World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Prepare for a mine of information in this report.....well if you don't want to catch anything that is :wallbash:

Got myself a whole week away down in the South Hams area with 2 fishing buddies and we went down loaded up. Shore rods, LRF rods (first time trying this), lure spinner rods and a box full of crab, mackerel, squid, black lug, sand eel and 3 main rigs, pully pennel, wishbone and 3 hook flapper.

Tried a variety of locations throughout the week including Blackpool sands, Slapton Sands and some marks around the Dartmouth castle as well as the Dart (thought this was with the LRF). Being new to LRF I have no idea if we were unlucky or if we were doing it wrong but with Tronix UL rods and the smallest jig heads and Isome worms it felt rather strange compared to the usual style of beach fishing... water was very murky in the estuary which probably didn't help right from the Castle through Baynards cove right up to the Quay side between the 2 ferry's (for those that know Dartmouth). Tried all sorts of retrieves, baits and even floated for mullet but nothing doing there.

The beach fishing was Blackpool and Slapton mainly where to be honest, the water wasn't looking that bad...it wasn't crystal clear like it can be but not bad. If you can think of a combination of baits and rigs from the above mentioned they were used, at distance, close in, medium range.....nothing, nada...not even sure we got a genuine bite. We fished most tide states and most times of the day and evening (must admit didn't do any 4am sessions as my buddies are more casual anglers than me) but have caught every time before in the same areas and states of tide on similar set ups.

Friday was the final day and as it was glorious sunshine we did a good stint from 1pm to 9.30pm through the ebb down to low and then the flood back to high. It was getting frustrating to say the least and being as it was sunny, warm and we were on the beach thoughts moved to summer fishing and having tried everything else we cracked open the feathers for the mackerel.... about 6.30pm.....SUCCESS, one solitary mackerel came out (decent size mind) and within 30 seconds was off the hook, in pieces and strips presented on a 3 hook flapper, with head and reaming juicy bits on a pulley pennel....this was it, what we had been waiting for, the freshest bait possible.....alas no, as the sun disappeared over the horizon, I wished I kept the mackerel for tea instead because there wasn't a sniff.

I'm by no means a seasoned angler but I can only conclude that, as I suspected at this time of year, the fishing is scarce to say the least...and they just weren't about when we were. Still, was a million times better than a week at work and I'd like to think that our mackerel was a scout for the vast shoals of mackerel heading our way followed, more importantly, by my new PB bass :1a:

Well, you can only dream can't you :cry:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Unlucky chap,

Was a good read even though there was just the 1 mackeral caught.

I went out friday night in one of my usual spots, expecting the usual dogfish, but not even that to save a blank!!

It was dire to say the least, but im hoping you right about the mackeral on the way, cant be long now....

Also i need to get myself a PB Bass this year (and pollack, ray, wrasse, mackeral, cod, flounder, plaice etc etc)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I blanked on Wednesday at Brixham Breakwater; only 2 fish caught, 1 mackeral, 1 looked like a bass by the fat seal:giveup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Unlucky mate, It goes like that there! Blanks the last 2 times for me but good when it's going! I think the fact the are few stable features, no real weed and the fact that the entire beach area had been re-surfaced since February means that it's a bit sterile presently in some respects.

Down there all next week so will keep you posted. Going to do some LRF too (again) with my first ever rod!

Cheers Doomer

·
Registered
760 Posts
Dartmouth is a bit of a non starter for any lrf fishing at the minute the water looks a bit like coffee throughout the river only clearing way out near the western skerries banks isome fished deadstick is probably the only chance of a fish albeit a slim one. Never had much on the lrf rods at either Slapton or Blackpool except mackerel on small vibe blades when they are in abundance and conditions allow. Prawl and Lannacombe are a much better bet down that way at least until the river clears.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Unlucky mate, down there myself over the next 2 weeks. Was hoping to get after a plaice, but if the water is still coloured I think Ill head to the rock marks and try to get into a wrasse or two.
May have a guilt session if I can fit it in, hopefully things will start to improve shortly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts