World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this trip planned for today because they forecast good weather with light winds,
My plan was to arrive at high water and fish the tide down the point then 2 hours back up but when I got there. the waves were massive, left over from the recent storms so I ruled out the rocks because it was too dangerous.
I settled for the beach and it was the first time I used my new rod< a Shakespeare Agile MX Surf 12.9 ft and I must say I'm very pleased with it and casting a good distance.
Within a few minutes I had a slack line bite but laughed like a good 'un when I found it was a Bass smaller than most of you have in your home fish tanks but blank beaten.
After the tide turned it went out almost as fast as I can walk and found myself time and again fishing in a couple of inches of water.
By this time I notice the waves on the point were a lot smaller so I took my gear over there and found myself a platform a bit back from the edge. I fished here and it was quite comfy until a huge wave broke, I saw it coming and I turned my back and it soaked my back and legs, luckily I keep my mobile in my sarnie box when fishing, but that was enough for me and called it a day, not very productive but nice to get out in the sun. Chris

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice report and pictures mate

I've caught some cracking smoothounds. Rays
And hundreds of doggies from sker

Love the place especially because I pick all fresh live peeler crab straight of the rocks

Bang them straight on my pulley Pennal rig lol

Don't love the walk back mind lol!!!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Sonik, I'll have a look for peelers next time I'm there, I have never caught a Smoothie, perhaps I can address that this Summer, you are right about the walk but it gave me chance to dry out a bit plus there was an Ice cream van in the car park so I enjoyed a Mr Whippy LOL.
Chris

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Well at least you caught there Chris, better after dark to and when I fish there its always on an incoming tide, sod chasing the tide out there, and as for the walk not a fan but sometimes it's worth it. Nice report to.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi mate good effort but I must stress don 't fish the likes of sker high water on a large tide with the weather as it has been the swells will be there for a day or two after. Sker should only be fished on a mid to neap tide at high water or best fish it low water on a small tide. Try not to fish it on your own mate. Sounds like I m being a bit too cautious but trust me. Take care fella

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Well done chris, always nice to be out..I've had a few close calls on sker and plenty of showers..
I'll let you know when hounds are in morfa and we meet up for a nice summers night ray and hounding.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Johnny rotten bottom is right mate

Never fish sker on a big tide

I tend to fish off the rocks by the bay that has the little lifeguard station

Good at night at low water

Had plenty of ray on whole squid from there mate

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
As said chris..sw wind and storm force leaves big waves rolling in at any time....even if wind drops off next day....and more dangerous in dark...the beach can by very good on incoming tide hour before low then fish tide in.....not trying to put you off because sker is a great mark, just be careful....you can check magic seaweed for rest bay,this will give you good info on size of waves.....paul

·
Team Loonz
8,201 Posts
Nice report and very wise to be cautious down there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.