World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived down the west arm about 9:30 am and found I had the place to myself. Firstly checked the new waste bin and found it crammed to the lid with rubbish and a little "satellite" bag next to it - the rest of the arm completely clean! :clap2: Luckily had gloves and fresh bags with me to clean it out :yucky:

Both the dredger and the Adurni were operating and kicking up a huge black cloud but as the tide was still rising (HT 10:30) most of this was keeping inside the harbour. Wind was light (but bitter) northerly and sea state calm.

Fished near the end out to sea using one flowing trace and a two hook flapper. Baited with ragworm and peeler crab. First cast got a flounder of about 10oz followed by another of 12oz hour later. Just a few rockling apart from this. Nothing over the top of the tide but water was black by this time. Caught 3rd and best flounder ( 1lb) at 1:30pm fishing at range beyond the black river plume. All fish were on peeler except rockling strangely.

Good chat with toopoos and couple of other mambers (Dave and Jim) for company until cold and then rain persuaded them that home was better bet lol. Wasn't prepared for heavy bursts of rain that followed, but at least was rewarded with one good flattie for my soaking :)

Attachments

·
Banned
431 Posts
hi guys i was thinking of coming down you way over the next couple of weeks to give the arm a bash are fish in close or at distance and were about if any atre some good maks on the arm and why cant ppl/anglers put all there krap in the bins or better still take it home after they have finished there days fishing.where can you park and is there parking charges there thanks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The fishing has been a bit slow down here in recent weeks mate, mainly rockling with a few flounders although I have heard that someone had a 4lb Plaice about 2 weeks ago. No idea if this is true or not.

When the fish are about most are caught inside about 60 yards I would say.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Parking is free if you park in the gravel spaces on the right hand side just before you get into the car park, otherwise I think it's about £3.60 for the day?. You don't need to pay after 5pm.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All day parking is £2. Catching is not distance dependant - more avoiding the "black cloud" of churned up water from the dredger. That may mean, like today, pushing baits out 100yard + from the end, but not so closer to the beach.

Judging from latest reports from the Port Authority, the dredging is going better than they expected so hopefully the sospan-dau will not be around for that much longer.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
On wednesday Tony Day popped down to have look and he said the channel is over 1m deeper than what it needs to be (not exactly sure what that is 6m or so at low steve?). I also noticed a ledge on the inside half way up about 50 yards out.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On wednesday Tony Day popped down to have look and he said the channel is over 1m deeper than what it needs to be (not exactly sure what that is 6m or so at low steve?). I also noticed a ledge on the inside half way up about 50 yards out.
Harbour entrance and approaches are dredged to minimum of 1.9 metres at low water datum. That means 7.5 metres of water on an average 5.5m tide. There are deeper sections and scours that appear from time to time. The last reported one was situated about 130 yards SE from end of west arm - and it certainly produced a few extra fish. This changes almost daily - especially so when they are actively dredging like now - we'll have to wait for next survey map to be published.

The ledge you are talking about is a more or less permanent feature as I have never seen any of the boats dredging inside the triangle formed by the end of the "wooden arm" and the beginning and end of the concrete west arm. This ledge area used to be a sole hot spot especially nearer the end and I expect it is still attractive to fish.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cheers steve, I'd never felt a ledge so pronounced there before.

It was a great to walk along the clean arm and see some fish being caught, well a lost whiting anyway, the bin is being well used, must speak about getting it emptied more often or at least get some more installed.

The dredger finishes this week and the Arduni will not be out over the Easter weekend, so fill your boots, I can't as am working, same for this Wednesday, sorry Steve, if I had only picked the six numbers last evening!!!

Tight lines. TD

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Me and Tone fished the west arm on sat night and what a night ...wind a howling northerly and dredger working, as for fish well did not witness much going on around us, but there must of been something?

For bait we had peeler, lug, rag and a menagerie of fishy type things in a carrier bag but despite this cornucopia of delights i had to settle for the good old winter standby, yes! the oriental wrestler himself, Rock Ling and my word was he on form, i had to take a hit almost every cast. No matter where we moved to there was no escape, in the end i ended up with around 3mtrs of the little chap.

Word of advice to all if you wish to avoid these little tyrants, they seem very keen on worm baits at the moment , so.... get some other baits on a catch nothing!!( well almost):ahhh:

Honestly tho with the wind like it was and the judge dredge working, turning the water black, conditions were not favorable.

I tried all manner of different cocktail baits including some fully loaded pennel rigs with peeler, rag & lug and more elastic than an you'd find in an underwear factory, some of the rigs looked like adverts in Total Sea Fishing prepared by Gordon Ramsey, but alas no, if they aint there they aint there

So it was not to be and can only assume that things can only get better.

My consolation being the opportunity to escape work for a few hours.
and as for the ling well they do save a blank bless em and they certainly come in an amusing array of shapes and sizes.

Arm looked clean just had to pick up a few bits and nylon down the end before i left

·
Registered
234 Posts
hello- hoping to come to fish the west arm for the first time on tuesday late afternoon - and wondered what its like fishing a low tide there (generally) im bringing my 9yr old son with me and he gets bored quick if hes not catching lol so any tips would be very appreciated - cheers bdb

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
hello- hoping to come to fish the west arm for the first time on tuesday late afternoon - and wondered what its like fishing a low tide there (generally) im bringing my 9yr old son with me and he gets bored quick if hes not catching lol so any tips would be very appreciated - cheers bdb
hi boris difficult one to call for you here

advice would be to avoid the arm this week especially with the weather conditions at the mo and the dredger working between the arms it just seems to be unsettling things a little.

if i was able to fish this week i would probably opt for the brighton marina (east) especially with a littlun in tow, at least he may have a chance of a wrasse or two down the side plus the odd chance of a garfish or even bass. hope this helps and enjoy whatever you choose

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to agree with Mike says I'm afraid Boris. As much as I like to promote the Harbour as you know :) But I'd rather your little'un got a few fish. A couple of garfish have been caught at Worthing pier so I would expect a few to be around the Marina too.
Easter is looking MUCH better for Shoreham fishing as the dredger won't be active ...yippeeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Boris

Tuesday afternoon I'd try the marina East arm if that's convenient for you. If it fishes anything like Sunday you'll should get lots of Wrasse bites around bay 14 fishing close to the wall with King Ragworm. Size 4's on a flapper with quite short snoods and make sure the bottom hook is off the bottom to avoid snags. Fish up to 2lb caught Sunday with lots is the 8oz region. Not truly hectic but I had about 3 bites an hour.

As you say it be the late ebb on Tuesday but that should not prevent the sport. Also try a worm bait at mores distance as there were a couple of good flounders come up that way.

Have a good day.

Judge

·
Registered
234 Posts
ok thanks - i need to have a rethink - we were looking forward to fishing shoreham - just asked the boy and he says we can wait till the weekend - so we ll stay local tomorrow and might see some of you there sat or sunday - thanks for the info - bdb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts