World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title say's I am contemplating altering my engine set up. I have a 16ft dory that at the moment is powered by a single 25hp mariner. This is fine on my own but when fishing 2 or 3 people it is underpowered. Should I look at getting another 25 to twin with or maybe go for a single 50/60 hp. Bearing in mind that either one will need to be secondhand due to budget restraints I would like an opinion on the following:
1) What sort of hp performance would twin [email protected] give.
2) Would fuel consumption be way worse with twin 25's compared to single 50/60
3) Would extra weight of twins be a problem
4) Would performance of both twins need to be exactly the same.
All my fishing is done out of Cardiff into the strong current of the Bristol channel.
Many thanks for any advice. Mark

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
go for the biggest single engine you can put on there.

if its rated to 60hp then put a 60 on.

going for the biggest engine the boat is rated for will mean your not thrashing the engine all day long like you would be with your 25hp engine.

that means you'll get good fuel economy , good relaxed cruise speed at lower rpm and really good top speed if you need it.

what boat is it?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately have no pics on phone and no idea how to get off camera. Have to go now will try to put something up tomorrow.Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
Go for the single - if you go for the extra to make a twin set up, you will have to find the same engine - you will then have to reprop the new engine and your existing one, you will have the performance of approx a single 40hp (2 engines = more weight and twice as much drag), you will have higher fuel consumption than a single engine and twice the servicing costs.

As Garry says, I would go for the max the hull is rated for - gives a more relaxed cruise - often better fuel consumption from an engine that's not working so hard, and have you ever heard anyone on a boat say, "you know, I wish this boat was a bit slower."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts