World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,been fishing for about 4 years now and still not around to testing a multiplier or useing one, but think its about time i started useing one

i heard that its harder to put line on multipliers then fixed spool reels is this true?
also do multipliers need tuneing in a certain way.

Ane more thing do i need to buy a multiplier rod or can i just buy some coasters and use the multiplier on my rod.

·
Registered
465 Posts
hart2002, to answer you questions, yes you will need a new rod, your fixed spool rods rings will be all wrong, having fewer larger rings. This will make the line cross the blank on the retrieve.

If you choose a reel with level wind its no harder to put line on them, however i would buy a reel without and learn to lay the line from the start it shouldnt take long to master.

Yes you will need to tune your reel, to start with you will want the minimum amount of line on the reel say 175yds of .40 dia line. Thick oil in the ball races / bearings say ep80 or 90 (gearbox oil) Big brake blocks in the reel or full magnet setting or both if the reel has centrifugal and magnetic brakes.

I would still say a big Yes you should have a go at a multiplier, and if i were to recommend one or two they would be.

no 1 choice an Abu 6500ct mag elite ( this reel is a doddle to tune centrifugal and magnetic brakes)

2nd choice a penn 525 super mag ( not as easy to tune and not suited to leads under 4oz)

Hope this helps.

Regards Ryan.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you do switch the best advice you could follow would be to bear with it even when you get sick of it.
After a very short while you will be very pleased that you made the switch, and if you can master a multiplier, you can handle a fixed spool. Not so the other way round.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont worry about tuning etc.

If your gonna buy a multiplyer buy the best you can afford.Go for a mag elite from ABU.
Straight from the box,line the reel up with a quality 20lb line.
when you spool the line on make sure you take the line off the top of the line spool.
Always spool a multiplyer top to top this will help aviod line lay / twist problems.

It helps if you spool the line under tension and spool it on wet.
Fill the spool so the line is 3 to 4 mm from the top of the spool flange,then add the shockleader.

On the non handle side there is a chrome cap with an arrow on it,around the chrome cap there is a scale 0 to 9.Tighten this cap 1 number at a time until the spool turns slowly when the free spool button is depressed.

Now move the mag control slider backwards until all the numbers are revealed.

The reel will behave itself quite nicely set up this way.Practise a few overheadthumps and you will soon get the hang of casting a multiplyer.
Dont hit the cast hard just flick it around for half an hour.As said previously use a thumby to protect yourself from the leader knot and on the retrieve try to get the leader knot on one side of the spool.

Once you have confidence in your new found ability slowly back the cast control cap off until you can just feel side play on the spool.have a few more casts and then ease the mag slider forward one click at a time.

Then change the line to 15lb,this will enable you to start hitting bigger distances.

After a few weeks practise it will become second nature and youll wonder what the fuss was about.

Good luck.

P.s. Once youve mastered the reel get some casting instruction and you wont look back.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
u can get level wind ver and no level win ver which is best to get

and what sort of rod should i buy to mix it with

only can spend up to 150 quid for the rod

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Hart, buy a multiplier by all means, but when you do, dont think of it as your "new fishing reel", treat it as a video game which you have to practice long & hard to become good at!
Dont even think about taking it fishing! it is something to be taken to the nearest deserted field for the first month or two & practice, practice, practice with. Taking it fishing too early will only spoil your enjoyment of it, you still have your fixed spool for fishing with.
I remember my first multiplier 1964, a Mitchell 602AP with spare spool £5 guineas! the bloody thing nearly broke my heart & nearly made me give up fishing altogether! I went back to my old Daiwa "eggbeater" & bought a contraption called a "Dons Antilash" for the 602, it made life much easier, it slowed the spool with a brake pad on a frame, & I practiced until I got it right!
Buying an ABU6500 would have helped, but in those days a 6500 would have cost me a months wages! (how they have come down in relative terms)!
So get practicing, & keep away from unsuspecting anglers & livestock until you are "cool"!
blueskip

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
i've recently changed over to multipliers from fixed spool(last 12 months) i bought a 525 mag.what a mistake!! i found it impossible to control,there was no margin for error,got so fed up with it that i just didn't bother with it.someone at work suggested i try an abu 6500ct sportsmag,what a revelation.this is a wonderful reel especialy for an inexperienced multiplier user.in the four months since i bought it my distance has improved to about 170yrds with bait on a good day(weather) and this reel has never even looked like getting a birdsnest.i use 20lb red ice and generally 5oz leads on a penn powerstick 13ft.if you buy a multiplier buy one of these!! ps i dont work for abu, just a very pleased customer. :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I know lots of people who have probs controling the Penn 525....the Mag Elites are the complete opposite...easiest reels to cast with.
Don`t agree about having to buy a rod especially for a multi...you can use a rod ringed for a fixed spool just as well,then if you get the hang of the reel,you can change to a proper multi ringed rod.Rods ringed for fixed spools have much bigger eyes to cope with the line coming off the reel in big coils.....using a fixed spool on a multi ringed rod is when you`d have probs,as the eyes are far too small to cope with the big coils of line

·
Registered
443 Posts
You may also wish to read the thread I started which can be found in the general section called 'Learning to Multiply'.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Hart

A good question for you is, why do you want to change a multiplier? How far do you cast at the moment? Do you catch fish? Do you have trouble winding in the fish you do catch?

multipliers wind in a lot slower than fixed spooled reels = so fishing with feathers is harder to do and so is spinning.

fixed spools can sometimes break when cranking in big fish...multipliers have a direct winch...

fixed spool reels are easier to setup and fish with out of the box than multipliers

If you really want to switch over to a multiplier set up... see if you can find a mate who has one and is willing to let you try it out a few times on the beach... If you then find you like the multiplier buy one and go fishing ... If you find you don't like it you have lost nothing... except a few days fishing...instead of a lot of money and frustration .... give an outfit a try out first..you wouldn't buy a car just on its looks, you give it a test drive first!!

I hope this helps a little

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
reason why is im fed up with them i bought a fixed reel for 50 pound to match with my daiwa team this rod has beenthe dog bollox before,but now i have problems bringing in little fish like little plaice,whiting etc

no problem with catching fish with fixed spool ive caught codling ,whiting,plaice,flounder,dab caught alot of fish with fixed spool never let me down till now

even without a fish on this new reel makes it feel ive got a codling on of about 2-lbs lol

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Hart

I would either go and see the tackle shop were you bought it from and explain the problem to them....If you should get know Joy from them...it really sounds like the reel needs replacing..bent spindle or workings. Contact the manufactor of the reel there should be a snail mail address and telephone number for the uk. Either speak to them on the phone or write and give them every little detail of the problem and without getting to excited or angry tell them if the say they can't help you will let the angling press and any website that does reveiws of Angling tackle what you think of their Product, Oh nearly forgot say you will write to WATCHDOG TOO. You should i hope get your reel replaced with one that works the way it should have. don't forget a nice letter to them if they do.. :rolleyes:

hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Michael,multis are far more enjoyable to use than fixed sppols...they`re much lighter...you can feel what`s happening with them....it`s easier to reel fish in,and you don`t all feel like you`ve got a sack of spuds on your hook....once you`ve learnt the basics of setting it to your casting style,then you`re laughing....i`ll guarantee,if you get sorted with a multi,you`ll never go back to a fized spool.
n.b most people don`t use multis for spinning e.t.c...we have small fixed spools for that kinda fishing....they do have their uses :p

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Yozzer

I am happy using a fixed spool reel and I always will. depending on conditions i can change spools to a different line. I know i wont have any problems with the reel and i can feel the fish all the time i am playing it. When I wind in I never have the feeling i am bringing in a sack of spuds. My experience of multipliers is one of frustration.. birdnests and such like..... I am hoping to go to the states soon to pick up a couple of spinning multipliers for bass fishing .. I will use a multiplier for boat fishing just for the pure winching power. I just want to enjoy my fishing so i use equipment I like and I am not too bothered about using expensive rods and reels...it is the fish you catch which make it worthwhile.

I might be stuck in my ways but thats they way i have to be with a very small budget... not more than £50 for a whole year... I am lucky I can dig my own worms king and white rag and lug.. plus all the other shell fish. I find so much left tackle on the quay and beach I only need to buy the odd packet of feathers and swivels. hooks by the box full and leads and lures are often just left or lost here.

sorry if i sound like i am having a go..I'm not :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I switched from f/spool to multi about 18 months ago and it takes a bit of an adjustment to get used to the casting and line lay.

I was not keen because I was happy with the fixed spool setup I had before and my wife bought me a RT rod and a cheap shakespeare real with no brakes :eek:. (She bought it me because 'everyone else' uses multipliers)

I found that using the nasty little reel actually improved my casting because it was very unforgiving and frustrating when I got things wrong. I eventually had a bit of backpay paid and I bought a better reel but still use the RT rod, which I find matches me very well for otg casting.

If it wasn't for my wife I probably would still be fishing f/s. I still have occasional problems with overuns at night with the multi which are frustrating in the cold.

If you enjoy your fishing with a f/s stick with it, if you need that extra distance or strength go for a multi. I wouldn't change for the sake of it, but if you want to try it, see if a mate will lend you his and help you with it.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Good points Bass...........but I've just been dabbling with a multi after using some pretty horrendus shakespeare fs reels. I was drunk one night on E-bay and ended up with an Abu 5000, I also bought an Abu Cardinal fs brand new in its' box-second time out with a 3 1/2lb bass well hooked it stripped its' gears and I only landed the fish by running back up the beach. By contrast the multi feels much more robust-so much so I've now bought another one a 6000. I've yet to catch a decent fish on either but they feel much more confidence inspiring. Just my personal opinions but I think I've been converted. Regarding value I paid £70 for the two and I think they'll last a good couple of years -the 5 fixed spools I've bought over the last year-3 Shakespeare, 1 Penn and that abu cost £90-£100 so I should even score on that point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts