World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
20210520_221647.jpg
Good Afternoon guys,

Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it. :Harry Middleton

What beautiful weather we had over the weekend. Very very hot and sunny, with light winds. Inspired by Al (@theonethatgotaway) and his catch report of a lovely mullet, came to mind. This would be the perfect chance to pursue such a target.

SUNDAY
With my partner working sadly. I had the whole day to fish. Packed lunch thank you merryleggs, a few loaves of kings meal soft white bread i started my hunt.

The mark i would chose to start fishing, always has loads of mullet at the start of the flood, shocking, there was nothing. A couple of casts with the same disappoint. So packing up and moved to my next mark which was just as shocking. I couldnt believe that after visiting all my banking Mark's and general scouting I couldn't see any fish to catch, not even one just milling around. 5 Mark's covered and 8 miles walking, didnt see one fish.

High water was upon me and sitting under a tree in a park by the water. Gathering my thought in the extreme heat and after being fried to a crisp. My eyes heavy, as a cool breeze off the water soothed my now lobster colour skin. Ooooooh dear, I lost one and half hours, after falling asleep, cellphone on my chest and kit around me , amazing .......it was still there when I woke........lol.

As I peered over the wall, into the weed and may rot covered water, I did eventually find three mullet, but clearly they were not feeding and if they were there was no possible way of landing them.

But two things over interest was the amount of small mullet feeding on the May Rot / Algae bloom.
20210615_160042.jpg

And the other was the amount of jelly fish. Hundreds of them, everywhere, from 50 pence size to 5cm in diameter.
20210615_154923.jpg

Refreshed energy, I decided to revisit two Mark's and if nothing, then home it is. First mark a huge boat had moved in so passed on fishing there. Arriving at the next mark, were the tide was well into the ebb, and I know the mullet and bass sit in the current falling back into a eddie created by a step in the harbour wall. Again there was nothing. I seriously couldnt walk any more in this heat, feet to were killing me with a huge blister now forming. So fed the water and carefully placing my baited hook on the edge of the eddie and tide, I waited with not much hope.
20210613_164602.jpg

Turning to have a drink, I heard the ratchet give sharp burst, turning around to my rod arched and about to take off, lifting into a fish with head shakes , I knew is was a bass. Just then a mullet rolled infront of me and disappeared just to tease me. Landing this fish was really a boost to my fishing. As the tide ebbed away, following the water line to round the corner of where I was standing, I could now cast to a tough where the fish seem to sit scoop up food from the passing water . Drinking like crazy, rachet burst then SPLASH .......as my rod left the rod rest lol. lundging to grab the hand of the rod as it disappeared into muddy water, I lifted into a heavy weight, using 5lb snood, it was easy does it. I couldn't budge the fish as it useing the tide to the max. Regaining my composure I settled down to play this fish, with long runs and aggressive head shakes making the landing very risky as it got closer. Finally I did, 55 cm bass graced the net.
20210613_180540.jpg

After that it went very quiet with a couple of normal size schoolie bass landed, but no target sadly. I was disappointed in that there was no visable feeding mullet the whole day, but made up with the bass.
20210613_183715.jpg

MONDAY
Well the hunt continued, and it was off to the hamble. It was extremely hot, humid, the water like glass and so clear. I could see the bottom in six feet of water Clearly, and all along the estuary.

So merryleggs with one rod and me with my old faithful, rules set for our usual comp. biggest fish. Most fish and most species. After Setting up the shelter to hide from the scorching sun, that now felt like being under a magnifying glass , the fishing began.

Mullet everywhere, but tucked up against the boats out of the sun. Making up a very sloppy bread mix, I started to feed the water. I break the bread down so that it's all fine and a very loose slush, with no lumps. I know people use scents and oil, or mashed up fish into the bread mix, I found when I do that it just brings the crabs, and their neibours from across the estuary for a feast. So plain bread for feeding the water, the feeder and on the hook. Adding fish i think is better for ocean marks rather than estuary, may be there is someone that can shed more light on it.

Well it didnt take long for merryleggs to find the first bass landing a lovely schoolie. Oh boy here we go....... I am going to be beaten today. Strange feeling as the air got tense, wind picked up and more fish started to show themselves. At that point I finally landed a bass that took the bait soon after casting. Landing it, with our backs turned to the other rod, I heard a ratchet give a few bursts, looking round to a rod that was a live. Dropping everything to grab the rod I could feel it was indeed a target for merryleggs, and after a spirited fight, landed a 35 cm thick lip.
IMG-20210615-WA0000.jpg

Time went by so fast, as it always does, waiting for the rod tips indecating a long pull, which happen often, but no hookup, but can only be mullet........... So frustrating.
IMG-20210614-WA0016.jpg

Watching the water, there was so much life from crabs worms shrimps and fri. Even the shrimps were getting their dinner, taking balls of bread back to their hiding places.
20210615_154507.jpg

Lw water was upon us, and feeling good about the days fishing, sitting taking in the surrounds, as the air started to cool with a wind that backed from WNW to NE, I noticed a rise to the right of our rods, I just new it....... that gut feeling .......shallow water with only one way out for the fish to travel, with merryleggs bait was right there in it path, how perfect could it get. Suddenly what I was waiting for happened, as the rod came to life, and lifting into a lovely fish.

Only problem was the mud bank and flats infront of us. This was going to be a team effort. Merrleggs play the fish while I brought in my rod and prepped myself for a lovely stroll in the mud.

Taking over , making my way down the mud bank getting close to the water line as possible without sinking to deep into the mud.

Unfortunately i couldn't extend my landing net, placing the net on the water line, I slid the mullet onto the net, to hear the words " nicely done" looking up to a young man. Its Al (TheOneThatGOtAway) It was great to finally meet you mate.
IMG-20210614-WA0022.jpg

Not to be rude but with the heat I needed to get the fish back fast as possible, so a quick photo, and released where I could get to the water. It was 49cm long, really nice fish.

Getting our breath back, silence resumed, with one other run that broke me off....... sadly.

The sunset was upon us and time to make our way back to the car. I am Well pleased for merryleggs , I didnt blank with a few bass to my name, but two targets for Merryleggs and some bass.

It amazied me how the the bass were in such numbers.

Thank you for reading, and if your out, be safe and very tight lines for the week ahead.

Cheers

Mukiwa

Registered
Top fishing mate and another great report. Was nice to meet you yesterday, that landing looked challenging but you managed it very well and made it look easy. Tight lines!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Top fishing mate and another great report. Was nice to meet you yesterday, that landing looked challenging but you managed it very well and made it look easy. Tight lines!
Thank you Al, yeah was a real pleasure to meet you.

Lol it was a challenge, the more I was moving the deeper I got and more suction the mud had on my boots. Not the worsed i have fished in but always a worry.

Tight lines too mate.

Registered
Well done, lovely stuff. Those pesky bass getting in the way of a decent mullet session, grrrr!

We鈥檙e the bass taking bread?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well done, lovely stuff. Those pesky bass getting in the way of a decent mullet session, grrrr!

We鈥檙e the bass taking bread?
Thank you mate, lol yes it is a real problem, but still a lovely problem to have.

Yes mate, size 8 and size 10 Aberdeen hook from fox and crawl. Lovely hooks, especially to hold such bass and mullet.

Each fish was hooked in the scissors

Registered
Thank you mate, lol yes it is a real problem, but still a lovely problem to have.

Yes mate, size 8 and size 10 Aberdeen hook from fox and crawl. Lovely hooks, especially to hold such bass and mullet.

Each fish was hooked in the scissors
Nice! They鈥檒l eat absolutely anything won鈥檛 they? And people struggle to catch them, lol.

We see a lot of bass spinning for mullet up our river, although I must confess it鈥檚 not a form of fishing I enjoy.
Spinning across a 30 foot river I mean.

Quite enjoy float fishing or ledgering for mullet in the sea though, although I never seem to get around to doing it nearly as much as I plan to.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to ask the same question!
Great report, always nicely written too. Inspiring.
Thank you mate, the set up with the feeder, with 5lb snood, size 8 and 10 Aberdeen hooks, long shank. That's so I can wrap the bread round the shank, but feel that the longer shank gives a bit in the fight. Used to use carp hooks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice! They鈥檒l eat absolutely anything won鈥檛 they? And people struggle to catch them, lol.

We see a lot of bass spinning for mullet up our river, although I must confess it鈥檚 not a form of fishing I enjoy.
Spinning across a 30 foot river I mean.

Quite enjoy float fishing or ledgering for mullet in the sea though, although I never seem to get around to doing it nearly as much as I plan to.
Yes they certainly do eat everything.

The only time I spin for them is for the thin lip. Still fun. Lol

But totally, agree , float and ledger is the best, but as you see the setup in the one picture, I make it that the feeder clips off so that i can free line bread, that is even more fun

Registered
Yes they certainly do eat everything.

The only time I spin for them is for the thin lip. Still fun. Lol

But totally, agree , float and ledger is the best, but as you see the setup in the one picture, I make it that the feeder clips off so that i can free line bread, that is even more fun
Yep, it鈥檚 the thin lips we spin for.

I just hate it. I can watch a float for hours but for some reason I get bored to tears with spinning!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, it鈥檚 the thin lips we spin for.

I just hate it. I can watch a float for hours but for some reason I get bored to tears with spinning!
Easy solution me lord.......... attach a float to the spinner

The Cheeky Essex Lure Fisher, joined March 2010
View attachment 1367180 Good Afternoon guys,

Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it. :Harry Middleton

What beautiful weather we had over the weekend. Very very hot and sunny, with light winds. Inspired by Al (@theonethatgotaway) and his catch report of a lovely mullet, came to mind. This would be the perfect chance to pursue such a target.

SUNDAY
With my partner working sadly. I had the whole day to fish. Packed lunch thank you merryleggs, a few loaves of kings meal soft white bread i started my hunt.

The mark i would chose to start fishing, always has loads of mullet at the start of the flood, shocking, there was nothing. A couple of casts with the same disappoint. So packing up and moved to my next mark which was just as shocking. I couldnt believe that after visiting all my banking Mark's and general scouting I couldn't see any fish to catch, not even one just milling around. 5 Mark's covered and 8 miles walking, didnt see one fish.

High water was upon me and sitting under a tree in a park by the water. Gathering my thought in the extreme heat and after being fried to a crisp. My eyes heavy, as a cool breeze off the water soothed my now lobster colour skin. Ooooooh dear, I lost one and half hours, after falling asleep, cellphone on my chest and kit around me , amazing .......it was still there when I woke........lol.

As I peered over the wall, into the weed and may rot covered water, I did eventually find three mullet, but clearly they were not feeding and if they were there was no possible way of landing them.

But two things over interest was the amount of small mullet feeding on the May Rot / Algae bloom. View attachment 1367175

And the other was the amount of jelly fish. Hundreds of them, everywhere, from 50 pence size to 5cm in diameter.
View attachment 1367178
Refreshed energy, I decided to revisit two Mark's and if nothing, then home it is. First mark a huge boat had moved in so passed on fishing there. Arriving at the next mark, were the tide was well into the ebb, and I know the mullet and bass sit in the current falling back into a eddie created by a step in the harbour wall. Again there was nothing. I seriously couldnt walk any more in this heat, feet to were killing me with a huge blister now forming. So fed the water and carefully placing my baited hook on the edge of the eddie and tide, I waited with not much hope.
View attachment 1367179
Turning to have a drink, I heard the ratchet give sharp burst, turning around to my rod arched and about to take off, lifting into a fish with head shakes , I knew is was a bass. Just then a mullet rolled infront of me and disappeared just to tease me. Landing this fish was really a boost to my fishing. As the tide ebbed away, following the water line to round the corner of where I was standing, I could now cast to a tough where the fish seem to sit scoop up food from the passing water . Drinking like crazy, rachet burst then SPLASH .......as my rod left the rod rest lol. lundging to grab the hand of the rod as it disappeared into muddy water, I lifted into a heavy weight, using 5lb snood, it was easy does it. I couldn't budge the fish as it useing the tide to the max. Regaining my composure I settled down to play this fish, with long runs and aggressive head shakes making the landing very risky as it got closer. Finally I did, 55 cm bass graced the net. View attachment 1367177

After that it went very quiet with a couple of normal size schoolie bass landed, but no target sadly. I was disappointed in that there was no visable feeding mullet the whole day, but made up with the bass.
View attachment 1367176
MONDAY
Well the hunt continued, and it was off to the hamble. It was extremely hot, humid, the water like glass and so clear. I could see the bottom in six feet of water Clearly, and all along the estuary.

So merryleggs with one rod and me with my old faithful, rules set for our usual comp. biggest fish. Most fish and most species. After Setting up the shelter to hide from the scorching sun, that now felt like being under a magnifying glass , the fishing began.

Mullet everywhere, but tucked up against the boats out of the sun. Making up a very sloppy bread mix, I started to feed the water. I break the bread down so that it's all fine and a very loose slush, with no lumps. I know people use scents and oil, or mashed up fish into the bread mix, I found when I do that it just brings the crabs, and their neibours from across the estuary for a feast. So plain bread for feeding the water, the feeder and on the hook. Adding fish i think is better for ocean marks rather than estuary, may be there is someone that can shed more light on it.

Well it didnt take long for merryleggs to find the first bass landing a lovely schoolie. Oh boy here we go....... I am going to be beaten today. Strange feeling as the air got tense, wind picked up and more fish started to show themselves. At that point I finally landed a bass that took the bait soon after casting. Landing it, with our backs turned to the other rod, I heard a ratchet give a few bursts, looking round to a rod that was a live. Dropping everything to grab the rod I could feel it was indeed a target for merryleggs, and after a spirited fight, landed a 35 cm thick lip. View attachment 1367171

Time went by so fast, as it always does, waiting for the rod tips indecating a long pull, which happen often, but no hookup, but can only be mullet........... So frustrating.
View attachment 1367173
Watching the water, there was so much life from crabs worms shrimps and fri. Even the shrimps were getting their dinner, taking balls of bread back to their hiding places. View attachment 1367174

Lw water was upon us, and feeling good about the days fishing, sitting taking in the surrounds, as the air started to cool with a wind that backed from WNW to NE, I noticed a rise to the right of our rods, I just new it....... that gut feeling .......shallow water with only one way out for the fish to travel, with merryleggs bait was right there in it path, how perfect could it get. Suddenly what I was waiting for happened, as the rod came to life, and lifting into a lovely fish.

Only problem was the mud bank and flats infront of us. This was going to be a team effort. Merrleggs play the fish while I brought in my rod and prepped myself for a lovely stroll in the mud.

Taking over , making my way down the mud bank getting close to the water line as possible without sinking to deep into the mud.

Unfortunately i couldn't extend my landing net, placing the net on the water line, I slid the mullet onto the net, to hear the words " nicely done" looking up to a young man. Its Al (TheOneThatGOtAway) It was great to finally meet you mate.
View attachment 1367172
Not to be rude but with the heat I needed to get the fish back fast as possible, so a quick photo, and released where I could get to the water. It was 49cm long, really nice fish.

Getting our breath back, silence resumed, with one other run that broke me off....... sadly.

The sunset was upon us and time to make our way back to the car. I am Well pleased for merryleggs , I didnt blank with a few bass to my name, but two targets for Merryleggs and some bass.

It amazied me how the the bass were in such numbers.

Thank you for reading, and if your out, be safe and very tight lines for the week ahead.

Cheers

Mukiwa
a most exerlent post
great pics great story

1 - 20 of 45 Posts