World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANYBODY FISHED THE SKJERVOY AREA EARLY MAY, IF SO ANY TIPS AND POINTERS. ANYTHING WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.:boat:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello

I have fished Skjervoy in May for the past five years, indeed I was the first to promote this outstanding destination. The fishing can be superb and May is my favourite month, it can also be very tough.

Give Anglers World Holidays a ring on 01246 221747 and request a Norway brochure, I have a full list of tackle tips in there.

Hope you have a great trip; I am sure you will! I am there guiding for a week from May 24th.

All the best.

Dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave, Going With Anglers World So Clued Up There. I Just Have That Appetite For Hints Ect. At The Mo. We Have The Arvor So It Should Open Up The Area A Bit. No Presure On Me As The Only Boat Angler And The One Who Has To Find The Fish Or It Will All Be My Fault!
Is It Better On The Outside Weather Permiting At This Time? Or Do I Just Look For Features And Bait Fish On The Inside??
Regards Scott....

Dont Think I Will Need My Gib. Gear!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi scott

There's excellent fishing just outside the harbour entrance, and many, many other really productive marks both inside and outside the fjord.

If its your first time up there the very best advice I can offer is to get Anglers World Hollidays to arrange for the areas top guide, Holger, to take you out on the first day. Yes there will be an extra charge, but Holger will show you exactly where and how to fish.

Hope that helps.

Dave

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Skjervoy is magic scott, i have only been once but i can't wait to go again which unfortunately will have to be next year. I went late march into april a couple of years ago and although the fishing was a bit slow due to missing the big run of large spawning cod we still had plenty up to 17lb, plus all the other species. I still miss the place like mad!!:schmoll:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Just look to your left and you can see me whizzing out of Skjervoy harbour hehe

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just Got Back, Had To Travel Miles Every Day, Hour And A Half Steam On Average To Get To Fish. Very Patchy We Broke Personel Bests And I Managed A 70kilo Flounder On 30lb Gear. Nothing But Praise For Shimano Travel Rods And Tekota With Ron Tom Dyneema. Regards Scott...............

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Scott,

I dont suppose you can give more details on your groups catch could you?

70kilo flounder - I guess you had therefore a 160lb+ Halibut on 30lb gear? Any other halibut?

What was the biggest cod, coalfish and wolffish? What were the numbers and averages like? Any big haddock?

Was it really 1.5 hours steaming before you got to productive fishing grounds? Were talking about a boat with 20 knots speed right?

Late April and early May have as expected been quite slow here in Bergen, and it is generally the worst time of the year despite the fact that if your lucky you can hit spawned out cod shoals and wolffish on the right spots.

Regards,

Kevin

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kevin, Yes It Was A Halibut We Had Two All Week The Other Was 4kilo, One Other Was Caught By A German Angler About 30kilo. The Best Cod Were Mid 30 And With Roe In Them. We Had To Keep One Which Try As We May It Would Not Go Back. These Fish Were Thin On The Ground I Spent Most Of The Time With My Eye On The Sounder To Locate Them. We Had Plenty Of Doubles But The Were Patchy. Had We Stayed Near To Skjervoy We Could Have Slaughtered Small Stuff All Week, As Some Parties Did. Plenty Of Torsk And Wolfs Haddock And Coalies Were Very Thin On The Ground And Only Very Small. Yes We Did Have To Steam For Ages To Find Productive Marks And Even These Only Produced For A Short Period Of Time. All And All An Enjoyable Week Will Go Later Inthe Year If At All..............

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Scott,

Well, with a 160lb Halibut (= fish of a lifetime) and a good number of double figure (guess were talking pounds now or?) cod and a 30lber, then the trip sounded worth it to me.

The mags have hyped up things so that people think the sea is simply brimming with 30-50lb cod, 20lb cod are a pain in the ar**, and there are genuine chances of taking a 60-80lber (or 100lber as the advert says). However, the reality is not always whats depicted.

Nevertheless, if you took double figure cod each day and a mid 30lber for a weeks fishing this is "ok" in my opinion, albeit less than perhaps you were hoping for. Next time maybe there are a few more larger fish on show?

On my boat we have had 2x 40lb Ling landed within 1 hour, backed up with plenty of mid singles, some doubles doubles and a 20 or two, other days I struggle to get a double figured fish if conditions are not right. Its all part of the charm in fishing.

Regards,

Kevin

·
Registered
968 Posts
:) Sounds like you had some excellent fishing scott, yet you also sound a bit dissapointed at the same time. I must agree with Kevin on the aspect about how some magazines paint fantastic portraits of the land of giant fish.
How great it is and if you cant catch fish here then you are a numpty. I agree it can be fantastic at times.
But it can also be bloody hard going, if the fish don't play ball and the weather can be very agressive.
But 160lb + halibut is one hell of a fish. Well done on that one.
One thing i learned about fishing in norway is not to expect all your fish to be nailed to the bottom. Far from it.
The fish can be anywhere from 1m to 50m from the bottom which makes the fishing even more difficult. Did you use a local guide as suggested on an earlier post or was it all self drive? :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys Thanks For The Replies, Yes It Was A Great Week And We Did Fall For The Glossy Hype. What I Would Say Is That If We Hadnt Gone For The Arvor Boat It Would Have Been A Struggle To Get More Than Small Fish. The Fact We Had No Flares Or Vhf Was Always On The Back Of My Mind As Well Being The One In The Wheelhouse I Was Reluctent To Go To Far As All In My Party Have Worked In Norway Over The Years We No What It Can Fling Up. All The Fish Were Tight On The Bottom Chasing Small Bait Fish Not The Coalies We Had Hoped For. I Must Stress That We Were To;d By The Guides And Locals That The Season Was Very Late This Year And The Larger Fish Were Not In In Any Numbers, But We Went To Where They Suggested And It Paid Off. The Safety Aspect Is Being Addressed By The Way. Any Way Sorry For The Points Not Being In Any Order.
How Do I Import A Pic To Post It? Regards Scott........ Ps Remember That I Am 6 Foot 5 So I Dont Do The Fish Justice But My Back Is Still Stiff!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Any Pics Come Out ??
Um….in a word Scotty, NO.

Have you tried reading this thread - http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63449? It covers hosting images through Photobucket.

Alternatively you can attach images direct – look for the Manage Attachments button – under the Message box when replying. But there’re limits on file sizes. I use this method frequently resizing images, if necessary, through a piece of freeware – IrfanView. There’s a reasonable HELP file with that.
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts