World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading an article in a fishing mag yesterday and the reporter was reviewing a boat he tested. One of his comments got me a little foxed, it went something like: " I'd change the 200hp (outboard) for 2 100hp engines"
What would be the benefit of this; sounds like you would spend a hell of a bigger wad on 2 engines rather than 1 and still have the same overall hp? And twice the maintenance, for what I'm not sure!!
Must stress, I’m not out to buy a set of engines, for now it's a purely academic question.:nerd:

G

·
Hi Andy

2 engines have the perception and to a point the reality of being more reliable... if one breaks down, you have another to get home on. This gives many who fish way offshore more confidence.

As it happens, 2 x 100's and not 1 x 200's isn't a great idea. To achieve the same overall performance you would need something closer to 2 x 115's.

The downsides are obvious, weight, fuel consumption, service costs etc, one of the upsides is wonderful low speed handling....

Horses for courses. I enjoy driving twins, but have no major qualms about singles.

Tom

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom

Can see your point about reliability when off shore fishing. I do happen to think that twins on a nice boat can look very sexy. ohhhh errr But dont tell the wife:slap:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts