World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was a fantastic day today both on the weather and fishing fronts.
Nothing to shout home about but plenty of action nonstop from Whiting and Dab, quite a feisty rattle and lunge from the Dab being such a small fish, one or two were minimum size but I chose to release them back.

The bites were quick and on one occasion it took less than 20 seconds after the bait hit the bottom! Thought I was going to be plagued by the Whiting shoal but the Dab's kept beating them to the bait.
Only downside was a crack off at the shock leaders knot, it had twisted and jammed in the tip ring and caused me one hell of a birds nest, so at least half an hour was lost and around 80m of line, now fresh line spooled up and a better knot set up. Rigs in use was a two hook clipped down with 1/0 khale hooks and a three hook clipped down with 1/0 circle hooks. Bait choices were mussel meat, squid, black lug and mackerel. Whiting were loving the lugworm and the Dab's were going mad on slithers of squid.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update from a off the cuff session from last night, it was a beautiful dusk and the sea was as calm and although it was a tiny tide at 6.5m the Dabs and Whiting were attacking any bait that hit the water within 20 seconds! The other half chose to try the float and pulled two Whiting in as they are en mass in this area and quite annoying to say the least.

As dusk led into the cold crisp darkness of the night, the bites still came quick and fast and the sizes of the species increased albeit marginally. Specimen of the night was a Bull Huss at around 5 lbs but unfortunately I had to dispatch it as it was bleeding out heavily after getting the hook loged into the gill area and I couldn't let it suffer any more, it was above legal limit but not sure about the eating of such species.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has there been many folk out fishing there then john?
Quite a few to be honest as the weather was perfect on my first posting, mind you on the second session there was only me and another fishing into the night time, but that was a weekday. I tend to treat the promenade as an easy fish due to having seats, toilets and chip shop within walking distance. As the season advances I will be going back on to the beaches as I find I catch bigger fish albeit less often.

I just need to get passed the little ones and will look at angling at the upper parts of Silloth as in Skinburness to see what it can throw on my hook. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
You're right about the prom. It's a nice easy venue, I like to fish it for that reason but preferably when it's quiet. Had some nice rays off there. Never any hounds though.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right about the prom. It's a nice easy venue, I like to fish it for that reason but preferably when it's quiet. Had some nice rays off there. Never any hounds though.
The hounds generally show up after dark and as is well known they love crab, however I did not have any at the time instead it was on a Squid and Mussel wrap so it was second best to the above, not sure they are a fan of lugworm, but I am sure if hungry they wont knock it. Weekends are a no go unless it is lashing with rain as otherwise the tourists flock around you and get in the way, stick to weekdays and night times for a more peaceful angling session. My other half fishes with me and hates being talked to about such things whereas I am the opposite and like to be an ambassador for the hobby. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts