World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
5 of us (Phil, Steve, Rob, Ian and myself) set of on the long trip to Skjervoy on the 2nd, it was the first time for myself and Steve with the others being once before, so we were all very green. After trawling through the forums and seeing pictures from the others previous trip I had high hopes of catching some decent fish in the week to come.

We arrived at the fish camp approximately 12:45am on the saturday morning, managing to see Moose and reindeer on our long but lovely coach journey from the airport. Once arrived we quickly hit the sack for a few hours sleep before meeting Roger (the new manager) at 8am to collect the 2 boats for the week and get out on our first days fishing.

Day 1:

Unfortunately the weather wasn't brilliant on our first day, but it was good enough for us to go out in the boats and get some fishing done. With the weather in mind we decided to fish a mark Rob had fished on his previous trip on the north west side of Haukoya. Luckily we had a good drift and fished in approximately 50m of water and the bait fish were showing in numbers! Well the fish didn't disappoint and we were into them straight away, on Phils first drop he had a cod of 34lb and Ian picked up a cod of 42lb shortly after on his 2nd drop. It wasn't long after that my rod was bent over and i was into my first cod of the trip weighing in t 30lb. With the fish holding we decided to stay for the day and landed plenty of fish in the 20's and 30's. Steve and Rob on the other boat had similar success with there best fish of the day being 34lb, 32lb, 30lb and 27lb. Other species caught on this mark on the day were coalies (plenty of them!!), torsk and wolfish.

View media item 55441View media item 55449View media item 55457View media item 55465
Day 2:

With the 1st day fishing so well we decided to head back to the same mark as the first day (i know lot of people advice not to do this, but we just couldn't help it). The day fished well for Phil, Ian and myself , I even landed a personnel best 34lb cod which I was ore than pleased with. At one point we had 4 fish on the boat at one time all weighing in the 30's!! We finished the day with the best fish being 34lb, 32lb and 31lb with plenty in there late 20's and early 30's. Unfortunately for Steve and Rob on the other boat it didn't fish as well which we found strange as they were doing exactly the same drift as us and never very far away from us. Other species caught on day 2 were, coalies (again, lots of), torsk, wolfish and a small haddock. One thing we did note was that on this day the ebb seemed to fish a lot better than the flood.

View media item 55473View media item 55481
Day 3:

We decided to head straight over the the mark we fished the previous days so that we could fish the ebb, which had proved to be the best time to fish on this mark. Upon arrival we noticed we were drifting in the opposite direction and for some reason, although the bait fish were present the cod weren't showing and after a few drifts we decided it was time to give another mark a try after only having 1 24lb cod. We decided to try a mark on the east side of Laukoya close in on the point. Again unfortunately no fish were showing, not even the bait fish!! So we quickly decided to move again to a mark we liked the look of on the charts where there was a plateau where it came up to about 10-11m (later learned this area was known as the crossroads) ad we drifted across this and fished up to 60m. Here we found the bait fish straight away and it wasn't long untill we started hitting the cod. Ian was straight into a rather reddy looking cod, Phil was into a 22lb cod and I had landed a 24lb cod. The fishing stayed good for a while which picked the mood up a bit on both boats. After a short while of nothing but baitfsh, i got a bite (another bait fish) and as i was slowly reeling it in my rob tip bent right round and i knew i was into a decent cod! I was soon to learn i had smashed my previous pb of 34lb and my new pb was now standing at 40lb, needless to say i was over the moon!! It was obvious there was decent fish knocking about and Ian was soon to go one better than me by landing the first halibut of the week weighing in at 70lb. On the other boat Steve and Rob's best fish were 34.5lb and 30lb, with plenty of cod in the late 20's. Speices caught on day 4 were cod, coallies, torsk, wolfish and halibut.

View media item 55593View media item 55585View media item 55609View media item 55601View media item 55617
Day 4:

With the weather now starting to clear up we decided we would move further out and decided to fish a mark just west of Indrevika. The sea was a lot calmer than previous days and there wasn't a lot of movement on the water. Fishing slow but we picked up a few cod in the mid to late 20's and Ian's luck carried on with him landing a 46lb cod, a new pb for himself! Steve and Rob had a slightly better day than us with them picking up quite a few fish in the early 30's and lots of fish in the late 20's. Species cught o this mark was similar to previous days with cod, coallies, wolfish and torsk.

View media item 55625
Day 5:

Again the weather was ever improving so we decided to fish slightly further up from the previous days mark and fished just further up from the cottages just east of Andsnes. Here we picked up a few decent sized torsk and wolfish and a few codling, but we found the ground to be extremely snaggy! After a while we decided to move and fish the crossroads mark we had fished previously in the hope of another big cod or halibut. Unfortunately our luck wasn't there and we picked up 1 35lb cod and the rest were between 12lb and 18lb, lovely cod if we caught them back home but not what we were hoping for in Norway ha! Again the species caught on these marks were the same as previous days.

Day 6:

After seeing Ian's battle with the halibut on Day 3 and with 2 of us never having caught a Halibut we decided that we would target them on the last day. We spent the morning drifting up the south west side of Spildra with shads and 'dead baits' but unfortunately none of us had any luck. With it being our last day we wanted to try and catch some good fish so halfway through the day we moved up to the mouth of the sea in the hope of more big cod. Our luck was getting worse and worse and we were only managing to pic up a few double figure cod. With the weather being so nice and the fishing being so slow on the last day we decided to call it a day at tea time and head to the shop for some beer to enjoy with our fish and chips.

Overall i had what i thought was a cracking first trip to Norway, the company was great, the accommodation was good, and the fishing was great (apart from the last day :( haha) Throughout the week the best end tackle proved to be a Norwegian pirk with a small muppet added to the treble and the famous puffin proved to be the best shad. Feel free to get intouch for any other info on the trip! Finally a big thanks to Gordon and Nigel who both provided me with plenty of help and knowledge prior to my 1st trip to ensure I had a head start, most appreciated!

Thanks

Matthew

·
Registered
12,114 Posts
Great report, sounds like you had a great time with plenty of decent sized Cod, unfortunately I can't see any of your pictures as they all come up with an error saying that 'You do not have permission to view media within this album'.

We are off to Sandland on Thursday for 2 weeks and will post a report on our return

·
Registered
123 Posts
great report be good to see some pictures, sounds like Skjervoy is fishing well, to be honest ive never known so many big cod constantly to be caught in the Fjord, them sort of results you were getting we would have to head of shore to find. well done

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great report, sounds like you had a great time with plenty of decent sized Cod, unfortunately I can't see any of your pictures as they all come up with an error saying that 'You do not have permission to view media within this album'.

We are off to Sandland on Thursday for 2 weeks and will post a report on our return
Just had a look now and hopefully sorted it out, are you able to see the pictures now? Cheers

·
Read Only
0 Posts
That sounds like a pretty successful first trip with some quality fish caught. Well done. I guess you may be going back again soon! Fishing in Norway should carry a warning that it can seriously damage your bank balance when you keep on returning!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Great fishing guys and great detailed report.

As a Skervoy fan - it being the first (and last) place that I have fished in northern Norway - I am pleased to see the first Summer 2017 Skjervoy report.
And you didn't disappoint with some proper cod and a decent butt.

Next year you'll be pulling in the butts.

·
Registered
12,114 Posts
Hopefully sorted it now, please let me know if you can now see them. Cheers
Yes all sorted and just for reference, the Red Cod you caught are normally native Cod and never leave the area and it's normal to put them back, we always do.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great report and some cracking fish, especially for a first trip. Hope its a sign of things to come for the rest of the summer!
Well done!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sounds like a pretty successful first trip with some quality fish caught. Well done. I guess you may be going back again soon! Fishing in Norway should carry a warning that it can seriously damage your bank balance when you keep on returning!
Will definitely going back to Norway next year, although I know we will struggle to beat the trip we had this year. I agree it can do a fair bit of damage! Luckily I had read some advice on here about taking food out there with us so we saved a lot of money that way

1 - 20 of 29 Posts