World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
cod king said:
How big do the fish grow to. Do you spin with the abu tobys. What baits do you use for the conger and the huss.
The pollack and cod can go to double figure, so can the bass but more often the bass are up to 5lb. We use small pirks up to 60grm, and the traditional toby's ect with 12-16lb braid. If you find yourself there at dusk then try to get in close and use some surface poppers.
Usual baits for the conger and huss of makerel, squid, large sandeel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
hi lads

i do all my fishing out of solva and its seems relitively similar, but we eint got cod!!!

i no there is cod out on the sylvia but i only have a small 15 ft dingy and its too dangerous.
is there a charter service running from martins haven, or do you use your own boats?

how deep are the cod aswel?

tight lines
joejarvy

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are cod there at this time of year but you need to fish tight to the bottom.

As far as fishing there in a 15ft dingy, it all depends on what sort of boat it is and what weather you can handle. If you aint happy about going there with your boat then dont even think about it. I fish in a 440 and a 16ft bonwitco 350 or 400c. They are both fine for a bit of weather but it's down to your own judgement.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I launch from hobbs point in the haven so anything over a force 4 with westerly and we dont get out of the haven if there is a tide running agianst it. Or if there is a low coming the swell usually puts us off.

There can be a good tide running around the islands so you do need settled weather.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes the mid channel (or known locally as the pole) is usually the first port of call on a day out. You can usually get some makerel from there. St Annes is another favourite but the fishing has not been as good this year.

Both marks produce using flying collar on the drift with frozen sandeel or artificials when the tide is running well and using ragworm on a flying collar when the tide is running slow. Bottom fishing is possible with fish baits and rag working equally well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i like to fish the knoll betwen the two islands with a light spinning rod and small ragworm i have had some very good dabs and wat ever comes along brill

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've only fished the knoll about a dozen times. I've had some nice dabs there and a few blonde ray a couple of years back. Funny place to fish though with the odd tides. A freind of mine fishes it quite a lot and pull's out some nice fish from there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts