World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Silecroft today and caught nothing but loads of weed, can anybody tell me tides to fish to avoid this or does it happen all the time, which is best win d direction and is it better calm or rough, in three hours no bites and it didnt look like any body else had either

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
If it's any help mate, the Welsh estuaries are pretty much similar. Slack low & high and a while before and after are the best bets, with high on neaps offering a reasonable slot of a couple of hours or more.

Once the tide's on full blast up an estuary-channel, or back down, every bit of weed that the boats have dislodged will be on yer line, as I have found out on numerous occasions!

Irritating thing is that that's when a lot of fish are feeding hard too! There is a small window quite often when you're in between a crab-fiesta and the current/weed making it impossible, but hit that and you'll catch a few fish in my experience........

Cheers - John

·
Banned
396 Posts
have fished a lot of the beaches from silecroft to st bees, the weed seems to kick up along there if there has been a northwesterly blow on, if its strong you dont seem to get a break from it even at low water when the wind is sowesterly it fishes best and the weed is much less iv e found anyway.......

·
Registered
123 Posts
John is right. From experience, Silecroft only fishes good with a wind coming from a westerly direction. Flat calm tides will invariably yield nothing except mackerel on odd summers evenings. Smelly baits are the order of the day in the rough, with fresh lug (2 or 3 on a running ledger - 2 hooks, one bait) proving best in the daytime with peeler and softie crab doing better from dusk onwards. Best spots are 100m north of the toilet end of the car park or straight down from the white house at the south end. Large grip leads need of 170g plus to hold bottom in the rough swells. I have always caught my bigger fish there at two hours after low tide, but last 2 hours of the flood are the best for regular catches.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fish't Braystones beach Monday low water, lots of weed only 1 small Bass to small to keep.
Roll on October and we'll get some better fishing.
hardy

·
Banned
396 Posts
alrite hardy, braystones been bad for me loads of times lately, the lads off the caravan site there were tellin me not much at all has been caught for a while..
hoping to get up to silecroft this weekend have you fished it there lately??? cheers mick

·
Registered
53 Posts
MICKLAD
No never fished there, mite try this winter.
I'm from braystones but i like fishing the head my self.

·
Banned
396 Posts
we will be up on the head evry other weekend 1nce theres a chance of the cod ........we stay on the caravan site.....hard work stayin sober for the night tides :D do you fish the lows off the rocks???havnt done it for a while got lazy and mainly fished the highs from the groynes.....may see you there this winter.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts