World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated b4,im a glutton for information when moving into a new area of angling
as in Sea in this case.
So........Having bombarded "the better anglers" (nuffin personal to any other
learners like myself out there) to provide me with a simple means to
get to grips with all Sea Angling.....ie......vids/dvd,s and so forth, my mate Terry
stumbled over 2 DVD,S albeit from 1993....tackle changes/teaching techniques
do not.
They are Simple Surf Casting parts 1 and 2......now we both have been angling for 40 yrs plus.....but.....in the Sea arena we are complete novices.
Hence me having found what in my/our opinion are 2 bits of relaxing and informative film covering bait collection/multiplier maintenance and most
importantly a "frame by frame" look at the OTG cast and the Hi Inertia cast.
Now both being"Lob casters" it will no doubt take us some time to assimulate
the techniques of either cast,but i am pleased to say that as a result of watching the vid,s our casting and general understanding of sea angling skills has improved no end.
Now the instructor is none other than "Philtherod"....AKA.....Phil Hyde.
so sorry for "Biggin you up Phil" but if there are any other gems
out there just as instructive please let me know.
All you newy,s (like me) give em a go...!!!!!!
O and by the way Phil.....or.....Jack Hargreaves of the south west.!!!
mines a pint.....:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Gaz :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Agree with you here,they are good for newbies,but even better would be to actually go to one of Philtherod,s casting sessions at Goodrington Sands,Paignton during the summer months.
Top bloke in many peoples opinions on here,:notworthy, but what amazes me is how he kept his cool in those 2 videos,having to work with that irritating little RUNT (Liam Dale).

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I,m glad you said that and not me,far be it for me to slag off
the programmes producer..!!!
ssshhhh yer between you and me i was hoping a rogue wave
would wash him into davy jones locker......but hey......it didnt detract
I was learning summit.....so I put up with him....:yucky:

And yes i now do realise phil is a Forum member,fair play to the guy
i learned a lot and would love to learn more but him in Devon
and me at Heathrow......slim chance.

But if i come across vids or articles that promote our sport
and teach my mate and I the finer points of Sea Angling
i will readily submit there names for the learning benefit
of all............thats my its a Forum..!!!!!!!!!

Tight Lines

Gaz :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Alan Yates made a few videos that might be helpful,I remeber one was mostly casting with a bit of rock fishing on the end in Ireland and there was one where he was fishing for flounders,bass and eels in Southampton at an old oyster farm.I
cant remember what they were called but Im sure they came out around the same time as the simple surfcasting ones.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Actually I made the smoke bombs! I still have the modified leads, and no you can't have the recipe...its dangerous stuff to play with, and I am a trained chemical technologist (M.I.Sc.T.), used to handling things like these were, nasty. A burn from one of these types of pyrotechnics would hurt and some.

philtherod

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Agree with you here,they are good for newbies,but even better would be to actually go to one of Philtherod,s casting sessions at Goodrington Sands,Paignton during the summer months.
Top bloke in many peoples opinions on here,:notworthy, but what amazes me is how he kept his cool in those 2 videos,having to work with that irritating little RUNT (Liam Dale).
You should have seen what the late Digger Derrington said about him!!
Younger members have probably never heard of Digger...he was an aussie throwout, who took to the Uks fishing, his moment of fame was teaching Ted Heath, the prime minister to cast at St Marys bay, near New Romney.
He challenged Dick Walker to take up sea angling, to no avail!!
He was a technophobe, and would have turned his nose up at some of the gear we take for granted today, but he could catch fish, just like Ian Gillespie could.
I spoke to Digger when I visited Oz in 2000, he remembered the fun, but not the bores. He died a few months later.

philtherod

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Alan Yates made a few videos that might be helpful,I remeber one was mostly casting with a bit of rock fishing on the end in Ireland and there was one where he was fishing for flounders,bass and eels in Southampton at an old oyster farm.I
cant remember what they were called but Im sure they came out around the same time as the simple surfcasting ones.
The one filmed at langstone harbour is titled shore fishing with alan yates , distributed by clean river productions.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think so Spitfire.......my mate got both from a cornish tackle shop
but i have seen Simple Surfcasting 2 on AMAZON for £4,95
if your interested

Gaz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts