World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Vipers but am after something a bit beefier for rougher and tougher conditions.

Has anybody used a viper and a sidewinder - how would you classify the difference?

Any experience of the AFAW big beach? Is it really easy casting? (I'd say my vipers were) Comparison to the sidewinder?

Is the sidewinder still available? Anywhere knocking it out cheap? Where is the cheapest?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I know that trago mills (cornwall and newton abbot) had some at about 30% off of retail price but cant remember exactly what they were and its been a few weeks since i was there last but the guy said he had a few. Mayby not much help in your location though

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I have a AFAW big beach. I rate it very very highly as a fishing rod (im not easily pleased). It is not a soft rod though and is quite steely and casts 6 oz and bait no problem. It sits perfectly in a wind when other rods bounce around and has nice feel.

The extreme 12 inches of the tip are fairly sensitive but the rest of the rod is quite poky, certainly much more than you would expect for such a slim rod. Much more powerful than a tip tornado for example.

I have owned most types of rod ie Century, zziplex, conoflex etc and this is equal if not better as an all round fishing rod. Its no slouch when casting either it just recovers instantly.

My only concerns are that the spigots dont have that much wear on them so make sure you keep the sand out!!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Take a look at the Penn Surfblaster Roughstuff. Thats a lot heavier than your Vipers. Alternatively you could get the Ron Thompson axe, the Century G5 Supersport or a Greys Mk2 Apollo, or Nitra. Depending on what you want to spend really at the top end there is the Conoflex Anubis+, the Century TTR Big Danny or a Zipplex LT14 Bullet. Theres just a few suggestions, personally for the rough stuff i use a Greys PZ300t and a Penn Nor'easter. Coupled ideally to a Penn 525Mag, a Daiwa SL20SH or an abu 7000 filled with 35lb Ultima Red Ice or Daiwa Sensor. You could also take a look at the Okuma Magnetix 30 aswell as thats a good reel for around £55.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
AFAW big beach norfolk boy.

easy casting but plenty of grunt
stands up to rough ground, big seas and hi winds

they have a similar action and feel to the CM range of rods but with a slightly stiffer tip

great rods.

mack

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I love the Sidewinder myself It will detect the bite of a 3oz flattie and sit pretty in howling gales. Pulls rigs through Kelp with know worries and has winched up some nice fish in around 300ft of water. Yopu might struggle to get one though as the Affinity range is out know.
Neal
The Skink
P.S.
If you do find em being sold knew let me know cos I'd have another one no problems.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funnily enough I have a Nitra which is surplus to requirements. Too stiff and powerful for my needs. It was a replacement for a broken SRX which was quite a different rod.

MACKY, is there any flex in the butt section? There's some in my vipers which makes them useable. Stiffness and power are different in my book. Shame I wasn't early enough for those two off you. If I do go AFAW, I should be able to get them for £200 a piece. Encouraged that they are not sold as the rough ground rod of the range.

It's a fairly powerful rod with a stiffish tip that I want, something that can cope with heavy wave action and fixed wire leads, weed and 6oz whiting.(!!!) I know somebody who I believe has a CM, I'll speak with him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts