World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to the beach at around 17.30 and fished remainder of low tide and half of the up until 00.30. The beach was completely deserted, not surprising with the driving rain, but in the end I didnt have time to worry about that!

Set up infront of the nearest structure, 2 hook flappers with size 1 hooks on both rods. Lug tipped with squid.

Action from the off with a small dab and small bass, looking promising.

What was to follow was quite unbelievable, if you like whiting that is.

Bite after bite after bite. I couldnt keep up so went down to 1 rod inthe end. Result was around 12 fish of around 30 cm, 1 big bugger of 40cm and not that I was counting but around 15 others ranging in the order of 15-25 CMs.

Great sport and a PB in terms of shear numbers caught. Well happy.

Is this normally the order of the day at Sizewell or do the bigger cod etc come in eventually?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
If you want the bigger Whiting then use fish baits to sort them out from the pins, I use strips 20mm wide on circle hooks on 3 hook flappers, no gut hooked fish

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Just fish, ie Squid,Herring.Mackerel, I don't put elastic on as not needed if fishing close in on deep beaches,also a lot cheaper than 100+ worms. try the wet fish shops or the supermarket if you can't get to a fish market

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you want the bigger Whiting then use fish baits to sort them out from the pins, I use strips 20mm wide on circle hooks on 3 hook flappers, no gut hooked fish
Thanks, that's a useful tip MS because just about every whiting I get seems to be gut hooked. I now tend to cut the snood and put them back in the hope that they stand a better chance of survival than if I hold them for ages while I try, often in vain to get the hook out from way down in their guts.

Should I be striking a bit earlier?

You say you use 20mm wide strips, but how long do you cut the strips and wht size circle hooks do you tend to use?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Don't strike if you use circles as they hook themselves, just fillet the fish and cut into 20mm strips, I use 2/0 Lip Grip circles on 30cm snoods as any shorter they don't work so well, plastic Avis booms crimped on 3 hook flappers get less tangles, you can get them on Ebay cheap if you look,

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks, that's a useful tip MS because just about every whiting I get seems to be gut hooked. I now tend to cut the snood and put them back in the hope that they stand a better chance of survival than if I hold them for ages while I try, often in vain to get the hook out from way down in their guts.

Should I be striking a bit earlier?

You say you use 20mm wide strips, but how long do you cut the strips and wht size circle hooks do you tend to use?
Better to knock your whiting on the head and retrieve your hook with a knife, than putting the fish back with a hook in. The hook will only end up in whatever bird or fish eats the dead whiting (or someone's dog). I bought myself a super-sharp japanese filleting knife last autumn so I can get nice fillets off even the smaller whiting. Nothing better than a plate of these little fillets fried in tempura batter, Kids love them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed, I cannot even bring myself to release with the hook in (and by last nights activity I wouldn't have had any hooks left!) The smaller gut hooked fish I dispatched, surgically removed the hook then threw back. At least it feeds the crabs.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Think I'll take your advice. I guess I was working on something I was told several years ago about hooks desolving pretty quickly (just a few weeks) in the fish and that this was an OK practice. Never really happy about it though, but just doing what I thought was best for them.

I'll certainly be trying MS's advice in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
NSL

I had the same problem with deep hooked flat fish and whiting until I found this dehooker. Works on most deep hooked fish (although it sometimes bends the hook) - and it saves handling the fish which should improve the survival rate of the ones you put back.

http://www.trfishing.nl/index.php?page=fast-hook-release

For the avoidance of doubt I have no connection with the sellers/makers

Vestis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts