World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I know the long is longer than the short arm but is that an advantage??

And which is better for:

(a) Normal Beachcasting
(b) Float Fishing
(c) Spinning

And are there difference in species caught? I know about the BIG conger down the rocks of the long arm, I have also heard about them off the short arm as well!

·
Registered
300 Posts
normal beachcasting = long arm because more species

floating = short arm because its more sheltered(longarm is exposed to huge swells

spinning = short arm because same as floating reason

different species = long arm is better known for rays and sole but both been caught on shorty just not as regular

shortarm = more mackerel, pollock

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
hi phil
ive fished both over the years and to be honest with you i have had better fishing off the short arm but that is just my opinion i have found the best times for bottom fishing is when there is a good sea running after a good blow around low water but dont cast too the horizon . I have also had great fun on float gear which is a firm favourite way of fishing in my book my biggest bass down there is only about 7 pounds myself but i landed one for a freind of mine a few years ago 12pounds on a certain method which on the float can be deadly.There are some very good conger here my best is 21lb off the short arm but again landed one for someone 36pounds so i know there are some biggies about i find it a lot more comfortable fishing than the long arm i was there about 2 weeks ago and a guy next to us had a thornback of 5lb8oz off the slab again here you see everyone trying to hit the horizon but the better fish come in under your feet some good cod and bass lurk right next to the wall .Iff we could only fish this venue in the dark it would be superb as i use to sneak on a few years ago but now security have become right tossers but i suppose a lot of it is down to people lighting fires and wrecking things down there liferings etc .Why these idiots throw these things into the sea is beyond me as they are there for our safety.You can have some good fun on light float on the end of the slab with plenty of small pollack and good size gars also cut a large section off a fresh gar and cast right into the rocks be prepared to lose gear but every now and again you will be rewarded
i hope this info helps you and will have to meet you down there for a session one day and show you my trick for the bass, all the best
sandeel

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I assume the normal baits that work down there ie:

Sandeel <- live and frozen
Mackerel strip
Squid <- baby and the calamari
Worm <- is it any good??
Crab <-??

Anything else? I was thinking of maybe mussel and maybe some other fish bait, obviously under the float :)

For the floats I can go as light as 3/8oz floats up to 1 ounce pike floats, same with my float rods!

My beachcaster will cope with the beasties there, with it being a Century Carbon Metal with a Penn 525 strapped just above the butt!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
worms are good both rag and lug but the best is mudworm which can be used on the float as well another good bait is the piddock clam you can get these in the peat ledge to the left of the arm looking towards the harbour(jetty)but they are difficult to extract also the security are now playing hell with anyone they catch on this beach the floats you mention will be fine .Iwill be out of circulation for a week as im off to dorset tomorrow for a weeks holiday im taking my telescopic rods in the hope the FPOwill let me get in an hour or two will chat when i get back .the other baits you mention will also work fine as well as spinning which can be very effective in the evenings.Hope this info helps good luck and get a biggie.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
cheers for asking this question have been wondering the same my self. i got my long arm pass a couple of months ago.. only fished it 4 x or so ... new baby and hse duties have stopped that for a while. but could not help listening to different stories about the short arm.do you obtain the passes from the same place? how much?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
bio from what i have seen on the long arm there are more than several excellent marks and over crowding would take some doing. a lot of people race to the end - big conger. last time the bro and i found a nice mark 3/4 the way down and fished harbour side and seaward and had great results for both. there were a lot of people fishing that day and it seam as thouth there were hardly anyone there.

·
Registered
472 Posts
When are you planning on giving it a go Phil ?
I'll wait for your report before I consider which arm I'll go for.

Btw taking the close in fishing philosophy even further and I decided to purchase a kiddies hand line last night on ebay.
I'm not really sure what I was thinking at the time just one of those drunk impulse buys, but you never know from marks such as Porthcawl peer and the arms what is lurking around the bottoms of those foundations.

Will catching crabs stop me blanking :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Biogenesis said:
When are you planning on giving it a go Phil ?
I'll wait for your report before I consider which arm I'll go for.
Hopefully, giving it a go tomorrow. I am taking 2 rods:

1) My trusty Bass rod for all my float fishing. It has plenty of grunt for any big fish that I might catch.

2) My Century Carbon Metal for casting and hopefully for other big fish!

Dont forget it will be my first time there, I am a short arm virgin.

Biogenesis said:
Btw taking the close in fishing philosophy even further and I decided to purchase a kiddies hand line last night on ebay.
I'm not really sure what I was thinking at the time just one of those drunk impulse buys, but you never know from marks such as Porthcawl peer and the arms what is lurking around the bottoms of those foundations.

Will catching crabs stop me blanking :D
Who knows, it can also be a good way to catch small fish for bait! :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
To be honest I'm getting so fed up of blanking I get exited when I catch carrier bags now.
My biggest was a Woolworth bag taken on a mackerel baited pennel rig at ogmore beach.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Biogenesis said:
To be honest I'm getting so fed up of blanking I get exited when I catch carrier bags now.
My biggest was a Woolworth bag taken on a mackerel baited pennel rig at ogmore beach.
I fished by the transporter bridge in Newport a couple of years ago, I had a great big bite, and a hell of a fight. It turned out to be a carrier bag, in that current it appeared to be a good fish :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah I don’t mind the carrier bags so much it’s the press on towels that get me.

Saying that though I remember fishing Llantwit as a kid and having to continually try to clean the toilet roll and excrement off my reel and rod eyes.
as well as going to Porthcawl on a school trip and seeing one of my friends crying while trying to get a large turd off, that had become attached to his face.

The beaches have come along way since then but I still will not eat anything I catch in our seas on account of those memories.
Not to mention a small armada of nappies that I witnessed sailing down the estuary at ogmore just a year back. Disgusting

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Is it also a place where you can use light tackle to have fun with the fishies?? It appears it can be!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Phil the second peir used is brilliant for floating and casting ,it is an excellent all round peir, i have not fished there for about 18 years but my uncle says it is still good. It is what i call comfortable fishing(safe and accessable) :D
I am hoping to be there this week some time , just have to check the wifes and daughters work rotas to see when i am needed for childminding services :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, To evryone out there as I am new to this game I hope to learn from all your experiences and to say I got hooked on sea fishing early this year having landed my first two fish off Pendine beach in April a Flounder and Bass of 6lb which I have been told was quite good , I thought at the time it was a record ,However ive since met Mr Billy Bass in the pub and it seems I still have to keep trying.This is where I hope someone out there can help me , As I only fish Pendine beach at the moment my problem is that the sea is like the Med ,Warm and flat no bites nothing not even plastic bags. Can someone give me serious advice I use all the obvious baits yet nothing.

Pendine Taff

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah a six pound bass is a real good fish for one of your first. I took me a month before I caught anything other than pouting.

Check out the sites main pages for advice on bass and rest of the web.

BTW what rig did you use to catch ol billey on, were you in the surf or casting from the beach ?

oh and welcome to the site :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply I was casting off the beach into the surf just behind the third breaker the rig was a single pennel type with four coloured beads a small piece of cork a size 1/0 black hook on about 16" of line baited with ragworm I hope that makes sense I made the rig myself after looking at rig setups on the net and thinking how best to present the bait in the surf this worked on this day I have since made rigs using beads, water proof drinking straws and pieces of nylon washing line they all work and I have caught fish using them anyway ime off to surf the net, Happy castings

Pendine Taff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts