World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A member of the peterhead angling club caught and killed over 20 mullet just to win some money,this happens alot.:sad2:

I think this club should limit there fish to 3 fish every spieces before they get into trouble.:g:

I dont even think they are SFA registared neither.:spiteful:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I do agree with your outrage here, but what do you expect to achieve by ranting about it on this forum?
If this was an internal club match this guy won then I suggest that you send a strongly worded letter to the Club Secretary.
If it was an Open Competition and "this happens all the time" then shame on the organisers for not putting a ban on bringing Mullet to the scales, and it is they who you should write to.
If the club is not SFSA affiliated then , other than fistycuffs there's really nothing else you can do.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can`t tell you how much that infuriates me t-l, those ***** are brainless morons who know better than to decimate our stocks. I was talking to wooky about this a few weeks ago, they have got to stop this mindless brutality.

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
Saw this guy today and did speak to him about C&R but he said the club did not fish these type of matches (it was a rover.),They need to be educated in match fishing,The worse bit was he said he didnt even like them and he gave them to the chinese for nowt !!!!! What a waste oh cracking hard fighting fish,think he had 5/6 when we left.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
It's not the first time I've heard about the dinosaur antics of Peterhead Sea Angling Club - why the hell do they insist on catch and kill matches :wallbash: :doh: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Is catch, measure and release to much of a modern philosophy for them to comprehend :g::g::g: or maybe they believe in the same philosophy as many of the Peterhead trawlers, we'll take what we want and sod everyone else... :nonono: :nonono:

They would do well to to read this article:

http://www.thenationalmulletclub.org/mcpsept06v3.pdf

if they can read...

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I'm not going to climb completely on my soap box but..........

I refuse to fish non catch and release matches, the conger all nighter especially, anymore. Time we gave up this old way of bringing fish back to the scales.

Jim:nonono:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
This is the reason I left the Peterhead club all their matches are rovers and there were often hundreds of fish brought to the weigh in which just ended up as pot bait. As was mentioned by tight-liner all for a few quid.

rossb this is just an internal club match fished every second Sunday which will give you an idea of the scale of the problem but it seems to be the same people who target them every time with no regard to the preservation of what is essentially a sport fish.

I will try and get details of the club secretary.

·
Registered
76 Posts
:nono::nono:This type of behaviour just makes my blood boil, as it puts more emphasis on their trivial competition before the sustainability of the fish stocks and enjoyment of every other decent fisherman:nono::nono:
The only godsend is that they are a minority, who should do the decent thing and change their practice or hang up their tackle, or is that be hung up by their tackle - not sure????:g:

·
Registered
461 Posts
A member of the peterhead angling club caught and killed over 20 mullet just to win some money,this happens alot.:sad2:

I think this club should limit there fish to 3 fish every spieces before they get into trouble.:g:

I dont even think they are SFA registared neither.:spiteful:
you see,this is when it comes down to education.these ***** killed a wad of mullet to win a bit of cash,then the organisers sell the fish on and make even more.these events should be boycoted by all.c&r is the best policy.they should have officials there to weigh and measure before they're released then they've got it logged on black an white and not in blood:uhuh:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do agree with your outrage here, but what do you expect to achieve by ranting about it on this forum?
I can`t answer for t-l but this gathers support against this practice for one thing, Many of us wouldn`t have known about this despicable act had they not read it here ! If millser gets details of the club secretary, I think the more of us who voice our dismay at their barbaric practice the better. Perhaps a name & shame of the club in the local rag would be the next step, God knows, the press love a story about anything thats harmful to the enviroment.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
God knows, the press love a story about anything thats harmful to the enviroment.
problem being it would,nt only be the anglers from that club , every angler would be tarred with the same brush !! an just give the tree huggers more amo !! a strongly worded letter to the secretary of the club asking him to change their weigh in policy !! might not work as some clubs still live in the dark ages !!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
as good news doesnt sell newspapers but bad news will i can see the headlines now

East Coast Anglers At War

·
Registered
342 Posts
problem being it would,nt only be the anglers from that club , every angler would be tarred with the same brush !! an just give the tree huggers more amo !! a strongly worded letter to the secretary of the club asking him to change their weigh in policy !! might not work as some clubs still live in the dark ages !!
I hear what you`re saying, people will just gloss over the facts and think us all fish murdering scum, but not if it was worded right.
As for raising our concerns with the secretary, we won`t know until we try will we ! I bet if the club worked on a catch measure & release basis they`d have more members. More members = higher prize money.
If they`re prime motive for entering is to get themselves a bit of cash as opposed to sport then perhaps combining the two would be a workable compromise.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
At the start of this post, it was suggested that a three fish limit woukld be preferable in roving events, especially on coastlines where pegging is impossible. But why is it whenever the killing of fish by anglers is mentioned, there is the usual hue and cry from the same people. Yet mention gill nets and they all fall silent. I have been against this indiscriminate killing method for years, writing to every organisation that I can think of, without success I may add. McCool recently posted a good thread highlighting this practice, yet how many responded to this?
Quite often I have posted regarding these nets yet not one bit of support, from those who say how unhappy they are with fish being killed. Fishing with rod and line is a blood sport.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is the reason that myself, Tight-liner & slack-liner stopped fishing the club comps, I think the biggest problem they have is trust in recording fish by length or weight and returning the fish.

Because its a rover you have guys going off as individuals as they do not want to reveal there mark to other anglers.

I have voiced my concerns to the club but they do not want to adopt a new meathod of recording catches as it could be open to cheating within the club.

I think that if they are going to kill fish like the 10 mullet witnessed on Sunday, A bag limit must be imposed as this will then reduce the severity of the killing the is currently going on now.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts