World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've only just returned to fishing after a few years off and am in need of a bit of advice on casting.

I've started fishing a lot from Brighton Marina using a Penn 525 Mag ( original ) and Powerstick surf ( 3 piece, 12 ft ). I'm fine at a short lob of 5 to 10m AND fine if I put the power in for a longer distance ..... My problem is when I try casting around 20 to 30m. I just can't seem to get it right and quite often end up with a birdsnest.

I can try a full cast and keep my thumb on the spool, but seems a bit of a waste of effort and I end up with a burnt thumb :).

For your information the mags are on full and I'm not overloading the line, tried it with just 100m on.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Not a major problem as I just use the other rod ( fixed spool ) for these distances but just find it annoying.

All the best.

Richard

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
try casting higher.

sounds weird but if you are casting straight at the sea at 30m you'd need to be pretty good with your thumb to stop a birdy

cast high and you'll buy yourself more time!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try casting higher.

sounds weird but if you are casting straight at the sea at 30m you'd need to be pretty good with your thumb to stop a birdy

cast high and you'll buy yourself more time!!
Thanks Mark, sounds logical :) I'll give it a bash next time and see what happens

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What Mark said . Also just slow right down , think the distance you want to cast , get a mental picture in your head . You will then slow motion it the distance you want . The lead won't go off at such a high rate of knots and the spool won't be spinning as fast either. The rods being swung too hard at the moment for the distance required.
Its a good idea to practice casting a variety of distances gradually increasing and decreasing the distances and you will soon get the feel for how much acceleration gets you how much distance.
Its also important to remember that its the big body muscles that control the swing so thirty to sixty yards should look extremely relaxed.
Certainly should never look like a quick hand ,arm and wrist flick .

:fish::fish::fishing:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks WOT, reading that I think I can see where I was going wrong :) Hunting the bass tomorrow so will get a lot of practice at chucking it shorter distances :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to say thank you again, was out last night ... From the beach but included some casts at my dreaded distance and not even came close to a birdsnest :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts