World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>caught first cod of the season last night 5lb 2oz at last everyone on the pier was casting big bates to the horizon with nothing over 1lb landed so i decided to lob a big worm bate 30 yards 2 whitties and the cod but everyone kept blasting there bates out i only saw one fish landed from distance just shows every now and again lob a short or &nbsp;medium cast out fish are not always miles out</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Congratulations Deester, a nice cod(ling?).

It&#39;s always nice to hear about fish being caught close in. &nbsp;it is all to easy to become obsessed with long distance casting, which while undoubtedly is a usefull skill and fishing tool, is not always preferable and is only an absolute necessity in certain circumstances (a pier not being one of them) &nbsp;

I put the long distance casting obsession down to the brain washing we all get from the angling magazines, which, like a large chunk of the UK media, appear to be focused on South East England...</font>

D

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>ok cod(ling) but the way things are going i fear codling will be all that we can expect in the not so distant future if cod numbers in the press are correct then its all down hill unless sumthings done very soon</font>

D

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>went off the rails a bit there i agree about the magazines obsetion with casting bit of a macho thing as well i often see people pendulum casting in the dark on crowded piers fair enough on the beach but its just dangerous on piers with so many people about they never seem to search the fish out just wack it as far as possible over and over as if fish stay in one spot</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Sorry Deester, wasn&#39;t putting your cod(ling) down - sincerely meant it was a good fish (better than my pb) but its a bit of a grey area as to when a codling becomes a cod.

</font>

D

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>dont know manx fisher wot is the wieght of a cod &nbsp;and codling i just call them all cod always have done was codling just made up by fisher man in the days of big cod (long gone)
ive never heard it used on any other fish eg haddockling or pollockling any way a fish is a fish just glad to catch something
i was not bothered that you called it a codling it could well be wot sum people wud call a codling to me its welcome prize after months of fishing
anyway good luck manx hope you beat your pb soon until then any fish is a bonus</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I&#39;d dread to think what it would become. &nbsp;Maybe a Singaling - Hee. &nbsp;I wished I&#39;d targeted the Cod or Codling this winter. &nbsp;Instead I&#39;ve been hitting the coalies and flatties. &nbsp;Hey maybe the ling would be called Lingies instead.</font>

G

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000080'>I&#39;ve seen the Cod/codling down as both 5lb and 7lb - anyone know for sure? Is it when they mature and can you tell? I&#39;d love to catch me a monster cod though&#33;</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts