World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i live in northern ireland and have got back into fishing again after a long spell away from it, ive also been looking at fishing boats but i was under the impression that to use a small boat big enough say for three or four, that i would need a skippers licence or something to that effect.
i have been told that i dont need any type of licence, just get a boat and go fishing... is this correct??

thanks for any advice.
terry

G

·
hi all,

i live in northern ireland and have got back into fishing again after a long spell away from it, ive also been looking at fishing boats but i was under the impression that to use a small boat big enough say for three or four, that i would need a skippers licence or something to that effect.
i have been told that i dont need any type of licence, just get a boat and go fishing... is this correct??

thanks for any advice.
terry
For the time being, and provided you don't operate it for "hire & reward" - i.e. no charge levied on the other people, you don't need any type of licence in the UK & Eire, that I know of.

I would strongly recommend you do the RYA level 2 course, however, for the safety of yourself & your friends.

Come the inevitable day that the EU insists upon formal qualifications for private small boat owners, you'll be one step ahead.

·
Registered
887 Posts
just a question?
If a boat is used for charter angling ie gain/reward I understand beside cop a coatal skipper or RYA cert is required.
I have a fshing skippers cert also chief mate stcw 95 cert.....would I still have to do the coastal skipper/RYA cert?
Cheers

·
Registered
784 Posts
hi all,

thanks for any advice.
terry
like ********** said do your rya power level 2 and do the trawlers course 200 quid you do sea survival,fire fighting,navagation and watch keeping and health and saftey its a good course ,a week long,i also recomend you do a radio operators ticket so you know how to speak properly on the net and how so send maydays etc etc,

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
just a question?
If a boat is used for charter angling ie gain/reward I understand beside cop a coatal skipper or RYA cert is required.
I have a fshing skippers cert also chief mate stcw 95 cert.....would I still have to do the coastal skipper/RYA cert?
Cheers
Hi

Have a read of Chapter 26 at page 100 and also Annex 3 at page 118 at www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mgn_280-2.pdf

As a "pleasure vessel" please see http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07...ips/mcga-dqs-cvs-pleasure_craft_info_pack.htm

All the best

Davey

G

·
Ummmm...think we risk confusing terry09 here, chaps. If he's thinking of a small recreational fishing boat, the the RYA 2 & VHF/DSC are sufficient for a start.

If he wants to start chartering, or fishing commercially, it's the sort of ball game you're getting into.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
if you want to carry up to 12 fare paying passengers up to 20 miles offshore, up to a 24m boat a commercial advanced powerboat certificate is needed. Pass the RYA/MCA commercial advanced exam (an RYA advanced cert is recommended beforehand) plus have an ML5 medical, 1 day personal survival techniques/sea survival course, vhf/dsc certificate, 1st aid certificate.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Ummmm...think we risk confusing terry09 here, chaps. If he's thinking of a small recreational fishing boat, the the RYA 2 & VHF/DSC are sufficient for a start.

If he wants to start chartering, or fishing commercially, it's the sort of ball game you're getting into.....
Whoops, thought he was asking if his fishing skippers & chief mate stcw 95 tickets would exempt him from having to go for a commercially endorsed RYA ticket or Boatmasters, *if* he wanted to run a charter operation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the advice all...
yes paul_G just myself and a couple of friends out fishing .. no charge..
not way out to sea though.. just off shore and just for fun

·
Registered
999 Posts
hi terry09 for what you intend to do you would not need any form of licence- if you have a radio on board then do a course for the radio, if you havnt used a boat before then you should consider a rya 2 course , the rya2 should i think be a minimum every boat owner should have by law, hopefully one day, good luck :victory:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Originally Posted by wavelength
... (an RYA advanced cert is recommended beforehand)...

Hi Dave

Is it worth elaborating on the above?
you can do the adv commercial exam without any prior rya certs except you need the src radio/1st aid/sea survival and can then be issued with an adv commercially endorsed ticket if ya pass!!and it aint always easy - for folk who have loadsa experience but no certs. However the advanced course completion cert cuts down on the req seatime and can be a good learning eperience even for those with lotsa time on the water. Topics such as Lights on vessels, chartwork etc etc can be an eyeopener for those who know their own patch like the back of their hand but never need to think outside their comfort zone.
Our last adv night excercise was in morecambe bay last week, forecast SW gale imminent - and we got it in a 6m rib with driving rain and virtually nil viz at one time. As the front with its squally showers went thru we then got the veering wind behind it and mega visibility -just like the book says!
But the question was licences for pleasure-just vhf and possibly whatever the local slipway owners require.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts