World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just returned from East Wittering, where the waves were crashing in. I found that with every wave, my line slackened off cosiderably. Is this where my lead is being pushed along the seabed? The lead I was using was a 6 with wires. Am I doing something wrong or was it just down to the conditions?

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Just the weight of the waves crushing down on the slack line, try and get the rod tip higher, in a rest that is straight up, and holds the rod butt about a foot or more off the ground. Do you use a tripod? You need the rod tip about 14 to 15 high to hold the line over the worst of the dumping waves.
If it's very rough, I hold the rod on my hip, so it's very high, nothing wrong with holding the rod in extreme conditions, rather than using a rest.
Also, try and walk uptide 30 yds or so, then cast, maybe slightly uptide too, and leave the line slack until you get back to your fishing spot. Don't tighten the line too much, you need the tide to pull a bow in the line to set the wires on the weight. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
was it weedy? sometimes if the line picks up too much weed it will trip the wires & move, I had this last night, the other thing you can do is the pinch the wires so they're nice & tight & don't break out too easily, maybe the place you fished had loads of tidal current but 6oz should hold quite nicely:thumbs:

I generally hold bottom fine with only 3 or 4 oz but the places I fish don't have much tidal run & I don't often fish when its rough, Rob.......

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just the weight of the waves crushing down on the slack line, try and get the rod tip higher, in a rest that is straight up, and holds the rod butt about a foot or more off the ground. Do you use a tripod? You need the rod tip about 14 to 15 high to hold the line over the worst of the dumping waves.
If it's very rough, I hold the rod on my hip, so it's very high, nothing wrong with holding the rod in extreme conditions, rather than using a rest.
Also, try and walk uptide 30 yds or so, then cast, maybe slightly uptide too, and leave the line slack until you get back to your fishing spot. Don't tighten the line too much, you need the tide to pull a bow in the line to set the wires on the weight. Hope this helps.
Great! I shall try this out.

I was holding my rod, not from the hip though. I tried to keep the tip high as possible.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
was it weedy? sometimes if the line picks up too much weed it will trip the wires & move, I had this last night, the other thing you can do is the pinch the wires so they're nice & tight & don't break out too easily, maybe the place you fished had loads of tidal current but 6oz should hold quite nicely:thumbs:

I generally hold bottom fine with only 3 or 4 oz but the places I fish don't have much tidal run & I don't often fish when its rough, Rob.......
It was very weedy. So that's something else I can keep in mind.

G

·
ah weed , with a rough sea and weed dumping on ur line uv got no chance of holding bottom as the weed acts as a sail in the tide , just a small bit of weed can drag ur line into where the weed is lying in lumps as happened to me the other night

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
So is it better to just pack up and go?
depends on how much patience you have & how long your baits are in the sea before you have to retrieve your line to clear the weed off, if your getting 15-20 mins before the weed gets too bad then its fishable imo, but if its happening every 5 mins then its more trouble than its worth, you'll potentially loose gear too if its too bad, Rob.......

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
depends on how much patience you have & how long your baits are in the sea before you have to retrieve your line to clear the weed off, if your getting 15-20 mins before the weed gets too bad then its fishable imo, but if its happening every 5 mins then its more trouble than its worth, you'll potentially loose gear too if its too bad, Rob.......
Cheers Rob. At the time it was happening between 5-10 mins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts