World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to sea fishing afloat.
Got a 3.6m SIB and a little Honda 4 Stroke.

I decided to have a day out from Llandudno and drift down the side of the Great Orme yesterday.
I had no bait - but thought I'd be able to catch some small stuff on Sabikis.
Made a 5 minute video here.

To cut a long story short, I had one long drift down the tide from the Great Orme lighthouse back to Llandudno pier and didn't catch anything .
By then, the weather had turned, the swell picked up and rain and hail squalls started coming over so that was it for the day.
In hindsight just having Sabikis with me was a mistake.
Have any of you fished here or similar -- what would your tactics be ? what sort of species can i expect to catch next time i go later this month ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm fairly new to sea fishing afloat.
Got a 3.6m SIB and a little Honda 4 Stroke.

I decided to have a day out from Llandudno and drift down the side of the Great Orme yesterday.
I had no bait - but thought I'd be able to catch some small stuff on Sabikis.
Made a 5 minute video here.

To cut a long story short, I had one long drift down the tide from the Great Orme lighthouse back to Llandudno pier and didn't catch anything .
By then, the weather had turned, the swell picked up and rain and hail squalls started coming over so that was it for the day.
In hindsight just having Sabikis with me was a mistake.
Have any of you fished here or similar -- what would your tactics be ? what sort of species can i expect to catch next time i go later this month ?
Algi has killed the fishing inshore. Once that clears you will hit mackerel, pollack, whiting, odd codling, gurnards on feathers in close. Big baits will pick up dogs huss tope and odd rays a little further off.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I fished there a few years ago when I had SIB, same tactics drifting Sabikis and took Mackerel and Pollock. I used a metal lure instead of a lead weight, removed the treble and replaced with an assist hook, that took the larger Mackerel. The other lads caught the same but had a couple of Gurnard too, also on Sabikis.

We had planned to fish for Tope (Red) but soon after the anchor went down it got very nasty, and we headed closer to shore where we had a few took Doggies and Rays (Blue)
Always planned to go back for the bigger Pollock but sold the SIB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts