World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back ma holidays, and I actually went fishing. I think it's the first time this year, so I wasn't hoping for much.
I caught loads (and I means loads) of small Pollack

It appears that I didn't have the same luck as the guys fishing in other parts of the island. I also caught what looked like a cod, it was about the same size as the fish in the photo and I took it on a wedge, does that sound right?
A good few mackerel came my way, most of a very good size.

But the most interesting thing of all was this

What kind of shark is this? I recon it was about 12ft long, and no I'm not kidding. Its size and shape could be seen under the surface and it came within about 10-15ft of the rocks I was on. It didn't do my fishing any good, went home blank that day. I may not be catching prize specimens yet but I'm having a bloody good time trying.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
no a expert but looks like a basking shark fin , seen 2 of them this year 1 south scotland 1 north scotland

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
think its a basking shark ,see quite a few close in too shore over here in Harris
:yeah: Definitely a Basking Shark, Aunt Sally and I saw 5 of them when we were on a boat trip out to Staffa a couple of years ago. We stopped off at another island and sat on the clifftop watching 2 of them lazily feeding in the bay below us. Magic.:fish:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bow to your greater knowledge guys but there was no tail fin showing, shouldn't that be the case with Basking sharks?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hiya,

Yup fin is a Basking Shark (Great White if you read the Sun) and first pic is of a poor Cod.

I was fishing off the rocks on millport during the week and caught something very similar.

It didnt have any bit under its mouth like a normal cod, had a lovely red colouring and had like speckles along the top of its back like say of a trout or salmon.

So would that have been a poor cod too.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I was fishing off the rocks on millport during the week and caught something very similar.

It didnt have any bit under its mouth like a normal cod, had a lovely red colouring and had like speckles along the top of its back like say of a trout or salmon.

So would that have been a poor cod too.
perhaps a pouting? Did any scales come off the fish in your hand?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got scales off of mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts