World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen

I have just purchased a GOSEA EXPLORE 10, a wetsuit, a hammer lifejacket and a Cobra handheld marine radio, however I realise that I am not ready to go afloat safely!!!

I know that I have to pass the Short Range Certificate (SRC) !

I stay in Fife and would appreciate if any members can show my best parth to legal certification.

Thanks in anticipation.

Saltyjock

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Get a longer kayak, a dry suit, a pfd rather than a lifejacket (they hinder re entering) that's the basic safety over with.
Re SRC try googling RYC courses.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Get a longer kayak, a dry suit, a pfd rather than a lifejacket (they hinder re entering) that's the basic safety over with.
Asks advice on safety course…First comment, get rid of every you’ve just bought and get this instead:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Asks advice on safety course…First comment, get rid of every you’ve just bought and get this instead:ROFLMAO:
It is still safety we are talking, small kayaks are not very good on the sea, wetsuits are great for a week or two in September when the water is around it's warmest, a life jacket is great from a boat as most have steps to re enter but will stop you from re entering a kayak.
Unfortunately a lot of people are buying before thoroughly researching the pros and cons of kayaking safely. Lastly I have fished the Fife and Angus coast for 6 years so have first hand experience of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The SRC is relatively straight forward. The licence is for life so only need to do it once.
Go for an online course, then a local exam.
It is very interesting but mostly irrelevant for kayakers

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is still safety we are talking, small kayaks are not very good on the sea, wetsuits are great for a week or two in September when the water is around it's warmest, a life jacket is great from a boat as most have steps to re enter but will stop you from re entering a kayak.
Unfortunately a lot of people are buying before thoroughly researching the pros and cons of kayaking safely. Lastly I have fished the Fife and Angus coast for 6 years so have first hand experience of it.

100% on the money Malks

A life jacket is actually dangerous to use on a kayak as it can prevent you getting back on board and particularly on a short kayak to someone with little experience. Falling overboard is something most of us do at some point, my first dip in the Humber was in early January and even though I had a drysuit on, it took my breath away with the cold water on my head and with a wetsuit on, well let me just say as Malks outlined, great for warmer water but the rest of the year is drysuit weather, in fact I would not go kayak fishing without wearing the drysuit but thats me.

The thing is Jordan, if something is not right and we suspect that this guy or any guy is making an error which could cost him greatly at sea, should we not say something which might help or even save his / her life.

Phil

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm interested why there is an aversion to wearing wetsuits. I surf throughout the winter in my 5/4. This together with a hood, boots and gloves keeps me warm enough to go in the water for at least an hour. This is water that gets down to 6.5 degrees. Assuming you stay relatively close inshore, what's the problem with a good quality wetsuit?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm interested why there is an aversion to wearing wetsuits. I surf throughout the winter in my 5/4. This together with a hood, boots and gloves keeps me warm enough to go in the water for at least an hour. This is water that gets down to 6.5 degrees. Assuming you stay relatively close inshore, what's the problem with a good quality wetsuit?

If you are experienced with wetsuit to that temperature and are happy, well thats your choice, I will take the drysuit every day of the week and so will the vast majority of kayak anglers in the uk.

Phil

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you are experienced with wetsuit to that temperature and are happy, well thats your choice, I will take the drysuit every day of the week and so will the vast majority of kayak anglers in the uk.

Phil
Cheers for the reply. Would it be fair to say that it's a comfort choice then or have I missed something, is there a hidden danger to wearing a wetsuit?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
First is the assumption, I am generally a mile or more offshore and a minimum of half a mile.
Next the wetsuit, you will be on the kayak for several hours, if at anchor sat inert, if drifting then you will be doing a small amount of work for a small amount of time. I wear a dry suit all year, in the summer I can wear a minimum amount of clothing under it, in winter usually 3 layers. On a surf board you are active most of the time and only out for an hour or so and close to shore so the two are quite distinct from each other. If you want a real world example, three of us went out in January, there was ice in my seat when I was getting the kayak ready, two had dry suit, one a wet suit. Three or four hours and we come back in. Two of us fine the other couldn't thread or do the buckles up on the straps of his roof bars even though he had paddled back around 3/4 mile dragged the kayak back up a steep beach of soft sand. He sat in his car with the heater blasting away while we sorted out his kayak as he was too cold to drive. He sat there for a long time, even after we had finished putting our gear away and securing the kayaks before he drove off. Never came back for winter meetings again.
For me a wetsuit is too hot in summer and too cold in the winter, a loose fitting shorty may be ok in hot weather and high water temperatures a good breathable dry suit is fine in all weather, I've worn mine in the mid twenties and it was fine apart from the drag up the beach, but I usually take it off before doing that.
Finally the RNLI recommend dry suits.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It depends on what you are doing. I often paddle 5-6km to reach a mark with a round trip of 15km. If it's over 17c that's impossible in a dry suit because I overheat but these are summer trips with the water temp in double figures.
Wetsuits will keep you warm as they are designed to do but you must observe the guidelines on water temperature (plenty of charts online) and unlike a dry suit it won't keep you warm above the water while fishing, so you may need a cag as well.
I have an O'Neill Superfreak which I wear with Gul Boots and Solbari Sun Gloves. I would never wear a shortie.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Most of my kayaking is for fitness rather than fishing. I used to kayak regularly on the canal, sometimes breaking ice. I only ever wore a t shirt and a thin water/ windproof jacket or if the air was below around 5c a thin fleece jacket. I paddle pretty hard and get hot. I took my chances on the canal on the basis that I wasn't going to fall in but wouldn't dream of doing that in the sea. I have a 5/4 Gul wetsuit that I use for surfing. Again, I think the chances of falling in are minimal (I never have, 500+ sessions) so I'd view the wetsuit for the kayak as a bit of insurance, just in case I do. How warm/ cold might a 5mm wetsuit be (dry) vs. a t shirt and thin fleece, anyone?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It would be better than a fleece of course but the sea off here in January gets down to 4-5c. A dry suit is a must long before it gets that cold.
This is just my advice it's up to you of course but the sea, well...she's known for being unforgiving.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
How warm/ cold might a 5mm wetsuit be (dry) vs. a t shirt and thin flee
I'm not sure what you are getting at, this thread and section is about kayak fishing so for that reason I would suggest that for 90% or more of the time a dry suit is the correct wear for the UK.
When people are looking at getting out kayak fishing there seems to be a tendency to keep it cheap, it is after all very expensive, so what do you trim back? Looking at this thread we have a difference of opinion so do they go for dry or wet? VHF or phone, plb, spare paddle, bilge pump, paddle float, stirrup, tow line, safety course, first aid kit, GPS... A lot of the above would be laughed at as not necessary 99% of the time spent on the water but when you are in trouble they are absolutely indispensable and saying that you haven't tipped in 500+ trips is unhelpful, I did on one of my first and had to be rescued and yes I was wearing a wetsuit on a hot may day but the water was frigid and I was unable to re enter, it was flat calm, and I didn't have a paddle float and stirrup. Then there is the couple of lads in Scotland in short fat (and therefore unsuitable) kayaks who had water ingress and no pump or radio and had the good fortune to be helped by passing kayakers.
If we stick to the mantra of "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" and not cutting corners then less families will grieve for the loss of loved ones.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gentlemen I thank all for your several ,replies, however the post was a request for

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanna say that thanks to this post I now know there difference and was almost about to buy a ‘life jacket’ for my kayak, posts like this are really important on forums and help more than just the original poster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts