World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather was great low winds clear skies thought we would set off and fish the rocks around St Brides.

On arrival the weather was fine low winds coming from behind us and overcast skies, started our trip up the coastal path. As we ventured further up the hill the wind was picking up the further was reached. By the top of the cliff we were in a position where even standing was difficult. Weighing the circumstances up it was decided that it was a death call to venture down to the rocks, We decided we would follow the coast round and give Broad Haven a go as we didn't want to call it a day before even starting.

We set our gear in front of the car using its light and headed down the beach in hope of catching anything. I was using a simple 1 hook clipped down and my buddy took to a 2 hook flapper in hope of something flat. Rods both in the water and straight away we had to retreat backwards as the flood was extremely fast coming. The winds were coming in strong and varying in direction making detecting a bite next to impossible.
Half hour in and we decided to check our bait.

I pulled in a pin whiting around 10 cm in length.... the fish were here and the catch created hope and ease over the fact we were drenched to the bone and fishing what we thought may end in a blank but NO we would continue to fish with hopes much higher.

I re-baited with my lug and squid cocktail and set it back out with hopes of another.

around another half hour into the fish I thought "That wasn't wind... that was definetley a bite" the rod bounced again so i struck and brought the gear in.

Another pinny was on the hook... foul hooked but still another fish landed!! around 6-8 cm.

As it hit the high water mark with another hour to go before high tide the fishing come to a halt. Maybe it was the swell i don't know but the winds had become so strong it was now physically impossible to even watch the rod ends comfortably so the end was called.

Won't be out until the winds and tides have died down (hopefully next week) but was extremely happy that I caught given the conditions!!

fish released unharmed, Good luck and stay safe if you're as daft as we are to fish the storms!

Daryl

Species 2014 so far- Whiting, Codling, Doggy, Pouting and bass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well done on beating the blank mate, even a little fish is an achievement in this weather. Spot on taking the safer option too its just not worth it

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Good effort....nothing wrong with braving the weather as long as you stay safe and sensible.

Team loonz are out tonight...........fishing naked of course.........:crazy::yeah::cold::eek:hnoes::help:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts