World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Some in the 'states call this style the "Hatteras Cast", as the man says, it can exceed 700 feet, so it is definitely not just an overhead thump, but a simple and effective method, and easy to learn.

philtherod

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi all i dont know were this cast originated from but i watched whitley bay lads fishing dawdon blast years ago one of them was tony tayler who wrote in the sea angler for years and is a very good angler, the thing is this cast apart from overhead thump is safest i have used it says sleeper cast but i wonder were it originated from as it was used years ago on my beach with great success.hatterass diferent cast altogether
john

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
That's not the Hatteras cast that I was shown by the florida surfcasters!

philthefish

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Thats what I use to Dabhand....and know it as a Lob cast
I now :) do the aerial mini Unitech.....seems much easier
for me to cast a moving lead than a stationary one
like the OTG ..it s like the golf swing analogy
I need to waggle the rod/lead to get the cast started
cant seem to generate a start from a "dead stop"

each to their own me thinks..!!

Gaz :)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi gaz, yes you are spot on everybody to there own i think we all like to watch these vid clips thats why i put them up, i would like to know were sleeper cast originated from but cant find out. nearly all my fishing i do a pendulem cast sometimes high sometimes flat i just enjoy doing but the sleeper cast i do sometimes if a few people down ,i am not keen on high inertia cast i dont think it is very kind on rods.
john

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Many people reckon that it's just a version of the Brighton cast. I've also heard of that being called a unitech too so it might well be a version of that. Sleeper cast is a US term as far as I am aware but it's much easier to say and spell than an "aerialized brighton".
Much idea poaching goes on in angling my guess is some one some where tried it, found it was good some one else and others some where noticed and it got named as it spread. Same for a straight Brighton. The 1st cast of that type may have actually been done anywhere.
It's an interesting area. I read and old uk book written long before many people travelled that describes a "continental cast". I've never seen any reference to it anywhere else. Given the nature of some book writers it might be fiction but it does mention light tackle and long rods so who knows. It might even have only been practised in one particular area. It could even have died out.

John

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
or it could have been an early name for the "South African" cast (long through-actioned rods and OTG with lots of body-rotation)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dabhanded,

what's the difference between a "flat arc pendulum" and an "X-cast"
I know I could get a dvd from Keith White to show the latter, or find out at casting club....but I thought i'd ask here first.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The south african is a gound cast with the lead well back towards the angler. If the rod is in the casting position some say that a ground cast is when the line is at up to a 30 degree angle with the rod anything more is a south african cast. In the extreme it could be at 90 degrees say as anything more than that begins to look like a brighton but body movement and position of the rod at the start of the cast comes into it too. It's all a bit woolly really.

Refer any disputes to John Holden. I'm just more or less repeating what he states as it does make sense and have added the brighton bit myself.

.John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
This cast naming makes me lol. It's a joke and really does cause confusion. Maybe some national body (parasites maybe paid for with rod licenses) should set some naming standards or maybe it could be referred to iso or sae :).

The hatteras cast is shown on the hatteras outfitters web site. Looks like the lead gets into as simular position to an easy pendulum but it needs a lot of body movement to do that.
As to the sleeper being an overhead thump I think Phil will confirm that distances well over 700ft with 0.325 mms line, a compo rod and 5 1/4ozs of lead is a very respectable distance.

John

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Many people reckon that it's just a version of the Brighton cast. I've also heard of that being called a unitech too so it might well be a version of that. Sleeper cast is a US term as far as I am aware but it's much easier to say and spell than an "aerialized brighton".
Much idea poaching goes on in angling my guess is some one some where tried it, found it was good some one else and others some where noticed and it got named as it spread. Same for a straight Brighton. The 1st cast of that type may have actually been done anywhere.
It's an interesting area. I read and old uk book written long before many people travelled that describes a "continental cast". I've never seen any reference to it anywhere else. Given the nature of some book writers it might be fiction but it does mention light tackle and long rods so who knows. It might even have only been practised in one particular area. It could even have died out.

John
continental cast: http://myfishcasting.org/casting_forum/viewtopic.php?p=41263#41263 the finish of it sounds fun !

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
All I have is a description of the cast that also states that it can achieve very respectable distances. Long rods, light lines etc. Basically the lead is swung round the rod in a circular pattern and at some point there is a sudden reversal that forms the actual cast. No photo's, no diagrams or any other info in it. I must try and find the book Phil may be able to shed some light on it.
The cast makes some sort of sense and could be very effective but the timing must be critical and not the easiest of things to do.

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts