·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some kind person show me a simple skate rig for casting , cheers

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
We get giant rays here as bycatch, trace strengths don't really make much difference on the size of ray. Simply put, they don't have razor teeth and are easily hooked in the mouth with j or circle hooks. If you are able to pull drag settings more than 30lb you will obviously need heavier line than that. Personaly Ive never broken 50lb momoi diamond on a ray.

If a ray is dragging your line over rough ground a heavier trace may help a little but there's still the same main line and shock leader being dragged around the rough ground.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
We get giant rays here as bycatch, trace strengths don't really make much difference on the size of ray. Simply put, they don't have razor teeth and are easily hooked in the mouth with j or circle hooks. If you are able to pull drag settings more than 30lb you will obviously need heavier line than that. Personaly Ive never broken 50lb momoi diamond on a ray.

If a ray is dragging your line over rough ground a heavier trace may help a little but there's still the same main line and shock leader being dragged around the rough ground.
:) The reason I suggested heavier traces for bigger rays is that they take longer to get in so more chafing of the trace. I have seen blondes caught from a boat wear through 80lb mono in a strong tide. :(

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) The reason I suggested heavier traces for bigger rays is that they take longer to get in so more chafing of the trace. I have seen blondes caught from a boat wear through 80lb mono in a strong tide. :(
I've already got 200lb trace n rig body and 10/0 bronze hooks on order ,it's just what type of rig are people using , I'm going to Scotland September to have a go

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've already got 200lb trace n rig body and 10/0 bronze hooks on order ,it's just what type of rig are people using , I'm going to Scotland September to have a go
:) I went to Scotland and had 10 commons , biggest 154lb and I used a 2ft x 150lb trace with 10/0 hook and didn't lose a fish. Others on the boat had bigger hooks and stronger, shorter traces and had less fish. Apparently smaller hooks, 10/0s and below and longer traces, over 1ft means deep hooked fish but none of mine were deep hooked. I think bigger hooks mean less bites and short traces mean the fish bumps its nose on the lead, just a theory but it worked for me. I used a ledger rig with a boom, 50/80 roller rod with a Shakespeare Alutechnos 2 speed reel with 80lb braid. One guy stripped the gears on a Shimano TLD 20 or 25 using 100lb braid. :)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) I went to Scotland and had 10 commons , biggest 154lb and I used a 2ft x 150lb trace with 10/0 hook and didn't lose a fish. Others on the boat had bigger hooks and stronger, shorter traces and had less fish. Apparently smaller hooks, 10/0s and below and longer traces, over 1ft means deep hooked fish but none of mine were deep hooked. I think bigger hooks mean less bites and short traces mean the fish bumps its nose on the lead, just a theory but it worked for me. I used a ledger rig with a boom. :)
I'm doing it from the beach ,not boat's I hate boats ,I hate boats so much lol

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
:) Same sort of rig I would imagine but less weight and a different rod and reel. If you have £250 spare you can have my BNIB Penn International Torq 100, never been used and not up for sale but for you I'll sell it for your "expedition." :)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) Same sort of rig I would imagine but less weight and a different rod and reel. If you have £250 spare you can have my BNIB Penn International Torq 100, never been used and not up for sale but for you I'll sell it for your "expedition." :)
No thanks norm , I've already got rods n reels all sorted out ,but thanks for your kind offer lol

Reactions: ISW

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
No thanks norm , I've already got rods n reels all sorted out ,but thanks for your kind offer lol
:) OK, I bought it for a special shore trip abroad which didn't go ahead so I've sold both rods and 1 reel but kept the Torq as it looks good in my bling cabinet. :)

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
On the rare occasions that we target big rays or skate down here, longer traces of heavy mono are favoured, as there is a train of thought that skates and rays don't like the spiky nature of wired sinkers on their underside when they land down on a bait. So, something like a limited travel flowing trace would seem to be optimum, that way you can get a decent distance between bait and sinker. Stiff rigging J hooks on the mono with double barrel crimps would perhaps offer a good connection between mono and hook, as well as help avoid deep hooking. Otherwise bronze painted Mustad O'Shaugnessy hooks are proven to rust out quicker than any other hooks, and can be sharpened to a razor point.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the rare occasions that we target big rays or skate down here, longer traces of heavy mono are favoured, as there is a train of thought that skates and rays don't like the spiky nature of wired sinkers on their underside when they land down on a bait. So, something like a limited travel flowing trace would seem to be optimum, that way you can get a decent distance between bait and sinker. Stiff rigging J hooks on the mono with double barrel crimps would perhaps offer a good connection between mono and hook, as well as help avoid deep hooking. Otherwise bronze painted Mustad O'Shaugnessy hooks are proven to rust out quicker than any other hooks, and can be sharpened to a razor point.

Hope that helps.
That's what I'm thinking a shortish running ledger but the lead attached to a boom of some kind with a rotten bottom

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

Do you want some hooks n bits if i can find them as had some big O'shaughnessy hooks somewhere also have some Eagle Star 9/0 hooks i got a box of can have some of them.
Ande mono is good for leaders tougher than an ole hookers muff! great if over rocky ground which will be off the shore.
Check on here for chris Kennedy/black tide story on skate fishing trip if still on here a lot of the areas like lochs are stepped as come closer to shore

i'd probably go up n over running ledger or maybe pulley?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you want some hooks n bits if i can find them as had some big O'shaughnessy hooks somewhere also have some Eagle Star 9/0 hooks i got a box of can have some of them.
Ande mono is good for leaders tougher than an ole hookers muff! great if over rocky ground which will be off the shore.
Check on here for chris Kennedy/black tide story on skate fishing trip if still on here a lot of the areas like lochs are stepped as come closer to shore

i'd probably go up n over running ledger or maybe pulley?
Already sorted tourny , all I'm asking is what type of rigs are people using ,there is very little information around the subject, and as for advice were to fish for them that's even more impossible to get ,I'm starting in around Oban , hopefully one of the tackle shops will point me in the right direction when I get there

Reactions: tournamag

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts