World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best way i've found for getting the skin off doggies is to dip the fish into boiling water for 1-2 secs then it just rubs off with your fingers it takes about 20 secs in total

G

·
Still leaves the amonia residue in the flesh and not very nice at all.

If you really want to keep a doggie (why?) the easiest way is:

1) Slice around the neck area just into the flesh, but not too deep.
2) Slice off the dorsal fin, anal fins and chop off the tail.
3) Cut off the belly flaps completely
4) Gently run a knife down the back from neck to tail stump and then from the vent to the tail stump on the under side.
5) Using a filleting knife cut a small nick in the skin at the top of the neck on one side.
6) Holding the head in your left hand, grab the nick of skin in your right and pull.
The whole side of skin will pull off pretty easily.
7) Repeat for the other side.

Do the above whilst the fish is still very fresh and you will have a nice clean, amonia free piece of rock salmon ready for the pan.

· Registered
9,545 Posts
The best way i've found for getting the skin off doggies is to dip the fish into boiling water for 1-2 secs then it just rubs off with your fingers it takes about 20 secs in total
I use that method for rays as the skin is more delicate. Doggies are easy enough to skin with the glove method (like Tom's but pull the whole skin off in one go), but rays are a lot more difficult - to be honest I have never mastered it, I always use your hot dip method.

To get rid of the stink, I freeze the few dogfish and rays that I keep for a couple of weeks, the ammonia will have gone when you thaw them.

· Registered
3,105 Posts
Still leaves the amonia residue in the flesh and not very nice at all.
<snip>
Do the above whilst the fish is still very fresh and you will have a nice clean, amonia free piece of rock salmon ready for the pan.

I never knew the ammonia was in the skin! :notworthy
Had a piece of skate a few weeks back in t'pub and the ammonia was so strong it remided me of the fume cupboard at school. Could not really taste it but the smell put me right off.
Cheers
Max

· Registered
9,545 Posts
I never knew the ammonia was in the skin! :notworthy
Had a piece of skate a few weeks back in t'pub and the ammonia was so strong it remided me of the fume cupboard at school. Could not really taste it but the smell put me right off.
Cheers
Max
Ammonia is not really in the skin, it is in the flesh of very fresh non-bony fish like ray and sharks/dogfish. You can either keep the fish chilled for a few days to let the ammonia leach out, or freeze it and keep it a lot longer. Some people say the ammonia taste comes back if it is stale. An old fisherman's tale is that they used to nail rays to a barn door, and when the flies started to land on them they were OK to eat. I'm not sure I would do that....

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Ammonia is not really in the skin, it is in the flesh of very fresh non-bony fish like ray and sharks/dogfish. You can either keep the fish chilled for a few days to let the ammonia leach out, or freeze it and keep it a lot longer. Some people say the ammonia taste comes back if it is stale. An old fisherman's tale is that they used to nail rays to a barn door, and when the flies started to land on them they were OK to eat. I'm not sure I would do that....
Yeah,

Then they threw away the fish and ate the doors.:yucky: :yucky:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.