World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having caught one big skate on a charter boat, I decided to buy my own harness, but where to start? The rods I have are a Daiwa TDX 20-50 and an Ugly Stick Atlantis 30-50. I tried a Penn harness but it pulls only from shoulder height, which drags the harness up. It is possible to place the reel straps at waist height but I haven't put that to the test.

Any advice on types and specific brands/models welcome. If a kidney harness is the way to go, can anyone recommend a low butt pad to go with it please?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Go for as wide a thigh pad as you can. Smaller ones rock around and leave a lot to be desired from a balance point of view. The last thing you want when playing a large fish.

If you can justify the expense then a Black Bart set up is THE way to go. The very comfy kidney harness pairs with the brilliantly designed and wide pad which comes complete with a small recess that fits between your thighs to perfectly balance the pad. IT ISN't CHEAP!

If that's too much then Braid will be a good second, but still a lot of dosh.
Ignore the Lb class ratings and go for the biggest you can. It will be so much more comfy and user friendly.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Having caught one big skate on a charter boat, I decided to buy my own harness, but where to start? The rods I have are a Daiwa TDX 20-50 and an Ugly Stick Atlantis 30-50. I tried a Penn harness but it pulls only from shoulder height, which drags the harness up. It is possible to place the reel straps at waist height but I haven't put that to the test.

Any advice on types and specific brands/models welcome. If a kidney harness is the way to go, can anyone recommend a low butt pad to go with it please?

Thanks in advance.
:wiggle:I have used the Braid set up, kidney harness and butt pad on drop straps for 25 years, that works out at £2 a year, not expensive by a long way but if money is a problem in the short term look at the Jarvis Walker gear now appearing on the market, good kit at a reasonable price, it's been around in Oz for a while so should be good.:wiggle:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

As above, kidney harness and thigh pad unless you are planning on sitting down. A shoulder harness will try to fold your back over while standing and give you lots of sore bits but if you are sitting it is the best one to use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for all the information/advice. The best kit is rarely cheap, but having seen one guy into a skate have to hand over his rod after ten minutes in agony with his back, I see the sense in getting a really good harness setup.

I also need to practice my technique. Once you start playing a big skate you are commited. You clearely need to have your harness adjusted ready to clip on. Otherwise - and this happened to me, you have a harness hurredly thrown on as the fish takes its initial run, with the reel straps too short and spend the whole time bent over and unable to find a strong stance. That really kills your back.:schmoll:
Cheers.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Ok thanks for all the information/advice. The best kit is rarely cheap, but having seen one guy into a skate have to hand over his rod after ten minutes in agony with his back, I see the sense in getting a really good harness setup.

I also need to practice my technique. Once you start playing a big skate you are commited. You clearely need to have your harness adjusted ready to clip on. Otherwise - and this happened to me, you have a harness hurredly thrown on as the fish takes its initial run, with the reel straps too short and spend the whole time bent over and unable to find a strong stance. That really kills your back.:schmoll:
Cheers.
forgot to add make sure you get a kidney harness with proper steel clips not those plastic or ba*tard metal ones as they will fail when you need it the most. (been there done that)

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
only ever needed to use one when i fished with the longer type rods,using 6ft rods now and no need for a harness of any kind when sitting down,but if standing up with a longer type rod (everything Davy says)

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
If you can justify the expense then a Black Bart set up is THE way to go. The very comfy kidney harness pairs with the brilliantly designed and wide pad which comes complete with a small recess that fits between your thighs to perfectly balance the pad. IT ISN't CHEAP!
Do you mean Black Magic Tom? I have a set on the boat and it's great.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Do you mean Black Magic Tom? I have a set on the boat and it's great.
Ooops! :bangin:

Absolutely!
http://www.blackmagic.co.nz/
Seriously good harness and pads.
$395 New Zealand dollars for the complete harness and pad set (complete with carry bag) and delivered anywhere in the world within 1 week.

If I get back in to Big Game fishing in any serious way I shall be investing in a set and fleabaying my Braid stuff.

Black Bart is totally separate! It's Bart Miller's range of big game tackle and doesn't include harnesses! LOL! :whistling

1 - 11 of 11 Posts