World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had a successful trip for the sole down on the arm a couple of weeks back, in horrible conditions (much wind and even more rain), I was keen to get down again and have another go; preferrably, in weather a little less like a monsoon! :eek:hmy:

I arranged a meet with Robin, who had a couple of clients (Stuart and his 13 year old lad, Michael), who were very keen to get amongst the sole also.....and kept a close eye on the forecast for the last few days.

So..........Driving down to Shoreham yesterday, in monsoon conditions, with about 20 yards visibility, I was starting to think I had really, really titsed off the weather gods!!! :cry:

I needn't have worried too much though, by 6.30pm, I had my shelter up, rods out, the rain had eased and the wind was a perfectly respectable and blustery W/SW of about 10mph, with only the occasional gust trying to thieve my shelter; by 8.00pm, the wind had died right off and the rain stopped for the night. :yahoo:

I started off about 20 yards inside the first bin, with a mackerel head on one rod (hoping for a crowd pleaser!), despite the conditions being less than favourable for a big lump; the second rod was armed with the 3 hook sole rig, I have been trying out....with king rag the bait of choice.

The sole played ball straight away, with both Robin and I having one in the first half hour and they continued to feed throughout the session; the most frenzied time, once again, an hour or so either side of high (9.00pm).

The arm was busy, with a selection of anglers trying all sorts of methods to catch varied species; one chap dropped in next to me and had a couple of golden greys in quick succession from the outside, (the second one was a stonking fish) and there were black bream, mackerel, eels, small bass, flounder, a weaver and even a red mullet caught, although the fishing was by no means hectic.......unless you were targetting the sole, which kept the rod tips rattling pretty much constantly.

Barry arrived and gave me another version of the sole rig to try out and at that point I gave up trying to find the highly improbable crowd pleaser.....and fished for the sole on both rods.

Sole were coming regularly enough, mostly small, some smaller and if Robin adds the piccy (please mate!).....you will see the smallest sole I have ever seen, let alone caught...very cute!! There were some sizeable ones now and then though, which allowed me to keep enough for a nice dinner.

By 10.00pm, I was having a ball, the weather was lovely, I was catching regularly and I was enjoying the company of lots of anglers on the crowded arm.....truly a pleasant evening and a friendly bunch. :group:

By 11.00pm, the bites slowed considerably and people started to drift away; just before midnight, Robin, Stuart and young Michael headed off.....at this point, I had managed 11 sole, an eel and a baby bass and Robin had managed 9 sole (not sure if he had any other species.....and I'll leave Stuart and Michael to report their catch).

I stayed on until about 1.30am and managed 4 more sole and another small bass, before the bites dried up completely and my thoughts turned towards a hot shower and a nice warm bed and I headed off on the 75 mile journey home, fully satisfied with a productive and most enjoyable session.

The End! :happy:

·
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent report Andy. You D Sole Man...!! Time to go to pastures new for some bigger critters I reckon. A trip into Crazyplums land one night next week?
Very busy week, but could possibly do Thursday night, or Sunday night would probably be preferable. I also have a spot on Hayling I need to explore at some point.

ps. If you are actually able to see the sole in the piccy for last night.... I would be grateful if you could add it....it was cute!!

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Very busy week, but could possibly do Thursday night, or Sunday night would probably be preferable. I also have a spot on Hayling I need to explore at some point.

ps. If you are actually able to see the sole in the piccy for last night.... I would be grateful if you could add it....it was cute!!
I have it magnified and prepared for publishing. Trying to catch up with the diary as well. Will append it to the link in approx 3 hours....!!

Working Thursday and Sunday I'm afraid. Thursday might be all about sole though........

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
yes Robin, your diary....not only am i lacking in hounds, im also lacking
my reading fix !! :bleh: victim of your own success...this time next year your be a millionaire as the boys from Peckham said.
Almost certainly be as skint as I am now, but no less happy...... :)

Just had a count up. The rigs accounted for 33 sole if I am not mistaken!!!!!!!!!!!

Whens the Eastbourne sole match on.....??????

G

·
well done to you all,
nice to see the target species come up again!!!
as for your new found sole rig rob,it will be interesting to see if it works
on the flounders as well....
if you keep this sort of thing up!,the match boys will want to know
more about your sole rig!!!!
will it be up for sale???...you could call it the S VICE...:thumbs:

well done again to you all,a good job done!!!
all the best puddle man.....:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
407 Posts
As Andy said it was a very enjoyable night with 7 different species falling to the sole rig.
If my memory is not failing me the species tally was:
Sole
Golden Grey Mullet
Red Mullet
Eel
Flounder
Black bream
Lesser Weaver

and lots and lots more sole

I feel that the Worthing boys may have to hand over some of their tenners to the Brighton boys this Autumn when we are back on the pier.

·
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As Andy said it was a very enjoyable night with 7 different species falling to the sole rig.
Sole
Golden Grey Mullet
Red Mullet
Eel
Flounder
Black bream
Lesser Weaver

I feel that the Worthing boys may have to hand over some of their tenners to the Brighton boys this Autumn when we are back on the pier.
A couple of basslets as well Barry.....8 species! :clap2:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Good report Andy,may have to have a go there myself tomorrow night for some sole,hopefully get a couple of dinner sized ones too.

·
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good report Andy,may have to have a go there myself tomorrow night for some sole,hopefully get a couple of dinner sized ones too.
Tide is better than we had mate (more of the two hours around high in darkness), the weather looks ok for you and there are certainly sole to be had. Nail some king rag to the sea bed.....and you should certainly do well.

Good luck....I look forward to hearing how you get on.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Andy.

Yea think i will get some rag tomorrow and head there.
Ive got some lug and frozen mack left and am tempted to go there later tho and see what else would fancy my bait

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sole
Golden Grey Mullet
Red Mullet
Eel
Flounder
Black bream
Lesser Weaver

There was a pouting too but I think that might have been after you'd left barry, that's at least 9 species

·
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
.... as promiised
Thanks for that mate. It's funny, but all things considered.....I was looking forward to seeing that photo more than most and it is quite possibly the lightest fish (weight wise), that I have ever caught....we are a strange lot, us anglers......or perhaps it's just me!! :roll1:

Thanks also, to everyone for the contributions and replies....it's always nice when you make an effort to post a report, to find that it is appreciated. :group:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts