World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Packing up on Sunday night and as I went to take off the reel this happened.. Fortunately I was able to remove the broken bit from the reel seat on my new (to me) rods fairly easily.
So I guess the question now is, is it a chucker?
Bit gutted if so, it's an old Penn Surfmaster 70 I have a pair and have enjoyed fishing with them so far.
If anyone has any idea if I could get a spare part or repair or any other ideas other than the bin I'd be very grateful!
Cheers Steve.
Camera accessory Wood Material property Cameras & optics Auto part

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one John!
Could be hope for the old gal yet!
I'll give them a shout tomorrow and let you know how o get on. (y)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Sniggle I’d never have thought of that!
Will have to see if I can borrow one but perhaps a good excuse to buy one. They look such handy wee tools!

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Plenty of reel seat left there !
A bit of artistic dremmel grinding to take the finger bulge down and jobs a good 'un .
It will hardly be noticed when on the rod.
Just don't get it too hot ... do the main part with a disc and then hand file to finish.

Cheers Sniggle I’d never have thought of that!
Will have to see if I can borrow one but perhaps a good excuse to buy one. They look such handy wee tools!
Just don't be fooled into buying one from Lidl on the back of their 3 year guarantee ... had a tension cap self destruct on one over the weekend and the cap, the tool and the collet just missed my face and shot across the workshop, cracking a window in the process. Lidl's response to a warranty claim on the tool .... the cap is a "wear item" and not covered! Lidl has now lost a couple of hundred quid a week we would have spent in shopping.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just don't get it too hot ... do the main part with a disc and then hand file to finish.

Just don't be fooled into buying one from Lidl on the back of their 3 year guarantee ... had a tension cap self destruct on one over the weekend and the cap, the tool and the collet just missed my face and shot across the workshop, cracking a window in the process. Lidl's response to a warranty claim on the tool .... the cap is a "wear item" and not covered! Lidl has now lost a couple of hundred quid a week we would have spent in shopping.

Blimey I may well have been tempted as well 😬
Hope you were wearing your safety glasses? 🤓👀

·
Registered
21,783 Posts
Packing up on Sunday night and as I went to take off the reel this happened.. Fortunately I was able to remove the broken bit from the reel seat on my new (to me) rods fairly easily.
So I guess the question now is, is it a chucker?
Bit gutted if so, it's an old Penn Surfmaster 70 I have a pair and have enjoyed fishing with them so far.
If anyone has any idea if I could get a spare part or repair or any other ideas other than the bin I'd be very grateful!
:) WOULD THE METAL BE SUITED TO BRAISING OR SILVER SOLDER ?:sneaky:
Cheers Steve. View attachment 1377367

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
clean it up with emery paper and degrease parts. Get some JB wonder weld metal two pack glue coat it up as per instructions stick parts back together(you could if enough metal cut a groove on inside and put a bit of wire from a lead in groove to support parts)then once all set you can file to shape checking fit often so don't file anymore than bare minimum that stuff is awesome

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Blimey I may well have been tempted as well 😬
Hope you were wearing your safety glasses? 🤓👀
Yes had some very expensive safety gogs on .... trouble is its was a bit like a scattergun when it went. Kompernas, the makers of Lidl stuff were even worse than Lidl ... they were so rude (and very aggressive when I corrected their made up version of english law) that I have emailed them formally advising that they should not ring me again and that any of their employees that do so will be reported to the police for harassment. If anybody thought PMR customer service was the worst I can confirm that this lot are way worse!

Silly really as the thing would only be 16.99 to replace .... they have easily cost themselves more than that in the man hours avoiding their warranty responsibilities. On top of that I will never go there again which is at least £50 -£150 quid a week in normal shopping plus the occasional blokey item from the toy isle. They've lost a whole lot more than me and they will continue to lose every week I don't go there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crazy really @blakdog you'd think a company like Lidl would be a bit more savvy. Sorry to hear about your woes :( currently an Aldi man at the moment anyway. I wonder if they're any better? 🤷‍♂️
Some really good ideas there guys I could be wrong @tournamag but believe the reel stem is plastic. It certainly feels like it.
Unfortunately I've noticed further damage to the reel and looks like I may be in spare part territory. Feck knows how I've managed that! 🤦‍♂️ They have been in the back of the van alot lately but can't see how I've bashed em. I'll update on what I decide to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bicycle part Personal protective equipment Wood Carbon Auto part

Maybe I'm being overdramatic! This may not be the end of the world but will bug me a bit worrying if it will let me down at some point. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Maybe I'm being overdramatic! This may not be the end of the world but will bug me a bit worrying if it will let me down at some point. :rolleyes:
No your spot on ... that's only going to end in tears. Forget the grinder ... see if you can source a new body (for the reel that is).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thought these were supposed to be a half decent fixed spool. Tbf I bought it second hand from fleabay where they can still make 70s so it's probably done someone proud for many a year and then the poor thing met me. Maybe the damage was done in transit and I didn't check it out properly I've only used this one for about 4 sessions.
Talking of cheap I've just picked up 3 Okuma Skyliners from AD for a whopping. £6.25 each. If they keep me fishing until the Penn is fixed they'll be worth it! Knowing Okuma though I suspect they'll go on longer than that. The third one is for a mate who already owns one and is a few sessions in with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re the broken Penn I will contact reel value and hopefully they can help!
Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
View attachment 1377489
Open reel up Generally that is just a flange part just a sort of cover to edge to look more posh and stop rubbish in and out so if not progressed across reel etc degrease and bond back with something.
Reel stem part on them was a cast alloy type material and side plate plastic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks mate I’ll do that! don’t want to give up on it as have enjoyed fishing with them so far. My other one is still in good nick. Thank for all the suggestions guys and apologies for not hitting the like button earlier I forget sometimes 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
Thanks mate I’ll do that! don’t want to give up on it as have enjoyed fishing with them so far. My other one is still in good nick. Thank for all the suggestions guys and apologies for not hitting the like button earlier I forget sometimes 🤦‍♂️
Stuff like JB wonder weld could chop reel foot off at stem and replace with another!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts