World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
In big decline over recent years matey. Most of the rivers up east have hardly any left now. And I don't think no one really knows why. Good luck though
Keith

·
Premium Member
9,549 Posts
Over fishing of the elvers ( young eels ) and a viral disease, which I believe inhibits the adult eel from spawning are major factors in the eels decline.

·
Premium Member
9,549 Posts
Spot on as usual buddy ;)
Cheers buddy... You'd think so with nearly 30years in fisheries.
Interesting Fact...... due to European eels (Anguilla anguilla ) spawning at great depths in the Sargasso sea. No one has seen a pregnant eel.

·
Premium Member
39,051 Posts
That is why I get so fed up with the bass issue being rammed down our throats all the time when there are other species which really do need protection. Stop elver fishing and I am sure there would be an increase in the eel population and let us be honest it would not put anyone out of work.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Over fishing of the elvers ( young eels ) and a viral disease, which I believe inhibits the adult eel from spawning are major factors in the eels decline.
That's sad isn't it. There were Such quantities of them when I was young in The taff/ely Probably the first thing I ever caught. Mans greed again playing a part eh. Thanks for enlightening me.
Keith

·
Premium Member
9,549 Posts
There are still millions of them in the Usk, had one over 3lb last year. Always return them though.
Now come on Z42 that's a bit of an overstatement. Are you honestly trying to say that the eel isn't in trouble ???

·
Premium Member
9,549 Posts
That is why I get so fed up with the bass issue being rammed down our throats all the time when there are other species which really do need protection. Stop elver fishing and I am sure there would be an increase in the eel population and let us be honest it would not put anyone out of work.
Hi Ken. Until the late 80's levering was a common law right and free to all. Then a licence was brought in and this cut the numbers down. Enforcement and even the tax man got involved and further reduced the numbers fishing for them. At one point they were fetching as much as £150+ per kilo for live elvers. Then the market crashed and stock still declined. Some areas tried restocking by buying from the catchers and restocking elsewhere. ( I don't know the full details but that's what happened ) Some were also farmed to try and regenerate our rivers but of course they can't be breed in captivity.
It was then found that there was a viral infection and that has had a more dramatic effect on the eel than any amount of fishing either for elvers or adults.

·
Team Loonz
8,201 Posts
Barry dock is plagued with them.When they are active during the summer they become a pest.
Shine a headlamp down the edges at night and you will realise just how healthy the population is.

Reactions: Notso

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The sooner they get to the bottom of it the better , as far as the infection or virus goes, but I thought it was catch and release only for river eels now because of the population decreasing over the years or have I got it wrong. As a kid I loved nothing more than catching a big fat female, I haven't changed much, you should see my wife. But I do miss catching them, my biggest freshwater eel was 7 lb 12 ozs which I'm still rather proud of, and that was caught in the dry dock lake in Port Talbot Don't think I'll ever beat that, or even get anywhere close to it.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I honestly don't think the barrage has helped. Affecting the taff/ely rivers. Ie more man made obstructions hindering there route. Which they have had access to for generations. Nice to hear they are still around in numbers at some places. There's a pattern here though suggesting that my theory may have some sustenance. Along with overfishing I may be wrong
Keith

·
Premium Member
9,549 Posts
Barry dock is plagued with them.When they are active during the summer they become a pest.
Shine a headlamp down the edges at night and you will realise just how healthy the population is.
Hi Richy I agree entirely that there are loads in the docks, and many other places. Its all relative. Other places that used to have them are now devoid.
Something that hasn't been mentioned is man made obstacles that young eels find hard to overcome as they migrate.
I once did a survey on eels in the Taff. Below Black weir there were loads of 3-8inch and elvers. Below Treforest weir there considerably less and so it went all the way up the river. After each weir the numbers dropped.

·
Premium Member
9,549 Posts
Hi guys
anyone know of any seriously good spots for silver eel in Pembs at all please??

Cheers
Sorry Curlyfishing. We are talking about eels that have either not gone to sea or have returned and entered the "freshwater". Silver eels are the same eel but in it's sea stage. So to answer your question. I would look for places that are known to have eels either exiting or re-entering freshwater. Not sur that helps you much but hope you find your eels
Notso

·
Premium Member
9,549 Posts
Hell ................... I'm starting to sound like a certain other contributor.......................... heaven forbid lol lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sh#t loads of green eels (same thing) at the foreshore most of the spring, summer and autumn. Any bait cast short on a size 2 hook or smaller. Ruined at least 5 flapper rigs last year lol.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts