World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my old man had a short pop out over high water yesterday, just for 3 hrs. He still loves going to sea but hes 78 now so cant do the "all dayers" like he used to.

Anyway pinned the "Boulder Banks" off cliff end. Only had a score of Lug as i didnt bother taking Cuttle cos i reckoned it was a bit early for Cod on the Rough just yet.
We fished the Boulders for 2 hrs and it was constant Whiting,some upto 1lb (good eating) with a few Dabs thrown in. We were really stringing the lug out.
As it was a big spring tide i decided to move very close inshore under the cliffs to a rocky outcrop just 300yds off the beach and 20ft deep.
Anyway we had just 4 lug left. Within minutes my old man had a Cod, just under 10lb!. It was caught on half a lug and a size 1 hook!. I had a livebait Pin Whiting on and got a fantastic hit but missed it. A few more whiting come over the gunnels and it was all over, no more lug so in we went. Nice few hours out, and the Master outfished the Apprentice!!!. Rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rob

Good to see you had a nice time out there. Saw you off cliff end on Saturday as well, running in and out off wheel house trying to get your trolling gear / speed right, did it work out in the end? We went over to deeper water and filled up with some nice whiting, which was fine as I had friends down for weekend and it gave them some practise and some fish to take home. All in all great weekend and most unusual for Rye, good weather and tides both at the same time.

Mark

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob

Good to see you had a nice time out there. Saw you off cliff end on Saturday as well, running in and out off wheel house trying to get your trolling gear / speed right, did it work out in the end? We went over to deeper water and filled up with some nice whiting, which was fine as I had friends down for weekend and it gave them some practise and some fish to take home. All in all great weekend and most unusual for Rye, good weather and tides both at the same time.

Mark
Hi Mark, i thought it was you, usually have channel 8 on dual watch so give me a shout next time.

Sat i was experimenting with "aqua planes" for lure trolling. I only had 2 and the 1st one dived straight to the bottom and snagged so i lost it!!!. Had a mess around with the second one and trolled a Redgill for while no joy, water was a bit to cloudy inshore methinks (thats my excuse and i am sticking with it!!!) so i headed in and filled up with Diesel ready for the serious fishing during this weekends neaps (weather permitting). Rob

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Nice report and a cracking cod there ,nice result for a few hrs out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.