World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
there is no proven solution it is all in your head think am i going to be ill you will be if you are near the shore concentrate on the ridge line or roads look for vehicles etc the more you concentrate the less likely you will be chucking your ring up also best to have a good breakfast before you go,, fried bread hmmmm,,,, and also snacking keeps sickness at bay, i always take either digestives or ginger nut biccies for new crew on my tub just in case only ever had one who couldn`t keep it down won`t name names but he was thinking of buying a tub himself think he has been put off now lol have rigs and bits already tied nowt so disorientating as looking in your bag or coiling warp into the bin lol

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
the more you get out there, and used to conditions, the better you will cope, pick a distant point on the horizon to concentrate on. if it gets a bit choppy, stay out of the cabin, i find confined spaces make it worse. a big bowl of porridge sorts me out, prior to going. and do lots of stupid singing, anything, no one can hear you, and it concentrates the mind. :icecream: ps just realised thats an ice cream, i thought it was a microphone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for replies. had small boat in past. was fine around the bays and coast.. soon as i hit the worm on a charter.... the problems started instantly. anyone tried these goggles???? ha ha ha

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
There are lots of threads on this subject, do a search.
I can recommend the following:
  • Avoid engine fumes and cigarette smoke.
  • Look at the horizon and take deep breaths.
  • Stay out of the wheel house.
  • Don't tie any rigs or knots, have everything pre-built at home.
  • Catch lots of fish.
  • Eat crystalised ginger.
  • And best of all, a Positive Mental Attitude. If you know you won't be sick then you won't.

G

·
The issue is that your inner ear is telling your brain that you are rocking around, but your eyes are telling the brain a different story. The upshot is that the brain then considers the inner ear to be at fault which generally causes sickness and in severe cases complete loss of balance.

The best solution by far is once you get the feeling of sickness is to look away from the water and look at the horizon, but also to have a feature of the boat in your focus on the horizon. That way the brain will be receiving the same message from both the inner ear and the eyes and the feeling will pass over in no more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
25,237 Posts
Only time ive ever felt a bit ill was when ive tried untangling very light line sandeel catching feathers that mackeral have tied into a ball,cut them off and tie on a new set!!!! people often feel better when they start getting lots of bites or catching!!!! Dont have a load of beer the night before a trip either!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
dont you just hate people who say its" all in the mind,think of something else,look at the horizon,dont look down,etc etc etc.these people are usually lucky enough not to be affected,and generally have a good pi$$ take at our expense.seasickness is a very real condition that has plagued me through my life,i have tried every over the counter remedy,ginger,accupuncture wrist bands,you name it i have tried it.i was about to give up and confine myself to land when a skipper in florida put me onto scoperderm tts patches,these are stuck on the night before, behind your ear and in the morning,bingo no sickness.you do however have a bit of a thirst and drink loads of fluids.this has been a foolproof fix for me,and take it from me i get seasickness bad and easily.downside is these are perscription only,and i had to tell the doctor porkies that i needed them for my job at sea,as he would probably not give them out for a spot of fishing,best of all here in wales perscriptions are free,subsidised by our friendly english taxpayer.try them out,you can also buy them at astronomic cost on the internet,good luck

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
dont you just hate people who say its" all in the mind,think of something else,look at the horizon,dont look down,etc etc etc.these people are usually lucky enough not to be affected,and generally have a good pi$$ take at our expense.seasickness is a very real condition that has plagued me through my life,i have tried every over the counter remedy,ginger,accupuncture wrist bands,you name it i have tried it.i was about to give up and confine myself to land when a skipper in florida put me onto scoperderm tts patches,these are stuck on the night before, behind your ear and in the morning,bingo no sickness.you do however have a bit of a thirst and drink loads of fluids.this has been a foolproof fix for me,and take it from me i get seasickness bad and easily.downside is these are perscription only,and i had to tell the doctor porkies that i needed them for my job at sea,as he would probably not give them out for a spot of fishing,best of all here in wales perscriptions are free,subsidised by our friendly english taxpayer.try them out,you can also buy them at astronomic cost on the internet,good luck
I know for a fact that Positive Mental Attitude works because I cured myself of sea sickness. I used to get sick in even a slight swell. Now I just get the odd feeling now and again and after focusing on the horizon it always goes away. I havn't been sick for years now.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
on the contrary, i too suffered from seasickness quite badly, the advice given by others ie. looking at the horizon etc, and getting out in the boat more was a fantastic help, i now dont suffer from it, as for us just taking the p***, i think not. all the previous advice was given in good faith to help the guy overcome it, and enjoy his future boating/fishing.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The bigger the boat the worse I feel :( . The more you go the better it gets I used to be ill with the slightest swell I am now ok , also found working on a trawler helped me combat it as well :) . Don't give up . And listen to what's been said above :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I think there is a lot in what everyone has said

No doubt that fluids and looking at the horizon/avoiding having to make rigs focus on fiddly close up stuff works - that is just the science of it

Also it's worth trying different pills - many for example swear by Stugeron but they make me feel odd without getting on a boat at all! I prefer Boots own brand as they don't make me feel drowsy or give me a dry mouth - but it seems to be different for different people. Worth trying out a few if what you have taken doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
any proven methods of helping sea sickness? tabs didnt work. love boat fishing. but last two outings have put me right off and havent been in over a year.
I have a friend that comes out with me, hes got better and better with each trip, but has relapses now and again, he has a mate that sells lures on a website and has just recently gone abroad to try purchase some more, apparently there is some new seasickness tablets on the market which really are meant to work and he's bringing some home for my mate, don't hold your breathe but if they work i will let you know in due course.
But... alot of the fellas on here are right, a great deal of your problem is your mind set, if ninty nine percent of you concentrated on having a happy day and enjoying yourselves that would be half the battle.
Don't as suggested have a big fry up, eat what you normally would preferably toast with ginger mamalade,ginger tea and ginger biscuits, if theres a ginger guy on the boat stand next to him for good luck:thumbs:

·
Registered
254 Posts
jaffa cakes and jam sarnies, they taste just as good coming up as they do going down.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
This might sound daft but my wife used to get really sea sick. She likes to go out on our boat and would take stugeron tablets and wear wrist bands but still felt a bit iffy on occasions. Then she took the RYA training courses for boat handling, radio and navigation. Almost immediately she stopped having any sea sickness problems. She now goes out with no anti-sea sickness things at all. She says that as soon as she got the confidence to know what was happening and why the boat was moving as it was she stopped feeling sick!

Just a thought.

Tim R

·
Registered
278 Posts
jaffa cakes and jam sarnies, they taste just as good coming up as they do going down.:laugh:
as i said puckoon,another one who doesnt suffer the dreaded mal du mer, weighing in with a classic that i have heard a thousand times before.to be fair there are a lot of useful replies here and it does seem that different cures work for different people so the more remedies suggested the better,by trying them hopefully you will find one that works,although the patches i mentioned work for me,i am still searching for a better option,as they do leave you with a very dry throat and a bit tired so not ideal but a hell of a lot better than the alternative.i still live in hope of a cure with no side affects.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts