World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, up untill now (because I've run out!) I have been using lead clips to secure my main line to my trace, although this can cause problems as I've found that the swivel gets under the 'lip' of the clip and un-clips itslef.

I usually have a swivel on the end of my trace and on the end of my main line and a clip in between. What should I be using to join the two?

Cheers in advance!

Sam

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I always use a good quality american snap swivvel onto a trace swivvel (Bin the ****ty wee ones that come with rigs - pish!). I've never had a problem with this from either boat or shore.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I put a small rolling swivel on the end of the leader and a Gemini trace clip at the top of the rig.

Stu.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
I use Gemini clips http://www.wsftackle.com/acatalog/gemini_linkclips.shtml on the end of my shockleader and a good quality split ring at the top of my rig. Never had a problem with rigs unclipping themselves and unlike with swivels no hidden internal parts to corrode and fail when you least expect it. Also with this system you can change rigs in seconds and double pat, a method I learnt years ago match fishing and a great trick to carry over to pleasure fishing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I put a gemini clip on the leader and a swivel on the trace..Its never let me down and im confident it never will as long as my knots are good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, cheers for the reply guys. I'll be down the tackle shop stocking up shortly! Think I'll go for the Gemini clips and only use one swivel on my trace or main line.

Thanks again.

Sam

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Sounds to me like you are using the paperclip style links and they are notorious for becoming unclipped. As posted, use the Gemini ones and it's problem solved. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds to me like you are using the paperclip style links and they are notorious for becoming unclipped. As posted, use the Gemini ones and it's problem solved. :)
Yea - they're the ones! They're usually OK, but I got a couple with small lips on them which seem to have a habit un-clipping themselves!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
just tie it to your rig, a weight clip only saves you about 5 seconds of time, and its more ironey loss when you get snagged
if fishing rough ground then get some rotton bottoms

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tying's all good and well, but when your fingers are wet/sticky/cold I find it rather difficult. I do at the best of times anyway!

I used the Gemini clips today and they seemed pretty good. Very easy to attach to the rig body, and it means I can change my rig very quickly and easily when a flounder swallows down half of my hook length!

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
I use Gemini clips http://www.wsftackle.com/acatalog/gemini_linkclips.shtml on the end of my shockleader and a good quality split ring at the top of my rig. Never had a problem with rigs unclipping themselves and unlike with swivels no hidden internal parts to corrode and fail when you least expect it. Also with this system you can change rigs in seconds and double pat, a method I learnt years ago match fishing and a great trick to carry over to pleasure fishing.

You may not have a problem but I believe that the originator of the post has a problem with Geminis.

If the Gemini is causing a problem then take Ticketty Boos advice and change it for a good "snap link" at the trace to mainline.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It wasn't the gemini clips I was having problems with, but some paper-clip-esque clips, as the swivels often got cought under the lip, so that when you strike they just pop off.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Then do as someone suggested and tie it on. Even with slippery and wet hands this knot is tied in 10 seconds.

Clinch Knot

Allegedly we should all move with the times but how can you improve on near perfection with such easy knots.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I use the gemini clip and use a fox knot protector sleeve over it. Slides off nicely when you want to change the rig ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use QF swivels, seperate body which is tied to my shock leader and then the eyes are tied to my rigs, takes about 5 seconds to change one rig for another.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Seems like a right royal mix up here,someone referring to paper clip type links I think you mean fast links nothing wrong with them strong and never let me down,another mentions QFs good bit of kit but a little dated,another omits swivels big mistake in my opinion,myself I use an 80/100lb test swivel to the leader and a gemini on the rig,the reason I choose to go this way is because I there is less chance of a swivel catching on eyes or legs when wrapping up,the swivel seems more willing to pass through the eyes than a gemini or fast link.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I get a swivel then a gemini link thingymabob. Bend the eye of the gemini link and put it throught the swivel (you can buy them like this but they are dear, or i get a snap swivel use this on my trace and a swivel on my leader. I find if i do it the other way around when the rig gets chucked about in the surf it slips into the gemini link and i get a mess so swapped it around no problems now

·
Registered
25,124 Posts
Swivel on leader clip on trace, stops any chance of damaging the rings on the rod.
It also reduces the tendancy of the upward pointing Gemini type clip catching other line in the water or weed etc. when the line is being retrieved .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts