesday, so I thought I'd try and get some sprats or smelt to live bait. This was hard going. After a couple of hours and nearing the point of giving up, I finally caught one and stuck it out close to the wall. Unlike Tuesday I didn't get a single run though :(. Took 2 hours again to tease out another, but again to no avail.
Managed a couple of flounders in the meantime however, one of which went the standard 1lb mark. Gutting the fish before I left, I discovered a size 2 aberdeen hook in it's stomach with an inch of mono still attached. It must have been there some time as the eye had virtually rotted away, but goes to prove they can survive with the hook left in rather than damage them with excessive tugging.
sorry to report mackerel fever has started early this year with a bloke feathering away for all he was worth into the harbour .........on a mid-low dropping tide ....... with the dredger churning up black silt. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to point out his extreme optimism :nonono: Already been asked too many times by summer slaughter brigade if I've spotted any yet ( and that's a negative by the way lol). Still with the fine weather continuing the first shoals can't be far off :unsure:
Not much action then down the West Arm yet, but who cares when the weather is so balmy - it's just a joy to be out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
well done mate - at least someones catching:clap2: lol lol i will get down there one day !!!! maybe after the fishathon - well done again :clap3: - bdb

·
Registered
681 Posts
hope to get down there myself sometime next week for the day.. nice read, il check back before i go to see if its gonna be worth the £25 in fuel lol.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Nick & I fished the evening tide, Loads of tinsel chuckers about making normal fishing rather dangerous. only a couple of slugs landed along the arm , We had several really good bites , not the usual light taps but some really good pulls, Nick managed to land a nice fat 9inch Dab, but I blanked
Still SAS Friendly meet coming up on the 18th
Who's coming,

Gray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts