World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what I read (but not had chance to out into practice) up and over or a pulley rig. (Clipped down would be easier to cast). Skate are not massively trace shy so you won't need a long snood just long enough to get bait flat on the bottom. With heavy mono for abrasion resistance

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
:) The reason I suggested heavier traces for bigger rays is that they take longer to get in so more chafing of the trace. I have seen blondes caught from a boat wear through 80lb mono in a strong tide. :(
Fully understand people using heavier, especially with them being a relatively rare catch (even though they have the name common skate!!!).

The rays here are actually very common, so easy to test on what works and what doesn't, I simply wasn't talking without experience, also the momoi diamond breaks well above its rating.

A couple of things to keep in mind for anyone targeting them. Firstly have a plan on how to remove hooks as they are very difficult to turn over, also pulling them out of the water for photos is hard without sticking them with a gaff, as is returning them to the water.

Don't use wire or braid straight through, I have personally seen and photographed big rays that have been sliced through their wings by wire and braid.

The strength of the main line is irrelevant to some point, line capacity is way more important. Having 50-80 or even 100lb line on a reel that only holds 150-200m is crazy compared to using lighter line of 300-400m on a rod and reel very few humans can apply more than 10-15lb of constant drag pressure with.

The lighter traces I use can be broken in shallow water using a glove rather than drag these rays out of the water. I have never had a ray break my line unfortunately but I did get spooled on them when I first moved here from the UK using the gear I was used to using back there.

How ever you end up targeting them, good luck and I hope to see a catch report in the future. If you ever want to practice on stingrays, I can pretty much guarantee you one within 5 mins.

This is how common they are around boat ramps and fish cleaning tables locally.
_JDP3315.jpg

_JDP3329.jpg

_JDP3405.jpg

Even over this rough ground they glide over the rocks so don't break off gear.

_MG_7474.jpg

Bigger specimens are found in water from 10m to several hundred metres. Ive seen one of these in an old fishing book killed and hanging on the scales at 1800lb.

_MG_7742.jpg

Rays like sharks are rarely targeted by anyone these days, its far easier to justify things targeted to eat with those against the sport, hence why to have a quick release plan in the back of your mind.

This is the simple rig I use from the shore, its worked fine for me for many years and often with baits up to 1kg.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts