World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not really but the little shovel nosed ray is part of both!!!

Quite day on edible species but still came home with enough for a couple of meals. Banjo rays and shovel nosed rays were a nuisance but still good sport on the little kids outfit with 8lb braid. When things are quiet I often drop down to the little outfit as it makes anything I catch seem that much more demanding.

It was Humpback highway yesterday with groups often coming to the boat to check me out, at one point one was so close it gave me a right soaking!!!! When they get so close I pull any lines in as Ive had then get tangled before, which funny enough the last time it happened the whale came to the side of my old zodiac and let me untangle the line from around its pectoral fin. Some knob came flying over in his boat which spooked the family group I had been having close interactions with but you get that with idiots who don't have a clue.

Saw a few yellowfin feeding on very small baits but had no luck getting close enough to them.

Water Liquid Sky Fin Marine biology
Water Liquid Fluid Fin Marine biology
Water Sky Liquid Fin Fluid
Water Sky Cloud Fluid Liquid
Water Fin Fluid Marine biology Whale
Water Sky Plant Liquid Tree
Water Sky Vertebrate Blue Fisherman
Insect Organism Gesture Wood Moths and butterflies
Head Jaw Gesture Feather Water

·
Super Moderator
3,339 Posts
Lovely pictures Jon. It to be always special when whales turn up. Dolphins to be a bit meh in comparison.

What fish is that?
I to think it to look like a snapper

Reactions: JonD

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fish is what we call red snapper but they are actually part of the bream family and not true snapper, they can grow over 1m long and 20kg+.

Yes the dolphins are pretty special and often like to interact with us even when we get in the water. We get quite a few species of dolphins and whales, not just at this time of year but different species of them throughout the year. Most people don't take time to stop and enjoy them, where I will often not end up wetting a line all day if I see wildlife that interests me. I also saw a few penguins which were once known as fairy penguins but the gay community took offence to that so they are know known as little penguins!!!...These little penguins are very hard to photograph as they are so shy but can be called to the boat at times if you can make the right squalk!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,339 Posts
The fish is what we call red snapper but they are actually part of the bream family and not true snapper, they can grow over 1m long and 20kg+.

Yes the dolphins are pretty special and often like to interact with us even when we get in the water. We get quite a few species of dolphins and whales, not just at this time of year but different species of them throughout the year. Most people don't take time to stop and enjoy them, where I will often not end up wetting a line all day if I see wildlife that interests me. I also saw a few penguins which were once known as fairy penguins but the gay community took offence to that so they are know known as little penguins!!!...These little penguins are very hard to photograph as they are so shy but can be called to the boat at times if you can make the right squalk!!!!
Thank you Jon.
It does to look alot like a pink snapper so to probably why it to be called snapper.

I to find dolphins lovely when they to first appear. 10 minutes in i to be bored with them but can to watch a whale all day as to can watch a seal all day aswell.
Never did to see a penguin out of a zoo. So that to be a special for me too. Maybe one day.
To keep trying with the photo. You will to luck out at some point.

·
Registered
21,537 Posts
Thank you Jon.
It does to look alot like a pink snapper so to probably why it to be called snapper.

I to find dolphins lovely when they to first appear. 10 minutes in i to be bored with them but can to watch a whale all day as to can watch a seal all day aswell.
Never did to see a penguin out of a zoo. So that to be a special for me too. Maybe one day.
:( :)

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Jon.

I have gotten pic's of the penguins and had a few used in tourism magazines etc, the problem is getting images Im happy with are pretty rare. We tend to be the people who get asked to do rescues of injured penguins when they are in hard to get to locations. Many get injured by sea eagles like this one we brought home. The muppet in the background is my eldest !!!!

Water Bird Liquid Beak Fluid
Smile Alligator Gesture Fish Nile crocodile

·
Super Moderator
3,339 Posts
I have gotten pic's of the penguins and had a few used in tourism magazines etc, the problem is getting images Im happy with are pretty rare. We tend to be the people who get asked to do rescues of injured penguins when they are in hard to get to locations. Many get injured by sea eagles like this one we brought home. The muppet in the background is my eldest !!!!

View attachment 1374307 View attachment 1374308
You all lead such lives of privilege Jon. To be sure it you to be hard worked to get, but to be so privileged to have the rewards you do for it. Xx

Reactions: JonD

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
You all lead such lives of privilege Jon. To be sure it you to be hard worked to get, but to be so privileged to have the rewards you do for it. Xx
You need to appreciate what you have in the UK, and perhaps not get too excited by what others deem as normal. Some of the sights available in the UK can be awesome and regarded with jealousy by others that don't experience the same. Seeing Kingfishers nabbing minnows on a small trout stream is a wonder, as with rare sightings of beavers, or even simply swans elegantly cruising down the Thames.

That said, like JonD, we get whales coming up past our stretch of coast this time of year, chasing krill. It is not unusual to actually see them from the beach, along with dolphins and near plague proportions of seals. Though our biggest photos of not happen when we get the extreme contrasts between tropical animals and polar. A lagoon to the south of our town is a popular bird sanctuary, where you can see flamingos, pelicans and penguins; go out in the bay and don't be surprised that the seals climb on the boats to avoid the Orcas, and penguins and other sea birds soon exit the sea when a Leopard seal appears. All pretty common sights, but not more noteworthy than some of the natural sights around the UK.

·
Super Moderator
3,339 Posts
You need to appreciate what you have in the UK, and perhaps not get too excited by what others deem as normal. Some of the sights available in the UK can be awesome and regarded with jealousy by others that don't experience the same. Seeing Kingfishers nabbing minnows on a small trout stream is a wonder, as with rare sightings of beavers, or even simply swans elegantly cruising down the Thames.

That said, like JonD, we get whales coming up past our stretch of coast this time of year, chasing krill. It is not unusual to actually see them from the beach, along with dolphins and near plague proportions of seals. Though our biggest photos of not happen when we get the extreme contrasts between tropical animals and polar. A lagoon to the south of our town is a popular bird sanctuary, where you can see flamingos, pelicans and penguins; go out in the bay and don't be surprised that the seals climb on the boats to avoid the Orcas, and penguins and other sea birds soon exit the sea when a Leopard seal appears. All pretty common sights, but not more noteworthy than some of the natural sights around the UK.
I to have been lucky enough to have worked with many of our own wild marine species here Bronzaii over many years as a volunteer, at uni and with work. I also to hold handling licences for terrestrial species here too. I not to take for granted what we to have in the UK at all and to work to conserve it when and where i can. Sadly it to be the firms i have worked for as an mmo to require all data collected as their own and confidentiality agreements to be signed. It to dishearten when you to encounter orca for the first and only time and not be allowed to keep the photos, yet to work for another firm the next month who to let you keep copies of any you to take. for example.

What i did to mean was Jon to be privileged to have made his way to a position where people to call on him out of any others to rescue wild species. It to say alot of him as a person, and to his dedication and drive. He did to push for a better life for himself and his family and to not only be living it, to be thriving. To be in such a role is to be sure a privilege and it to have only come from dedication and hard work.
It not to be envy. But admiration.

Reactions: JonD and Bronzhaii

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I to have been lucky enough to have worked with many of our own wild marine species here Bronzaii over many years as a volunteer, at uni and with work. I also to hold handling licences for terrestrial species here too. I not to take for granted what we to have in the UK at all and to work to conserve it when and where i can. Sadly it to be the firms i have worked for as an mmo to require all data collected as their own and confidentiality agreements to be signed. It to dishearten when you to encounter orca for the first and only time and not be allowed to keep the photos, yet to work for another firm the next month who to let you keep copies of any you to take. for example.

What i did to mean was Jon to be privileged to have made his way to a position where people to call on him out of any others to rescue wild species. It to say alot of him as a person, and to his dedication and drive. He did to push for a better life for himself and his family and to not only be living it, to be thriving. To be in such a role is to be sure a privilege and it to have only come from dedication and hard work.
It not to be envy. But admiration.
Thank you so much😊

1 - 13 of 13 Posts