World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The river near my house is full of these damn things. I'm going to give a few a saltwater swimming lesson for smoothounds next week and will report back.
Has anyone ever tried them for sea fish?

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
The river near my house is full of these damn things. I'm going to give a few a saltwater swimming lesson for smoothounds next week and will report back.
could be good just dont take the native species (smaller white ones i think) as if you get caught you wil be in serious poo :thumbs:

A

·
0 Posts
Hi, as already mentioned watch out for the natives, also be a bit carefull how you go about trapping them, two guys local to me were in court not so long back for trapping signals without a licence, would think the ea would be quite happy for folk to catch them considering the damage they are doing, but i think they are been cautious for the white claws, you can get a licence for nothing but it aint exactly made easy.
Having said all this, i have not had much success with them as a bait but they eat ok if you can be bothered lol.
Rob.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Don't get caught transporting them alive anywhere either (even from the river back to your house!!)...you will be prosecuted if caught!!:blink:

A

·
0 Posts
Cheers for the info. These are the red-clawed signals that I've got my eye on.

Chances are if you got the red claws local you wont catch any of the natives anyway, but its still supposed to all be done with a licence. good luck if you decide to give it a go.
Regards, Rob.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
on another note!!! when you have you licence and have caught them,WHY NOT EAT THEM,tastes great and your doing our envirement a service by getting rid of an invader

·
Registered
24,193 Posts
on another note!!! when you have you licence and have caught them,WHY NOT EAT THEM,tastes great and your doing our envirement a service by getting rid of an invader
Right on,they taste lovely!!!!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Ditto the above. I've heard that you need a licence to go anywhere near them and you shouldn't return them to the water alive. My understanding was the licence is needed to prevent them spreading. The female crayfish can hold hundereds of small eggs on her body and they can easily get stuck to gear/clothing etc and be spread to another area unless you take great care to clean everything really thoroughly.

So by all means kill 'em, eat 'em, drown them in the big loch, send them abusive text messages etc but please take care to prevent their spread in the UK

·
Registered
60 Posts
And don't let the bar stewards get a good grip on your finger with those claws. I found that out 1st hand that it's quite painful !!!:1a:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts