World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have mobility issues and turned 65 Last January I have been thinking that I probably won't be fishing abroad again (Florida being my spot) I have 5 or 6 Fox trek travel rods a big Saragosa and Biomaster SW reels used twice and the rods some only twice or the times. Bit of a dilemma as I'm a tackle hoarder.

cheers Bill.

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
As I have mobility issues and turned 65 Last January I have been thinking that I probably won't be fishing abroad again (Florida being my spot) I have 5 or 6 Fox trek travel rods a big Saragosa and Biomaster SW reels used twice and the rods some only twice or the times. Bit of a dilemma as I'm a tackle hoarder.

cheers Bill.
:(Likewise mate. I had a stroke 15 months ago and not fished for 2 years as I had problems with my right arm, which was never sorted by Drs. Since my stroke my left side has been affected also so can't even pack stuff to sell as apart from puddle dipping I doubt if I will fish again. If your stuff is too heavy for UK fishing better to sell it and buy stuff more suitable for what you are likely to fish for. Most of my stuff, beach and boat is more suited for fishing abroad so I intend to sell it but due to packing problems it's still here waiting for my left side to improve, unless there are local anglers who I can drive to,(I am now permitted to drive) or are willing to collect it. Now with all this good weather is a good time for selling anything you don't think you'll use. Good Luck Mate.:D

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
Its up to you but fishing gear rarely goes up in value so if you don't think you are likely to be using it in the near future then why not sell it on to someone who will make good use of it. There's nothing stopping you buy something further down the track if feel like it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Depends if you can use the rods locally. My old Fox permit rod was pretty decent for fishing off the kayak. My Fox sailfish I still use for squid fishing. Perfect for hauling Krakens up the wall. So there is a way of justifying keeping some gear if you don't want to part with it just yet.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know what you mean about hording tackle.
However i sold 2 of my original saragosas a while back and i wish i didn't especially with covid travel restrictions now lifted and trips planned.
Only you really know if you'll use it again, or if you have somebody to pass it onto. I keep reminding my boy this everytime he laughs at the next rod or reel i add to the collection.
As others have said if your not going to use it and you want the most for it look at the inflated prices on ebay and put a buy it now price on it.
If you just want somebody else to appreciate the opportunity to own good tackle at a reasonable price that you're willing to accept then offer it up here. I'm sure there will be plenty looking to help you part with it.... and i will be one, haven't got any treks in the collection ☺

Regards
Adrian

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looked on Ebay and mine are the Trek that comes in the dark Blue cases, they are going for good money. I will have to dig them out and get a few pictures, I won't use them here as I have rods to cover everything in these waters.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I think that if you sell the Foxes, it's fair to say that you won't get them back again if you ever change your mind or physical status. The reels I'd be less attached to because (I think) technology improves and replacement models are available.

However, if you sell the Foxes, you can virtually name your price, within reason, for popular models such as the Permit and Sailfish as they are one of a kind and you rarely see them for sale.

To give you a clue, I recently went to Antigua and took 8 rods with me (it wasn't a full-blown fishing holiday ...!). But I used my Permit and a small Daiwa BG - a bass set-up really, chucking plastics - for about 75% of the time and it was just glorious fun using that light outfit to catch hard-fighting fish. I think, if you've got health conditions or limited mobility, this is a very do-able way of fishing that doesn't ask very much of your body.

I've got loads of travel spinning rods, and could have chosen from 4-5 more-recent acquisitions for this style of fishing. But I went back to the Permit, and was really glad I did. It's such a capable rod. The biggest fish I took was a barracuda of about 12lb from a very snarly pier, and it was strong enough to handle that and light enough to do so casting a 12g plastic.

The Sailfish too, in a different way, is my default big-fish shore rod and I'm not sure I've got anything that covers me for so comprehensively for shore, boat, bait and lure. Another plus: the carrying case is wide enough for me to get 4 of my rods in, if you leave the butts outside. Butts are tough enough to pack outside the carrying case so I can get the top sections of half my 8 travelling collection into the one case.

So if you're gonna sell, think carefully before doing so. I know my Permit is going to go one day; she's an old girl now and the tips can be brittle. But I'm not going to sell unless someone makes me a really stooopid offer. An even then, I'd have to think about it.

Have you thought about selling some of your collection and using the funds raised to get a really really good light outfit that you can fish with ... like, say, the Permit and a small Stella or Daiwa? Then at least you keep some of your heritage.

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
I wouldn't worry if you couldn't get the fox rods again, simply upgrade to a Shimano travel grappler or Bone rod or what ever other improvements may of been made when you feel you need one again.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I wouldn't worry if you couldn't get the fox rods again, simply upgrade to a Shimano travel grappler or Bone rod or what ever other improvements may of been made when you feel you need one again.
I’m inclined to agree here Jon.
They are great rods, and still do a job but rod technology has come on so much in the last 10 years.

I have a sailfish trek I have used around the world and it’s great but if I needed to sell it I’d have absolutely no hesitation in doing so.

Great fun for blues shark over here and actually had my first sailfish on it a couple of years ago and was perfect but there are too many good alternatives now to get all sentimental.

sell the lot and buy some tenryu’s 😂

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers good points, I have the Sailfish,Sailfish at,Permit Spin, also the Permit fly, and another Cordona(I think) So I've 5 maybe 6 I'll have to go out and check the garage. I also have a few other light travel rods, plus a number of Shimino Stradic's front drags and Penns that I bought in Florida and loaded with braid and haven't even used yet.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Cheers good points, I have the Sailfish,Sailfish at,Permit Spin, also the Permit fly, and another Cordona(I think) So I've 5 maybe 6 I'll have to go out and check the garage. I also have a few other light travel rods, plus a number of Shimino Stradic's front drags and Penns that I bought in Florida and loaded with braid and haven't even used yet.
i have a Permit (pre loved from off here from Seymour in 2017) and to be fair it’s a great bit of kit. I used it in the UK boat fishing for Tope and hounds. It works well in the UK as well as exotic locations. I always take it when I go away. The tip section got broken by someone. Not me. I loaned it to and they rammed it into the rocks… I got the very last tip section in the world to replace it I think and I have looked long and hard for the “old” style Fox trek rods and as many will say. It’s like looking for unicorns… keep them mate. Perhaps loan them to (responsible) friends when they go away. That way you get to keep them and someone else may have some decent use from them.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hi Mr E, the tip on mine broke too, rather suspiciously from doing nothing more than leaning the rod against a beach umbrella. When Fox replaced the section, it had been posted from Italy, so lawd knows what was happening with their supply chain, even back then. I've no idea why they stopped making them too. They sold out very quickly at the tackle shops I knew of.
The Permit Spin is a special piece of kit (to me anyway). I'm less enamoured with the boat and jigging rods. Be selective, Bill!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Hi Bill, not reached the stage where we will be giving up travelling, but certainly not many years left to go realistically chasing monsters so will look at moving on the heavy stuff , so we get a small return on the investments and also , someone somewhere will get kit to allow them the same chances we have had.
It has to happen unless you have younger family to pass it on to?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts